Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Axiom VP Series Quandaries……
Ken.C #288325 01/23/10 04:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ah Ha! Found it....

World's Largest Axiom Audio Installation

...because I don't have anything exciting going on in my life today.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #288326 01/23/10 04:43 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I don't remember who posted the thread, but here's the site for the place:

World's Largest Axiom Audio Installation

RickF #288327 01/23/10 04:43 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Ahh, cool, you got it.

CV #288331 01/23/10 05:14 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Good discussion.

So Dean, if I understand you correctly, you have a general preference for a vertically orientated center channel verses a horizontal arrangement and you prefer this arrangement because you feel it provides better off axis imaging? You don’t really have any concerns with the VP150’s performance or its design characteristics, correct? And you also feel that the VP150 has a slight tonal difference than your M80 mains and you feel the cabinet size is the limiting factor that is contributing to this difference?

If you were king for a day, what would you do differently with the VP to make it satisfy your desired center channel characteristics for both HT (Movie) and music listening?

grunt #288335 01/23/10 06:07 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: grunt
The best reason I can give people for using an identical center to there mains is that you never see anyone using 2 different left and right mains presumably because they share a lot of audio information between them so you want them to sound as similar as possible. Since a center seems in most material to share even more information with the L/R mains than those speakers even share between each other why would you want to use a different speaker unless you had to.

I had actually considered 3 horizontal centre speakers across the front, but I wasn't able to find any centre speakers that sounded as good as the mains. I'm sure they're out there, but space and $ limitations unfortunately dictate what my options are.

michael_d #288338 01/23/10 07:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: michael_d

So Dean, if I understand you correctly, you have a general preference for a vertically orientated center channel verses a horizontal arrangement and you prefer this arrangement because you feel it provides better off axis imaging?

Yes imaging is one of the main reasons I generally prefer a vertical center. However, off axis imaging isn’t the only reason. Even sitting at dead center a horizontal array creates a wider center image smearing the center of the front soundstage making singers and instruments sound wider and less discrete than they should. Narrower horizontal arrays and having them farther from the listening position, both decrease the angle to the “outer” drivers helping minimize this. Though I haven’t tried one I presume I would prefer a VP100 over a VP150 if I had to use a horizontal center.

In 2 of 3 rooms the off axis performance of the VP150 was no worse than dead center for me however in my present room it is really bad. See my comparisons linked below.

You don’t really have any concerns with the VP150’s performance or its design characteristics, correct?

A year ago I would have said your correct, however see my new concerns in the link below.

And you also feel that the VP150 has a slight tonal difference than your M80 mains and you feel the cabinet size is the limiting factor that is contributing to this difference?

I’m guessing it’s both cabinet size and porting causing the difference since I hear it even when the VP150 is oriented vertically.

If you were king for a day, what would you do differently with the VP to make it satisfy your desired center channel characteristics for both HT (Movie) and music listening?

Perfect world I would start with an M80 and then hang two other M80s minus the tweeters off the top in a “T” shape making it switch-able between the vertical array for music and the horizontal array for movies. I’m basing this on having tested two horizontal M22s on either side of my vertical M80 above my HDTV in the apartment. For music I used the M80 and for movies I changed to the M22s using a manual switch. The long horizontal array created by the M22s was very cool for movies but sounded like crap for music. I imagine horizontal M22s would sound even better for movies with the larger screen I have now.

If it had to be just a horizontal center I shudder to say this but I would make it more like the AV123 “Bigfoot.”

If matching a center to M80 mains my order of preference is a single M80 center and then a single M22 center if L/C/R are all crossed at 80Hz. With a large screen or sitting close relative to screen size I would consider dual M22s or M2s either above and below or spread out side by side to create a “bigger” center image while giving placement flexibility to minimize undesirable driver, seating and room interactions.

Here’s the link I mentioned above:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthre...true#Post280673

In general I’ve noticed that the VP150 seems to be the most sensitive to room characteristics, and speaker/seating placement of my Axioms. The same is true for other horizontal centers I’ve heard but I think more so with the VP150. When I used it in a bedroom temporarily as a center for my M22s it seemed to do just fine but in every other room tonal differences were obvious and in my present room off axis performance is dismal, likely do to the proximity of the walls to the seating.

Note that others (the majority) find that their VP150s blend perfectly with their mains. Also as has been pointed out I think by Randy, most people who complain about the VP150 do so only on a theoretical basis and no actual listening experience. Based on the complexities of room, speaker, listener interaction IMO the only way one can know for sure what works best for them in a given situation is to experiment.

Last edited by grunt; 01/23/10 07:23 PM. Reason: Dyslexia

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #288357 01/23/10 11:56 PM
J
J
Dean and I share the same philosophy about center channel speakers although I am less sensitive to the tonal differences between the M80s and the VP150, but thinking back to when I ran the VP100 with the M80s I think it did sound closer to them.

I reallly like the Paradigm Center channels I have heard, but they have huge enclosures and run a WT/MW or WWT/MWW design.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #288360 01/24/10 12:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Interesting to here your thoughts about the VP100 and M80s. I’ve always been curious about that but haven’t needed a VP100 so couldn’t justify getting one just to test out. I also usually prefer horizontal centers with larger enclosures and those designs.

At first I didn’t notice any significant differences in between the M80s and VP150 until for some reason I ended up playing a multi-channel SACD with the center disabled in the receivers menu and was totally floored at what I was now hearing. One I first noticed the difference I was screwed because then I started noticing in in everything even most movies.

On multi-channel sources I didn’t always notice it as much then I figured out that on those sources much more of the center channel information was mixed into the L/R mains. On the demo disks that came with my Oppo I couldn’t believe that the VP150 sounded just like my M80s until I went up to them and listened to hear that almost all the center channel was coming form the L/R M80s and only a tiny amount, almost nothing, was coming from the center. I’ve read and now experienced that some audio engineers don’t like the compromised designs of most HT center speakers carrying their well mastered audio tracks and feed most of the center channel to the mains assuming that they will be more capable speakers.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
jakewash #288362 01/24/10 12:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Jay whenever you were running the 100/150 together did you ever play around with top and bottom placement? I tried the 150 on top of the screen with the 100 below but I believe having the 100 above and the 150 below makes for a better SQ and overall soundstage for our room.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #288370 01/24/10 03:48 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Rick, have you tried the VP100 by itself?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters