Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Center Channel Sounds Hollow
ClubNeon #298175 03/24/10 02:30 AM
R
buff
buff
R
I have my 150 mounted up near the ceiling above my screen angeled down right at me. It is mounted to a board that spans a couple of pillers that go from a 3 foot knee wall to the ceiling. It is backed up by the wide open space of the entry way of my split foyer. Myself I can't belive how good it sounds there. I have it crossed at 90Hz and sometimes I hear very low bass comming from it. Very full sounding. Also very clear.

rvrrat #298179 03/24/10 03:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Interesting, that's exactly where mine is located. And I've never experienced the problems others have had with imaging. I'm sitting 13 feet from my center channel, how far is your's? I've often thought that this must be part of the reason I don't notice it being so high up. Either that or I'm just not all that sensitive to the placement?

I suppose it could also be a combination of both factors.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #298191 03/24/10 05:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Micah

Or perhaps the problem isn't as wide spread as it seems here in this forum. Maybe the fact that we are in effect in the complaints department means we're subjected to a large percentage of those who are unhappy with their 150's, but don't hear from the majority of customers who loved theirs but never bothered coming on here to tell us, gives off the impression that its a lot less popular than it really is?

Considering how many speakers Axiom must have sold over the years I’m not even sure I would classify it as a “problem.” However, IMO unless you have rabid fanboyism the likes of AV123 or Emotiva (a couple other brands are skirting that territory) that shouts down any less than rave review then it’s been my experience reading forums that negative comments often outweigh positive ones, especially when repeated by those who have zero experience with a product and are often trying to promote their own addenda.

Originally Posted By: jakewash

in the case of the OP he has already stated the problem was Pioneer's MCACC EQ system.

AFAIR he said it got better when he turned MCACC off but it didn’t go away. I’ve had the same experience with Audyssey in two of the three rooms I’ve used the VP150 in where I thought it sounded noticeably better with Audyssey off.

Originally Posted By: prototype3a

The idea that the front speaker array really needs to be full range has been on my mind for the past few weeks. The problem I see is that generally to develop low frequencies at meaningful sound pressures requires large drivers. Large drivers mean large enclosures.

Due to room acoustics placement/seating issues in the two rooms I’ve use my M80s and EP500 in I’ve found I get a better mid-bass punch from my M80s across all my seating than I can get with on EP500. So I usually run them either small crossed at 40Hz (now) or large crossed at 40Hz(last room). Otherwise to get the same level of mid-bass punch across all my seats the lower base is way to strong.

Also I’ve found that a tower center can work well under a screen because if sitting far enough away it’s not localizable below the screen.

Originally Posted By: prototype3a

The other thing I've been thinking about is how people say that low frequency sound is "non-directional". I would like to know where the cut off frequency for this "non-directional" sound is. I suspect it's lower than THX's recommended 80hz.

In the real world frequencies well below 80Hz are directional, I’ve been knocked on my butt in the direction they were traveling. It’s when you put them in a room they tend to become non directional because of standing waves. However, I’ve found the larger the room lower the frequencies get before being hard to localize. Another reason I like to get the mid-bass punch from my M80s rather than my subwoofer.

I think one of the reason I’m noticing more pequliarities about particular speakers is likely because I spend a lot more time tweaking and trying different things than other people. Many of the things I’ve commented on even concering the VP150 I imagine most people wouldn’t notice even if they were present in there situation. OTOH the hollow tunnel effect I hear in my present room is intense. No A/B comparisons need to hear it.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #298233 03/24/10 03:59 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Dean, you are getting far to helpfull and clear/concise about your thoughts, it must be time for you to leave this forum ;\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #298271 03/24/10 06:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm not turning in my man card until he turns in his utility belt.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Micah #298344 03/25/10 02:00 AM
R
buff
buff
R
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Interesting, that's exactly where mine is located. And I've never experienced the problems others have had with imaging. I'm sitting 13 feet from my center channel, how far is your's?

My 150 is more like 11.5 feet away.

rvrrat #298372 03/25/10 06:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

Dean, you are getting far to helpfull and clear/concise about your thoughts, it must be time for you to leave this forum

My job does allow me an inordinate (almost criminal) amount of time off at times just wait until I retire and really have to much time on my hands. ;\)

Originally Posted By: medic8r

I'm not turning in my man card until he turns in his utility belt.

Hell if you based my status on my job I wouldn’t even be allowed to have a man card. We can’t even wear tools on our belts have to carry them in tool bags now. They don’t call it the “Scared Force” for nothing.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #298768 03/27/10 02:06 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
I'm no expert but I'll add my experience. When I first set up my system and (on my Onkyo NR3007) I watched the Iron Man BR, and set the AVR to minimal processing for the Dolby HD stream. The center channel sounded hollow, and terrible- prompting immediate- "what have I done?" concerns on how much I just spent on my sound system.

I played around with some different settings on the AVR and now I can't believe how seamless my front soundfield is. I get great on and off axis blending between the VP150 and my T60's. The sweet spot for me was the "THX Cinema" mode. I'm not saying an AVR can make a bad speaker good, but I bet poor processing can make a good speaker sound bad. Any of my Direct, or Pure Audio, or minimal processing modes give me poor performance from the center channel.

My experience anyways.

Last edited by rprice54; 03/27/10 02:08 PM.
ClubNeon #299671 03/31/10 05:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm sure it's been said but I'm thousands of posts behind so I'm admittedly skimming but make sure you try it with all of the receivers EQ or other effect choices turned off. One of my most scary experiences was when I somehow turned on the EQ feature and it became set to Flat. Hollow would have been a very good word to describe the sound but for me it was an overall hollowness, not just one speaker but I use that as an example.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters