Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
My Axiom impressions
#28785 12/24/03 06:59 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, my set up is almost complete. (For now) I am still waiting on my new VTF2 to arrive. (They were here this morning, but was out a couple hours and FedEx didn't drop off.) But as far as my Axioms (2 M60s, VP150, 2 QS8s), I can start off by saying I am impressed!

They arrived Monday well packed, thankfully as the outer box on both M60s were damaged. (around the handle cutouts.) One had about a hand sized hole in it. As far as quality of build and appearance of the finish, I am more than satisfied. I think they look great. If I had one complaint it would be the grills. They seem a little cheap compared to the rest of the "package".

As far as the sound, I would say my very first impression was relief! I, like many others, did not get the opportunity to listen to these speakers before buying. I took the leap of faith on what I read on these speakers anywhere I could find it. (Rarely negative, but there were few speaking of "brightness" and the like which I was unsure if I even knew what that meant. But it made me skeptical).

I listened to quite a few speakers, trying to figure out what this "brightness" was. My favorite speaker during my trek was easily the Paradigm Studio 100s. At $2000 a pair, $3600 with the surrounds and center, the most expensive I even remotely considered, were alot more than I can afford. I won't go into detail of all the speakers I listened to, but I did kind of like the Klipsch. I tried to bring the cost down to reality, so I listened to the RF 35s (and matching Surrounds and center, cost for all around $1700) I was informed these were "the infamous" bright sound I was looking for. I could of bought those speakers and probably been happy with, although definately inferior to the Paradigm.

I am so happy, I got the Axioms! The highs are crystal clear. I played drums for years, and I want to hear the hi hat and cymballs and nothing I listened to (including a pair of $7000 Snells) delivered the highs better than the Axioms. The midrange is just as clear. Again nothing else I listened to outdone the Axioms. As far as bass. I'll steal another term. "Tight", on the money and very clear. The Paradigm did outperform the Axioms here IMO, but at almost 3x the cost, not by $1200!!

I don't know how to explain these speakers sound using all this "audiophile" terminology, but I know they sound real good. Especially for the money, IMO, Axioms outperformed all in the same price range I listened to and all but one costing double or more. Snell not included.

I must note my biggest thing was music on the 2 fronts. But as far as HT, I am equally impressed though inexperienced. The 150 is awesome and the QS8s really do sound great! Both at a MINIMUM are just as good as anything I even considered buying. I love these speakers! I still am not sure what this bright sound is, I just know these speakers sound very good. Very, very clear, absolutely amazing. What a great buy! I can only imagine what these will sound like once my sub arrives. (where is that SOB anyway?!!)

Thanks to all for the advice I received on this forum, thank you Axiom. I had talked to Brent as well as ordered from him, and was nothing but helpfull. If you are on the fence about purchasing these speakers, just do it. I doubt you will be dissapointed. Unless you have a extra couple grand you really just want to just throw away. I haven't turned my system off for one minute that I have been home.

I will also add I am using the Yamaha RXV1400, it also gets no complaints from me. Everything sounds great. I love it too!

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
Re: My Axiom impressions
#28786 12/27/03 04:29 AM
P
P
Hey Foxtrot,

Great minds think alike. You have EXACTLY the same system I have ordered. My 1400 and the sub are not in either so your about a week ahead of me.

Let me know how the setup on the 1400 goes. Also, what are you doing for cables?

Cheers.

Re: My Axiom impressions
#28787 12/27/03 03:35 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Set up was easier than I thought. I think the 1400 manual is well written. I did the basic setup first, just to get it going, then used the auto setup and finally fine tuned it all in only a couple hours.

As far as cables, it depends what all you have. I have a cable box, dvd player and cd changer. I needed 3 sets of component video cables, 2sets of digital coaxle cables and being my cd changer is old a set of rca cables. Of course speaker wire and a sub cable.

Good luck with your new setup.

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,014 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup