Ya_basta #275365 10/17/09 07:10 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I don't know. Choosing a Zune over an iPod seems like as much of a statement as choosing one cola over another. I'm sure you have other much more meaningful flourishes of individuality.

Re: So I stopped into a Bose store today....
Argon #275366 10/17/09 07:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Argon
I just went to an Apple store for the first time 3 weeks ago. Exactly the same image went through my mind when I read that paragraph. It was hard not to be impressed. We were there because my daughter's Touch on/off was not functioning. They replaced the Touch on the spot. She came home from college a week later and called us that week to say that the new Touch was not functioning correctly either. She is back in town this week and Apple replaced it yet again - no questions asked. I have never been an Apple fan boy but must admit I have been impressed. My wife is wanting a laptop and I am now seriously considering a Macbook Pro.

Going back to this post. I was just thinking how many times I've heard this exact story. Yeah, that's great they replaced your item no questions asked, twice. Then everyone defends Apple's higher prices on the fact that they use quality parts. Aren't these two scenarios at odds with each other? Perhaps Apple's higher prices are due to the number of warranty replacements they know they're going to have to do.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #275390 10/17/09 09:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Apple's customer service can be quite good. Their replacement policy can be dumbfounding (in a positive way). Sometimes you take something into the genius bar for repair, even when it's out of warranty. Then they will fix it or replace it, all with a good attitude. For me, in this day and age, that kind of customer service is unparalleled. Yeah, there's the Apple tax, but sometimes, it's good to have paid it. I'm also lucky to be w/ in 5 minutes of 2 Apple Stores, both w/ Genius Bars. So all I have to do is go online to make an apt and then show up 5 min before. Maybe Microsoft will copy that in their stores, that would be great for Win 7 and Zune users.

Going back to Bose...I didn't want to bash but I heard a funny commercial on their Wave Radio today. My F.I.L. has one and I think it sounds great for a clock radio. They were giving testimonials and gave a quote from the "News-Gazette". I thought it was a joke, that's like News News. But lo and behold, it's a paper in Illinois. Really? That's the best name?

oldskoolboarder #275392 10/17/09 10:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I chuckle when I see ads for the Bose desktop computer speakers or the Wave Radio in magazines like Scientific American....Doh!

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Re: About Apple....
Ya_basta #275403 10/18/09 12:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I will be sticking with my false dichotomy to be individualistic.

I think that makes you dichotic, but we need to consult with JP to confirm.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
ClubNeon #275479 10/18/09 08:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
The Bose 901s are some of the least flat speakers ever made. To get around this Bose includes an EQ to flatten their response. They're so bad that there's not enough headroom in the auto-EQing systems of today's receiver to correct them. So one must use the tape-loop to insert Bose's EQ into the signal path. Too bad no one builds receivers with tape-loops anymore. Additionally the amount of gain applied to some of the audio bands reduces the headroom of the amp in the receiver and can cause it to distort/clip.

The 901s were Bose's first foray into gimmickry.

Well we were in college in the '70s.......close to the '60s - so it all sounded good mainly because it was loud. Plus, we thought the equalizer was "cool". The other guy on the hall had JBL 300s and there was always the argument over which was better. Of course in the 70's it was before Al Gore invented the internet where I could ask more informed folks such as the ones here.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
ClubNeon #275481 10/18/09 08:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Going back to this post. I was just thinking how many times I've heard this exact story. Yeah, that's great they replaced your item no questions asked, twice. Then everyone defends Apple's higher prices on the fact that they use quality parts. Aren't these two scenarios at odds with each other? Perhaps Apple's higher prices are due to the number of warranty replacements they know they're going to have to do.

I want to stress that I am not defending Apple just making some observations. Your supposition on price is just that - supposition. They can charge the price that the market will bear. Part of the pricing is no doubt due to the fact that there are Apple stores and Genius Bars in the first place. And it is nice to make an appt on line and then get answers on the spot. My Genius was a young guy wearing a VN Tiger Camo booney hat with the sides rolled up to make it look sort of cowboyish. He said that the on/off button not working was highly unusual?

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
PeterChenoweth #275500 10/19/09 12:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Your experience echoes mine. I've been into a couple of Bose stores. For no other reason than when I've been stuck at a Mall with family as wives shopped. Exactly the kind of customer that Bose tries to lure.

Bose's genius has always been in their marketing. We all love to bash Bose (for good reason), but they are a shrewdly run business. Commercials, sponsorships, & partnerships with car manufacturers; it's all about exposure. They've dumped tons of money into those Bose stores too, and they put them in high-traffic areas like shopping & outlet malls. And in my experience, often in "man-store-deficient" malls. Typical guys flock to them because there's nothing else to do. And if they haven't taken the time or energy to research what other brands sound like, they end up buying $4,000 cube systems that are sonically annihilated by $1,000 systems from a multitude of other manufacturers.

I've known a lot of people who are very proud of their Bose systems. You know, showing it off at a dinner/superbowl party or talking about it at work, etc. I'm polite, and so I try not to be a jerk about it, but I always ask about what other brands they listened to before deciding on Bose. In every case I can remember, the answer basically is, "None. I didn't need to. I just heard that Bose was the best." Ignorance is bliss.

People are, in general, naive. We believe what we're told. We like shiny things and flashing lights. We like to be sold on a product. Nicely-dressed & groomed salespeople in a clean, modern, "chic" store alter people's perceptions of the product. There's a reason Dolce & Gabbana can sell $1,000 shoes, and Louis Vuitton can sell $10,000 luggage. Some of that value is quality (sometimes more, sometimes less), but some of that price is simply marketing & image hype. Bose stores work on the same principle, with even less quality & even more hype.

Now personally, I don't care if people buy products based solely on marketing hype and image. It's their life & their money. Bose is there for that. But I think a lot of people buy Bose because it's convenient. Their massive marketing has put their name in the minds of millions of people. Bose springs to mind when un-sonically-experienced people want "good" audio gear, because that's how it's marketed. But every time I see a Bose store, I just wish there was an Axiom, Energy, Paradigm, B&W, Dynaudio, etc store next to it so that people would have an equal opportunity to hear what *real* speakers sound like in comparison.

Oh, and the best way to screw around with a Bose salesman? Start asking about power outputs and frequency response. That's always fun. \:\)

Those arguments are true for alot more than just Bose speakers.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
pmbuko #275501 10/19/09 12:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko

I could have had practically any laptop I wanted at work. I got a Mac. I could have gotten practically any mobile phone. I got an iPhone. I made these choices in spite of the silly cool factor.

But just in case Peter, now you ARE really cool, for certain!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #275506 10/19/09 01:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
[quote=chesserooBut just in case Peter, now you ARE really cool, for certain! [/quote]
Yeah, but thats not his fault.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters