BlueJays1 #297249 03/18/10 10:07 PM
G
Glitchy Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Any updates on your issue here wordgasm?

Nope just haven't got to it yet. I got new QS8s last night so I will probably just wait till Saturday, fish the rear walls and move my QS4s to the rears, hang the QS8s and then setup everything and re-calibrate and tackle the sub issue.

Thanks for asking

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
Re: EP500 - No / Barely any LFEs
Glitchy #297520 03/20/10 09:51 PM
G
Glitchy Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm
Any updates on your issue here wordgasm?

Nope just haven't got to it yet. I got new QS8s last night so I will probably just wait till Saturday, fish the rear walls and move my QS4s to the rears, hang the QS8s and then setup everything and re-calibrate and tackle the sub issue.

Thanks for asking

Well today I got off me butt.

Installed the QS8s, moved the QS4s to the rears and fished the walls. I also I also moved the sub feed from the front wall to the rear wall and re-fished it and relocated the sub.

Then I ran Audyssey. 3 times. First time with SW vol set at 2 oclock. Audyssey set it at -12db, then at 12:00 oclock, set at -6.5 db, then at 10 oclock, set at -2.0 db. I watched a couple scenes and reset the sub at +2.0db

I have my LFE's back! (I'm going to have to weather strip the closet door it that room to keep it from rattling)

It's probably sounding perfect, I think I'm just not hearing the boominess I was use to with the other sub.

Audessey gave me the following settings, any thoughts and if so, the reasoning behind it.

(I have to run Audyssey with a cable extension, so ABOUT 40', the Audyssey guy says this is a no-no, "rolls off the highs", but it will have to do for right now.

SW: Yes
Fronts: 100
Centers: 80 (W150 above, W100 below)
Surrounds: 150 (is this too high?)
Rear Surrounds 120
Rear S Chls: 2
LPF to LPE: 120

If I want to adjust the sub some more, should I adjust it thru the receiver or with the sub volume?

Thanks

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/20/10 09:54 PM.

Glitchy #297521 03/20/10 10:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Audyssey/auto calibration setup crossed your surrounds to high. What are the trim levels set for your speakers?

You should try disabling audyssey and crossing your mains at 80hz, centre channels to 80hz, QS8's to 80hz or 90hz and your QS4's to 90hz or 100hz. Adjust the sub (using the subwoofers volume control in accordance to the +2 setting on your receiver) to your liking and double check your speakers trim levels, speakers set to small etc and play some material through these settings and hear if there is a difference to your liking. Just remember to disable audyssey before doing all this.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #297522 03/20/10 10:36 PM
G
Glitchy Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
G
Audyssey/auto calibration setup crossed your surrounds to high. What are the trim levels set for your speakers?

You should try disabling audyssey and crossing your mains at 80hz, centre channels to 80hz, QS8's to 80hz or 90hz and your QS4's to 90hz or 100hz. Adjust the sub (using the subwoofers volume control in accordance to the +2 setting on your receiver) to your liking and double check your speakers trim levels, speakers set to small etc and play some material through these settings and hear if there is a difference to your liking. Just remember to disable audyssey before doing all this.

Sorry your dealing with a newb. What is the trim level.

On my Onkyo, besides the hertz, the speakers are set at:

Right / Left

Fronts: -4.5/-4.5
Center(s): -7
Surrounds: -8.0/-6.0
Surrounds Rear: -2.5/-1.0

Speaker Setting: Normal/6 ohm (only choises are 6 & 4 ohm)

Thanks

Glitchy #297523 03/20/10 10:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Right / Left

Thanks

Thats the info I was looking for. You seem to be getting odd measurements with your QS8's (surrounds). The trim for the surrounds seem to be very low in comparison to the side surrounds same for the center channel to your mains. Are you having any trouble hearing dialogue on programs? These numbers that have been generated I would be suspect of.

You should invest in a radio shack SPL meter to double check.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #297524 03/20/10 10:54 PM
G
Glitchy Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
G

Right / Left

Thanks

Thats the info I was looking for. You seem to be getting odd measurments with your QS8's (surrounds). The trim for the surrounds seem to be very low in comparison to the side surrounds same for the center channel. Are you having any trouble hearing dialogue on programs? These numbers that have been generated I would be suspect of.

No problem with dialog.... I thought maybe the reason for the low setting on that was having 2 centers. And it is a small room 11'w x 10.5'l.

The only other infomation I can add is that due to the available cable I have to run Audyssey, I'm running all 6 positions, but I can only move the mic about 2'. It reaches the main seating position (mine) and the one next to it... and thats all

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/20/10 11:02 PM.

Glitchy #297581 03/21/10 01:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It sounds like your listening position is very close to the rears, and much further away from the surrounds. I would do what the good Dr. recommended above. I gave up on Audyssey a long time ago because I was left with what I felt was a hollow sound. I now run my system with no Audyssey, no EQ, and all speakers within +/- 1 db of each other. It's a much fuller sound, and I really like it. The minus is, especially with the Axioms, that pooly recorded music (much of the CDs from the 80s) sounds like garbage. Well recorded music however is nirvana!

I'm glad you got the EP500 set better. It's truly a great sub!

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
BlueJays1 #297586 03/21/10 02:13 PM
G
Glitchy Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
G
You should invest in a radio shack SPL meter to double check.

Here's the audio newbness coming out again.

Years ago, I got a RS SPL Meter to setup an old system, but never actually ended up using it. I moved.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions for doing a setup with the SPL Meter

I think I've seen reference to +75db and I assume you do this using the pink noise for each speaker in my onkyo's setup menu?

Same DB for all including the SW?

I basically dealing with 1/2 seating positions. Is the main purpose Audyssey to do the calculations fopr multiple seating positions? Or is it doing "other things" also. Just curious!

Many Thanks

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/21/10 02:21 PM.

Glitchy #297591 03/21/10 02:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Where do you have your receiver placed that you can only reach two seating positions? The advantage of Audyssey is that it can optimize for multiple seating positions. I found it very good for setting trim levels and speaker distances.

With the radio shack meter, you set it on C weighting and play test tones through your speakers. The receiver should have a pink noise (a wide band of frequencies) generator that sends the same signal through alternating speakers on a set pattern so that you can compare the sound level of each.

A tripod is handy for holding the meter steady.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #297594 03/21/10 02:40 PM
G
Glitchy Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Where do you have your receiver placed that you can only reach two seating positions? The advantage of Audyssey is that it can optimize for multiple seating positions. I found it very good for setting trim levels and speaker distances.

With the radio shack meter, you set it on C weighting and play test tones through your speakers. The receiver should have a pink noise (a wide band of frequencies) generator that sends the same signal through alternating speakers on a set pattern so that you can compare the sound level of each.

A tripod is handy for holding the meter steady.

The receiver is 40' across the house in a rack. The Audyssey Guy (AVS) says you shouldn't use extension cables ("rolls offf the highs"), But to reach the main seating position I have to use the mic cord and a 25' extension cable. The room is small and 95% of the time there are only 1 or 2 listeners sitting next to each other. THe 3rd position is a little off center for the display, but totally viewable. But not used that much.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup