Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Your very first post....
Ken.C #292475 02/16/10 07:36 AM
shareholder in the making
 Quote:
I just got myself my first new receiver - a H/K AVR525. I really like it, but I've got a few issues, mainly centering around the fact I only have 2 speakers and a sub. I'd like to get a center channel speaker at least, but my wife thinks they're ugly (universally, not any in particular), and won't let me get one until I finish building the entertainment center. Not a problem, but I don't think she'll change her mind about the ugly thing after I finish the EC. I was brainstorming, and I need y'all to tell me if this is crazy. I was thinking that two bookshelf speakers placed very close to the TV might work as a center channel (with either a second amp, or one of those A+B speaker switches), and might be more aesthetically pleasing to her. I was thinking of M2tis as opposed to the VP100. Eventually, I plan to replace my current POS front speakers with M22tis. I'm not sure what to do with the surrounds yet; probably QS4s, or 4 QS2s (7.1 sound...)

Thanks in advance for not flaming me to oblivion....

Ken

Obviously the one that Peter replied to, and obviously not what I ended up doing...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #292485 02/16/10 09:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Wow, a bunch of crazies around here.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #292491 02/16/10 10:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In response to someone who was thinking or ordering an VP150 to start upgrading his speakers one by one.

Quote:
This is how I started too. I replaced my central speaker with a VP-150v2 in part to "test" Axiom products at a reasonable price and with something that could be returned (as if anyone would do that with these babies!) without too much difficulty. Well... I had a House DVD in and I just pressed play. 30 seconds of Hugh Laurie from a VP-150v2 was enough to convince me! Right after that, I replaced my surround speakers with 2QS-8 (even greater improvement, although much more subtile) and 10 days ago, I ordered and received my new sons: M80ti Left and M80ti Right (or, as their are nicknamed, Junior-L and Junior-R). Now my cheap Kenwood subwoofer is unplugged and within a week or so, I shall order myself a EP-500... and then maybe 2 more QS-8...

Note: They were M80v2s, not M80tis... and I think the right one is on the left now, or it might just be a perspective thing...

See Mojo's signature
RickF #292493 02/16/10 11:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, a bunch of crazies around here.

That was an honest first post and getting truer every day...

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #292494 02/16/10 11:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I'd love to say that I've been lurking here for a long time, but the truth is, this is my first time here.

I've been taking steps to upgrade my HT and am doing some preliminary research on speakers. I currently have a pair of DCM TimeFrame 600's as my mains but I'm in a fairly small room and I know that they would do better in a larger room. (I once took them into another larger room and driving them with my old NAD 2200 amp at several hundred wpc, I remember them as being pretty impressive). The other day, I purchased a universal disc player and did some critical listening, and they just really seem to be “veiling” some of the detail that I was hearing on the new discs (as well as old ones). It’s almost as if I could tell that the DVD-A and SACD selection had more to offer then the speakers were letting through…especially in the highs. They're also physically "wide" speakers and, with only so much wall space, they are limiting my desire to move to a ~42"~46" LCD projection TV. A "narrower" monopole or the move to bookshelf speakers would free up some space physically. My system is also not matched… with a DCM from a different model line as the center and those old Realistic Linolium (!!! SP?) LX-7s (or whatever they are) in the surrounds.

Anyway, here are some of the particulars: Room size is 13' square for a total of 170 square feet. I would be driving the system with my new Denon 3805. For movies, I like dramas and action. For music, I like everything from Guns N' Roses and old hard rock bands like Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin through Carly Simon and John Mayer and Michael Hedges…. pretty wide-ranging. I’m looking to crank up some rock one day, and yet enjoy the delicacy of an acoustic guitar on DVD-Audio the next.

I’ve read some great posts in other forums regarding Axiom speakers… particularly the M22s and M60s. I’m really not too concerned about the price difference between them; I look at speaker purchasing as being long-term as opposed to the many other items that get upgraded constantly and the $400 difference isn’t one that I’m concerned with.

My thought is this based upon what I’ve read: The M60s will do better with that hard rock (pretty logically), but may not have the delicacy of the M22s on that acoustic guitar. My experience with my current speakers makes me hesitant to buy a speaker too large for my needs. Again, not because of the price, but because it might actually be detrimental to the sound. Usually, I regret “under buying” and have learned over the years to spend a little more on the better product/item. In this case, though, I’m afraid of “over buying”.

Here’s another kicker: I might end up in a much larger space in another couple of years, as my wife and I are discussing refinishing an attic that would result in a 25’ x 35’ “great room” with a high, peaked ceiling. Certainly, the M22s could not fill that space. This might mean that the M22s serve my needs well at the moment, but not down the road. If the M60s don’t do as well in a “smallish” room, though, they would only meet potential long-term needs but not do as well in the meantime.

To sum up lots of background and a way-too-long post:

Do the M60s need to “open up” in a big room, or do they handle the delicate stuff as well as the reviews say the M22 does?

The trend has been to make my posts shorter over the years, while still using the word "veiling" whenever possible, because it annoys a certain someone out there!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #292497 02/16/10 11:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Did you move to the much larger space?

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #292499 02/16/10 12:22 PM
No. Still the sucky small one.

MarkSJohnson #292504 02/16/10 01:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, I thought for sure you'd include a link to the mother-of-all-posts.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #292505 02/16/10 01:25 PM
But it wasn't my first.... \:\)

MarkSJohnson #292506 02/16/10 01:26 PM
If I were going to do that, I might as well post link to all 5525 posts. That would be a riot, wouldn't it?

For me, I mean.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082