Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Re: WHAT Completion - Step 3f of 5...
RickF #279024 11/13/09 10:41 PM
shareholder in the making
Yeah, Tom, but they have to get up at 3 AM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #279025 11/13/09 10:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That is true Ken, a lot of times I'll get on here prior to heading out the door at 4 in the morning for work and there will still be a couple (CV for sure) west coasters still hanging out.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #279026 11/13/09 10:51 PM
So in Rick's case, he gets up at midnight.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #279038 11/14/09 01:13 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well... one bad cable... But not a hard one to replace. My living room is close to be like before and is now habitable... Now time will start to move slowly...
(tomorrow is Harmony 890 re-programming fun!)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #279081 11/14/09 04:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think we need to start referring to Eric as "The Cable Guy".

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Re: WHAT Completion - Step 3g of 5...
Adrian #279095 11/14/09 07:13 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Close enough to the end. The only things left require intervention of external forces:

A. Landlord to come and make a big hole in one wall (I already talked to him)

B. USPS to bring me a few new cables... (1 15' HDMI cable to be appended to a 35' cable due to a gross computation error. and, 3x6' component cables to extend the mother of all cables that ended up too short after I decided to put the processor on the other side of the unit and on top, an 8' difference! and one other that I will mention a bit later in this post ).

C. The BO problem needs fixing as fast as QC can do it

In the meantime, for the rest, I'm all done!

Pictures (of course!).

1-2. That corner was a source of embarassement every time a visitor came. It's one thing to have a mess of cable at the back of a hard-to-reach entertainment unit. It is another to loose cables in a 9 sq-foot area next to your couch! All is clean now. Black power bar is grounded, white one is on regular (and old) house circuits.

Then we had the table that was there... it cannot get very close to the wall... I haven't put the headphone amp yet. But, as you can see, the cables are already there.

3. New back of the unit. Still a lot o cables, but I can see the floor! One of the reason I did this, among many, is that I was afraid to move the unit without endangering the A1400 with all sorts of loose connections and stuff that could create a big short!

4. One of the next steps: the hole in the wall. This is where the mother of all cables is currently terminated. It is not yet installed on the wall (to pass two doors) as I need it to bring component video and digital audio to my writing room until BO becomes OD.

Since the cables are not long enough, I will actually "terminate" the cables there, use connectors and pass the shorter cables in the holes. That way, if I ever need to split the signal for some other needs, I will have a convenient place to do it.

5. The new unit! I am very pleased with the new layout of equipment. Only two devices requiring physical interventions are inside the cabinet and they are the least used: VHS and HD-DVD. All the others are external (BD-20, Oppo 980, PS-3). The fact that I no longer need to use two HDMI swicthes also helps clean the inside of the unit. The component switch is very happy in its drawer. Very convenient to cross-connect so many wires! Pull the drawer and voilà !

There seems to be something missing on the top left corner, isn't there?

6. Axiom's crime against humanity! Now the ranting starts. As you can see on the picture, I have detected an incredible design oversight. 'They' have put the XLR connection WAY at the top right of the box. EVERYBODY knows that it MUST be on the lower left! Otherwise, people may pass cables that are 3 <i>inches</i> too short, confident that they were that they were interfacing with good designers. Tssk. I might write a letter about that!

A 3 feet XLR extension has been ordered as well... But not in the same order as the other cables as I realized the 'design flaw' too late...

And now for a bit of rest, at least physically. I still need to finish programming the remote control in advance. I will post at some other point what are the new possibilities of the new setup (what I can do and from where). BTW, I have already put my old QS8 stand in the back room... maybe in the not-too-distant future?

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #279176 11/16/09 01:31 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
And I thought I was going to be able to spend the whole day writing! Spent a few hours between specs and manuals and realized I needed to pass a few more analog cables to get audio in all circumstances (including when content is flagged as "do not copy"). BUT, the good news is that I'm all ready (apart from the three items listed Yesterday); even my remote control is fully re-configured to manage all the equipment from all the places.

The pre/pro is also already configured (they have a PC program) and all I need to connect with a serial cable!

SO, as I 'promised' yesterday, here are the list of "zones" and their purpose.

LIVING ROOM: Powered by A1400-8 as "zone 3" (it's a '12v trigger' thing). In that area, all videos end up at 1080p and all audio formats are supported.

OFFICE: (audio) Zone 2 analog output is used to connect to Audiobytes. Only the audio of the PS3 requires me to configure/reconfigure 'multi-audio' out. All the others are supplying (through the source itself or the processor) a stereo version.

OFFICE: (video) A copy of the HDMI signal sent to the TV in the living room is also sent to an HDMI switch in my office connected to my secondary display (a 1080p LCP monitor). The monitor is not HDCP so no Blu-ray or HD-DVD in my office (which doesn't bother me). The important was to be able to watch sporting events while I write or work.

REVISION ROOM: (audio) M22s (eventually augmented by QS-8) powered by Onkyo 805. Two separate audio lines are coming in. An SPDIF from the "digital record" output of the processor carries the original source if the source was also SPDIF or a re-sampled 24/96 PCM if the source was analog (if the source is HDMI it cannot be used unless a source-downmixed stereo version or 6-channel analog is also present at the same time).

REVISION ROOM: (audio) The second audio line is actually the unbalanced pre-outs of the processor (active at the same time as the balanced ones). It is used to feed the Onkyo directly. If the source is 6-channel direct, then the revision room receives unprocessed analog output. This is for use with SACD changer and it also fully supports simulcast (watching something while listening to something else).

REVISION ROOM: (video) That room contains my good old 720p TV. It takes its input from the secondary HDMI output of the processor which can be configured independently from the first one (but showing the same thing).

Well, that's about it! There is heck of a lot more details then what I just mentioned, but it more or less sums it up.

I'll be back to bother you people when my pre/pro is no longer Back Order...

Last edited by EFalardeau; 11/16/09 01:32 AM.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #279192 11/16/09 07:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like on hell of a project. Hope you get to enjoy it for years to come!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #279334 11/17/09 02:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow, Looks like it's really coming together. I'm going to have to go back and read the details when I get more time.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #279342 11/17/09 02:51 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yeah, it's coming together... except for the part that I am out of a sound system since last Monday and probably will be until 10-14 days! \:\(

I use to feel sorry for people having to send critical pieces of equipment back for repairs for weeks at a time... Now I feel even more empathy!

It will make the arrival of the pre/pro that much more exciting! Especially since I am SOOO ready (all configured, even the Harmony 890 for multi-room), it will be nearly plug-and-play... nearly. \:\)

See Mojo's signature
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020