Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Better Car Audio
terzaghi #289840 02/01/10 10:31 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Look at David being all "helpful". Nice!

But, yeah, Fred. I think you're on to something. There must be an instructable out there to convert duct tape and zip ties (the bailing wire of the 21st century) into auto speakers.

Or just, you know, go to Crutchfield and order some stuff.

I actually had good luck with http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ but I don't buy enough different cars or care enough about car audio to be of much use to you.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
terzaghi #289867 02/02/10 12:28 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks for the recommendation and link David. As excited as I am to become part of the Moose Lodge, I was wondering about co-axial drivers. They seem ideal for audio applications where space is at a premium.

I have no idea how much space I have to work with. I know there are 4 speakers, 2 in front and 2 in the back.

It looks like this driver comes with a built in x-over so it might just be a drop in option. Sensitivity is 93db and woofer fs is 72Hz so thats not bad at all!

Do you know if the driver is self contained or if they installed some sort of box for the woofer?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #289881 02/02/10 01:28 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
I have all Hertz Audio in my truck and it is great, I do not think that it is a cost effective solution but you will very much enjoy the gear. I am running the HSK 165 in the front and the HCX165 in the rear doors off of an HP4 rated at at total of 920W RMS....sweet \:\) and the HX300D with a HP2 rated at 1200W RMS at 4ohms. There isn't a Duramax 2500 around that sounds like this truck LOL.

Later
Phil

PhillipD #289896 02/02/10 02:37 AM
devotee
devotee
My advise is to forget the rear speakers and put your cash into better front speakers and a quality amp. You may or may not find you need a sub.

duckman #289914 02/02/10 03:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Hertz speakers were just mounted directly into the door, no enclosure of any kind. We went with a Zapco 500W 4 channel amp. The front two channels are driving the Hertz speakers and the back 2 channels are bridged to power the Image dynamic sub (the sub was placed in a custom built box in the trunk of her car which was carpeted to match) The rear spears are Treo speakers which are just powered from the Pioneer Head unit. I suspect that you could power the ECX speakers directly from a head unit with no problem but An amp probably does help bring them to life.

One cool thing about these speakers is that the tweeters can be rotated to "aim" the highs in various directions for optimum sound quality. Of course once the door panel is on you can't rotate them any more, but you can tweak the positioning as much as you want before the door panel is installed. I think the HSX speakers that PHil D mentioned are the step up from the ECX speakers I purchased. I believe the HCX speakers have tweeters that rotate AND tilt for even more tweeter fine tuning.

PhilD, out of curiosity how much did you pay for a pair of the HCX165's. They appear to be the step up from the ECX165' coax speakers we put in my wifes car. As I mentioned we were charged $190 for the pair (installed). I think the installation cost was about $40 so I guess we paid about $150 for the speakers. As good as the ECX speakers sound (for car speakers) I did wonder what the HCX line sounded like.

However, the speakers my dealer carried that were supposedly better (and more expensive) then the ECX speakers were not Hertz but were MBQuart (I think). I didn't listen to them or any other speakers that were over $150 per pair because that was already $50 more than I was hoping to spend.

-David
terzaghi #289919 02/02/10 04:14 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK, spent several hours reading about car audio. Yikes!! You can spend a lot of $$ very easily.

So it looks like I don't need to upgrade all 4 at once, or even upgrade the rears.

I'm with you David, $100 is about what I was looking to spend, but that will probably stretch... I don't listen loud, so I am hoping that I can stick with the existing head unit.

The only issue with the Hertz unit is depth. I think my front panel will only accommodate 2 5/16" deep speakers unless I carve up the door panel and install custom grills.

I might just pop in to a couple of dealers and play dumb to see what they recommend.

Fred

-------
fredk #289926 02/02/10 04:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Most car speaker manufacturers are aware that mouting depth is an important design factor to consider. As a result, I think you will find a lot of speakers are built for mounting in tight spaces.

Around here we have several local car audio stores, (audio advice, boomers audio, car toys, ect) Each one is pretty much an authorized dealer for a different kind of speaker (none of them really carry the same speakers as best buy (pioneer, infinity, ect.) ) I'd suggest you find some similar places and go have a listen. Tell them you are just looking for some good quality speakers for your car and don't want a huge sub and amp and all that good stuff.

Keep in mind that if you are going to install the speakers yourself, even if you get the same size of speaker that is currently in your car there is a good chance that the mounting holes won't match up and you will have to drills some new ones or build some brackets. For this reason I just paid the extra cost for installation (plus in my case I was already having the amp, sub, head unit, ect. all installed, plus the sub box built so adding the speaker installation was not a big deal)

-David
terzaghi #289942 02/02/10 05:25 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thats good advice, thanks. Like I wrote earlier, I'll go out and play dumb. Thats usually a good way to separate the good guys from the flakes.

Fred

-------
fredk #289981 02/02/10 12:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like a plan. There is nothing wrong with listening to some "big name" speakers such as pioneer, infinity, alpine, ect. at a big box store as well.

good luck, and let us know what you end up with !

-David
terzaghi #290119 02/03/10 12:29 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, that was fun.

The first shop I visited was a small outfit that, by the looks of it, does a lot of installs. Told the guy that I had bought a new Matrix and the sound sucked, asking what I could do about the speakers.

He proceeded to tell me it was the head unit, not the speakers. It didn't have enough oompf for the speakers. He gave me a story about his gf's corolla and how he changed out the head unit and presto, better sound. Right...

Coulda sworn that the Matrix brochure said the unit had all the oompf plus extra more ® Scratch these guys from the list.

Next up was Future Shop (a folksy version of BB for all you Yanks). I started off the same and the guy actually asked some questions. He thought it might be the head unit, but was not sure and went to get somebody who could answer my questions: Not bad for big box.

The expert asked a few more questions including what my goals were. \:o He thought I could get away with upgrading the front speakers, but that my unit only put out in the range of 20-30W so I would be volume limited. He talked about separates so I asked about a crossover being included since my head unit probably only had amp outs: blank look. Sigh...

I sure hope this city has more to offer.

Fred

-------
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters