Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Center Channel Sounds Hollow
a_ok2me #297784 03/22/10 03:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: a_ok2me
It's been calibrated via MCACC, so I wonder why it could be off.

Just as a test, try turning off the EQ portion of the MCACC settings. If the mic got a bad reading (possibly from interference from the cabinet), it could be heavily EQing some band, which would also result in a hollow sound.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #297969 03/23/10 03:42 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Mine sounded a bit boxy when it was WAY up high on top of my old big screen. Now that it is roughly parallel to the main speakers upper woofers it sounds muy fabuloso. An insane improvement in sound quality for zero dollars.

I'm betting placement is less than optimal.

ClubNeon #297975 03/23/10 04:40 AM
A
a_ok2me Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
I pulled the center out and it does not make a difference. I turned off MCACC and it sounds much more full. With MCACC on, it filters out all the background noise and focuses on the vocals and so it sounds more hollow.

I guess in the end, the hollowness is probably all subjective to me and I think this hollowness is how it is supposed to be. But the tuned focus on the vocals sounds too studio. It stands out too much and therefore artificial to me. For example, there can be a scene with explosions all around, but the guy yelling sounds like he's sitting in a quiet and calm studio. It does not blend with the scene to me.

Some good came out of this because I found that I like it better with MCACC off. To me, the center does not stand out as a loner from the other speakers and it just sounds more full and synchronized with the other speakers and the surrounding scene.

a_ok2me #297979 03/23/10 04:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hollow is all wrong. The VP150 should not sound hollow. Something is wrong with your set up. Speaker, source, position, amp, processing section, something.

The VP150 for all the faint praise it receives around here is an excellent center channel speaker. I'm watching/listening to 24 right now, and this VP150 sounds terrific.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 03/23/10 04:56 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
a_ok2me #297980 03/23/10 05:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you haven’t already try turning the VP150 off in the receiver and run a phantom center as an experiment. If while sitting in the sweet spot voices stop sounding “hollow” then something is certainly not right.

I’ve used the VP150 in three rooms and gotten three different results one excellent, one average (for a horizontal center) and the present one which I think is exactly what you describe. Voices sound like someone is talking through two tin cans connected by a string or somewhat high pitched and edgy. Also voices sound like they are coming from through a tunnel with the source somewhere behind the TV getting worse the further off center I sit. Note I get this result with the VP150 sitting in the open about 4 feet from the nearest wall and with both a Denon 2807 and an Onkyo 3007. Also in all rooms Audyssey made it sound worse.

Like I said above it’s also sounded pretty average in my apartment living room where the voices were a little higher pitched and the overall sound was less dynamic than my M80s. Both of which were subtle enough I didn’t notice until I tried a phantom center with my M80s by accident. In my apartment bedroom my VP150 blended perfectly with my M22s I was using as mains there. So in my experience it’s very sensitive to placement and room acoustics.

Again try running a phantom center and if that makes the “hollowness” goes away then maybe you should consider trying a M22 as a center if you can fit one or a VP100 which I have no experience with but have never read of anyone having this issue with it.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #297993 03/23/10 01:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Its so interesting how much the VP150 seems to be effected by room placement. Much more so than the rest of Axiom's offerings. While Axiom has supporters and detractors for ALL of their products, the 150 seems to be the one exception where even the biggest fans of Axiom products can be at odds with it. There is truely a love/hate relationship with the VP150 on this forum.

I love mine, even bolted to the ceiling. And many others here wouldn't trade theirs in on anything else either. And hearing these claims tend to baffle us, leaving us wondering if they got a bum unit or something. "Hollow sounding? How could anyone come to that conclusion..." is the first thing that pops up in my head when I read these cases. Similar to what most M80 owners thought when Bob came on here and complained about his M80's sounding way too harsh, or bright. "Bright??? How could anyone consider the M80 as a 'bright' speaker"???

And yet there is a rather large crowd that gets less than stellar results with their VP150's. A large enough crowd that it can't just be dismissed as a fluke. So no matter how fabulous it works in my personal HT, it makes me wonder if it should in fact be redesigned to perform better in a wider range of applications?

Or perhaps the problem isn't as wide spread as it seems here in this forum. Maybe the fact that we are in effect in the complaints department means we're subjected to a large percentage of those who are unhappy with their 150's, but don't hear from the majority of customers who loved theirs but never bothered coming on here to tell us, gives off the impression that its a lot less popular than it really is?

Either way it is disappointing to hear from those customers who aren't getting great results from their VP150's because I want them to be able to experience the same remarkable performance that I get from mine.

I suppose working in the complaints department of ANY company would be a bummer eh?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #298009 03/23/10 03:01 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: Micah

Or perhaps the problem isn't as wide spread as it seems here in this forum. Maybe the fact that we are in effect in the complaints department means we're subjected to a large percentage of those who are unhappy with their 150's, but don't hear from the majority of customers who loved theirs but never bothered coming on here to tell us, gives off the impression that its a lot less popular than it really is?

Either way it is disappointing to hear from those customers who aren't getting great results from their VP150's because I want them to be able to experience the same remarkable performance that I get from mine.
I think you have to look at the environment that a center channel is subject to. Many people put them in the least desireable place and expect it to sound just as good as the mains. A center speaker for most lives it's life in one of the least desireable positions as far as speaker placement goes, always close to a highly reflective material of some sort, ie. entertainment center, TV, floor, ceiling, but in the case of the OP he has already stated the problem was Pioneer's MCACC EQ system.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #298017 03/23/10 04:33 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I think we can all remember that back in the day when center channel speakers became an item in Home Theater, in reality, because of space issues and positioning, they really always have been a "compromise" in sound. That was primarily because of the advent of Dolby Pro Logic which still had sound and bandwidth limitations.

Once DD and DTS came in to existence with their full-range discrete channels, at that point to me, all bets were off. Now we have "lossless" audio with even more dynamic presentations so we can't say anymore the center channel speaker is the most important yet still put these sound and size limitations to it.

Bottom line for me has always been, if you can't use a similar speaker to the L/R, at least have one that has big enough drivers so you can run it full-range without strain. There are center channels out there that do provide these features without being overly large. I am hoping for that from Axiom in the near future. In my opinion and in current applications, five and a half-inch drivers just aren't big enough anymore.

casey01 #298049 03/23/10 06:52 PM
veteran
veteran
The idea that the front speaker array really needs to be full range has been on my mind for the past few weeks. The problem I see is that generally to develop low frequencies at meaningful sound pressures requires large drivers. Large drivers mean large enclosures. So, then how do you have your display at a reasonable height but still have a rather large center channel? The only solutions I've thought up are to use a projector and a sound transparent screen or to place your AV gear somewhere other than below your display.

The other thing I've been thinking about is how people say that low frequency sound is "non-directional". I would like to know where the cut off frequency for this "non-directional" sound is. I suspect it's lower than THX's recommended 80hz.

M22 VP100 QS8 RX-V665 DMP-BD55 SMS-1 LFM-1+ LG47SL90

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
prototype3a #298052 03/23/10 07:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's actually about 100 Hz, so 80 is a good point.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup