Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 85 of 87 1 2 83 84 85 86 87
Re: So who did ya see in concert last night?
medic8r #414591 09/22/15 07:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I believe you are correct. they are apparently retiring after this tour. Your very lucky to get a chance to see them live. Its the end of a great era , very sad indeed.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
medic8r #414742 09/30/15 06:56 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Tragically Hip, Paramount Theater, Seattle 9/29/15.

"Fully Completely" is a masterpiece.

Gord Downie is a freak of the highest order. And probably an artistic genius.

Really great show.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #414900 10/10/15 02:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Vanilla Fudge tore the roof off! Pushing 70 and they're playing and harmonies are as good as ever. Most of the people there were older than I am! There were 40/50-something women there. Definitely second wives being dragged along. And a pair of Goth kids with their parents. Cutting time for them, I'm sure.

Carmine Appice is the biggest drummer I've ever seen; snare drum hits like gunfire, and double bass drums to rumble your thorax.

Oh, and there was so much bad black hair color on that stage, that there should have been rivulets of gray liquid dripping onto the floor by night's end.

Mark Stein's hair and full beard (and his face) looked like he was 43. Figures. The Jewish guy is smart enough to go to a pro. The two Italians hair is "suicide" black (dyed by their own hands.) I guess life on Lon Gisland is still comfortably familiar.

Last edited by SqBobGodPants; 10/10/15 02:39 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
medic8r #417072 02/15/16 09:44 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Grace Potter at the Showbox
Seattle, WA
February 13, 2016

At least she took her shoes off. That made me feel a little better.

Despite my longtime passion for Grace Potter’s music, I seem to have reached a point where her artistic expression diverges from my interest. Oh, she’s still a dynamic, sexy performer with a tremendous voice. She may be the most gifted rock vocalist of this era, and her live shows always reveal something more about her artistic expression than is apparent from the studio recordings.

And that’s the problem. Up until now, that enhanced expression included mostly increased intensity (a revelatory heavy metal version of “Look What We’ve Become”), opportunities to display ample virtuosity by her and the band (a beautiful duet with Benny Yurco on “Low Road”), and surprising new arrangements of old favorites (a driving, guitar-goddess and drums version of “Nothing but the Water”).

Saturday’s show at Seattle’s Showbox revealed a new and baffling performance strategy – extended psychedelic jams with interpretive dance. During both “Loneliest Soul” and “Turntable”, Grace and the band digressed into interminably long, dissonant, freak outs including Plant-esque quasi-orgasmic vocals. The break during the latter song was especially awkward, as it brought the show to a complete halt during the period when fans have come to rightfully expect a sustained, high-energy dance party. This time, Grace was the only one dancing and everyone else just seemed mystified.

Grace has always been very upfront about being an Artist (with a capital A) who follows her muse. But her decision to over-indulge in the early-1970’s, light-show enhanced mystical dance number just wasn’t good performance art. First off, it’s already been done – you can’t out-Zeppelin Zeppelin, and revival of a 45 year old, then-progressive mechanism should probably be reserved for special occasions with special performers. Second, it detracts from the outrageous fun of the rest of the show, which naturally features her fine songwriting along with happy, energetic interpretations of cover songs. Until now, within both songs and setlists, she has always shown a keen sensibility for dramatic ebb and flow. The fundamental flaw, however, is that it just wasn’t interesting. Grace’s artistic vision and vocation includes enjoying performing, singing and dancing. Most people are willing to be challenged by art, and its quality is inherently subjective. The indictment of Grace’s Saturday dance jams is that they were neither challenging nor fun; when art is boring, it ceases to be either art or entertainment.

In addition to the previously mentioned gems, the two-and-a-half hour show had some other great moments. For perhaps the first time, the band performed a new song called “You Love Another” – a typically fun, hip-hop laced tune that still preserves the melodic rock sensibility Grace is known for. And you haven’t really lived until you’ve seen Grace Potter perform an extended version of “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy”. Likewise, the Bowie medley during the encore was heartfelt and energetic. Since the Seattle show closed this leg of the tour, there seemed to be genuine joy among the performers as they used the “Paris” finale as a heavy metal jam to acknowledge support crew members.

Eliza Hardy Jones opened the show with a set of quirky pop-rock tunes. Her manner and voice is reminiscent of a Voice contestant with a big glasses and clear vocals but little ability to elicit passion among the audience. She has a fine, reedy voice that is very well suited to her position as a backup singer/keyboardist in Grace’s Magical Midnight Roadshow. And many of the songs were very nicely crafted but seemed ill suited to her delivery. Her performance was somewhat of a disappointment, given the high caliber and very rocking nature of the other opening acts who have supported Grace at other shows I’ve seen.

The overall tenor of the show seemed to be palpably about “Grace Potter The Performance Artist” rather than a Grace Potter and the Nocturnals Rock and Roll Show. I’m not among her fans that inherently resist artistic evolution or who dislike “Midnight”. I just prefer Rock Star Grace to Artist Grace.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #417073 02/15/16 10:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, Tommy gets inspired by disappointment! You go, Tom! Nice piece.

"Extended psychedelic jams and interpretive dance" would instantly make me homicidal. The jams I would kill for; the dance, more likely, suicide.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
medic8r #417074 02/15/16 11:17 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Last Sat night - my favourite blues guy David Gogo played electric blues at the Highwayman Saloon in Union Bay, BC. He is up for a Juno Award (Canada's Grammys) for his album 'Vicksburg Call'.

'Anela' from Comox, BC opened for David. He is a native Hawaiian who immigrated here & lives down the street from me. Great guitarist in his own right.

Superb performance as ever & much beer was consumed by yours truly. Thankfully shuttle buses were provided, ha! Some FB stuff here of the concert - scroll down for pics & a short video of his beer bottle slide playing:

https://www.facebook.com/Highwayman-Saloon-956279494412963/

TAM

medic8r #417428 03/06/16 02:42 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I got to see Emmy the Great perform on Wednesday at Barboza in Seattle. I've been listening to her since around... 2008. I've been wanting to see her live for a while, so I'm glad I finally made it happen.

Except for the venue. More often than not, I'm underwhelmed by the sound quality at live shows, and this concert was one of the best examples of poor sound. The equipment simply could not handle the volume, so it was tons of distortion the whole time, which is pretty bad when her sound is so light to begin with. I'm to the point where I wouldn't be opposed to certifications for music venues, so there's a baseline for sound quality. I did get to try out the DUBS Acoustic Filters I bought. I probably wasn't wearing them right, as the bass made it feel like they were going to be shaken out, but they did their job of attenuating the sound. I gave my sister a different brand, Hearos. She seemed happy with how they fit, and was definitely thankful I had the foresight to bring them along.

But beyond the issue with the sound, I was happy I got my chance to see her. I was disappointed with the size of the crowd, though. I didn't know anything about the venue, but it's actually in the basement of Neumos, which itself isn't a big venue. This really was just a bar with maybe half a dozen booths, a couple of higher tables in the middle, a bit of an area for people to stand, and the stage. And it was not close to full. I felt bad for Emmy, especially since she said it was her first Seattle show. I hope she comes back in the future.

She was doing almost everything herself. I thought I saw her walk in while my sister and I waited in a booth, carrying a couple of bags. She disappeared back where the restrooms were, and I suppose the green room must have been back there somewhere, too. She came out later, her hands full, and she was talking to the people sitting at the booth outside the restrooms. Then she started setting stuff down on the table. After a few minutes, the people got up and relocated. When she retreated to the green room again, I leaned over to my sister. "I'm going to go see what's there. I think she just made that her merch table." Yeah, Emmy the Great merchandise, so I no longer had any doubt that it was her.

She was in and out several more times while the opener performed. Gracie and Rachel. My sister and I didn't really get into them at all. I imagine part of it was the abominable sound, but the songs all had the same feel to them, the same pacing. I kept waiting for something to jump out at me.

After they took their setup off-stage, Emmy and her two accompanying musicians started to bring their stuff out. At first it was just Emmy bringing it out. Before starting the performance, she did some weird lip-quivering thing, which I assume was some pre-show exercise thing for nimbleness? It was fun to watch, at least. Ha ha. She was cute and funny, telling us she had another set she'd do after the main one, which would be older material that we didn't have to stick around for. She had a guy from the crowd come up and help her with a song he'd requested on Twitter (I think). She couldn't remember all of the lyrics, so she'd had to look them up online with spotty internet access. They were two screenshots on her phone, so his job was to keep her phone from going black, and then switching from one image to the next when the time came. He doubted his ability to do it, but she told him she believed in him. "We're doing this together," she commanded.

I had fun.

After the show, she didn't take long to come out and meet people at her merch table. She talked for quite a while to the guy who had made the song request. Then another person or two, and then she was given a signal by someone from the venue staff, and she said, "Okay, I have ten minutes, so who else wants to buy something?" And then right after some guy decided to talk her ear off. I don't know what he was saying, but she ended up apologizing about something, and gave him a hug. Like I said, I don't know what he was saying, but her apology made it sound like it wasn't anything she had any control over, maybe not even directly related to her, but she let him go on and on about whatever it was. Then someone from the staff said, "Five minutes, and we have to close up." I think there were a couple of people in front of me, and maybe only one or two people behind me. I was getting antsy. The people ahead of me got their autographs and photos, and then I was up. I bought one of the S EP vinyls, as well as the new album on CD, which isn't actually out until the 11th. So I can cancel my preorder on Amazon now.

"I first saw your name in the liner notes on Lightspeed Champion's first album," I told her. She had done guest vocals. I bought it after seeing them perform on Conan. "Aww," she said. "You do know how great he is, don't you?" I told her I hadn't kept up with him since he'd changed to Blood Orange, but that I would have to look him up again. She was moving on to the next person, so I think I kind of barked when I asked if I could get my photo with her. But she smiled and put her arm around me. My sister's phone's camera app hadn't been working right, so I had given her mine. The flash was on automatic, but for whatever reason, it didn't go off when she took the picture, even though I'd tested it just before going to the merch table. I wasn't about to ask her to wait for another attempt with the couple of other people waiting for their turn. It's too bad it got so rushed because of the long conversations two of the people had with her. I would have liked my vinyl autographed, since I actually already owned a copy. I figured I'd keep my autographed copy and give my friend the other one. Next time, if she plays anywhere close again. In any case, someone did some tweaking of the image:

Here is a questionnaire she handed out after the show:

And here is the free song download mentioned:

We Are Vanished (SoundCloud)

If any of you happen to know anything about who wrote the song, it sounds like she really wants to know.

medic8r #418999 05/09/16 02:34 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Just got back from seeing the Spoons along with Mike Score (flock of seagulls). All in a benefit concert for Ronald McDonnald house in Toronto. It was an amazing experience. Having grown up in the 80's to get to listen to those favorite songs live. A night to remember for me

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #419507 06/19/16 10:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Lake Street Dive at the Buckhead Theater. Fantastic show! The Lone Bellow opened for them - they were worthy of the ticket price by themselves! Ricky McKinnie of The Blind Boys of Alabama joined them for a song as well. In all, 3+ hours of non-stop music, not counting the set change, of course.

Scott

My HT
medic8r #419861 07/27/16 01:17 AM
O
onn Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
O
Went to the Peter Gabriel and Sting concert on Sunday night at Rexall Place. I was a great concert. Unfortunately I don't care that much for Sting and would have preferred Peter going solo. It was the last show of their tour if that makes any difference. I took a bad video of "In your eyes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

Page 85 of 87 1 2 83 84 85 86 87

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020