Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Harmon Kardon AVR-525 vs AVR430/630
#29768 01/05/04 04:37 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Dolby Pro Logic II is an extension of Dolby Pro Logic. It is, in essence, a better translator of the DPL signal.

Hawkson is essentially correct about video upconversion, but I would point out that if all your devices are s-video (for example), you only need a single S-video connection between your receiver and TV. If you have different devices with different inputs, then you would need multiple connections.

Composite video is a video signal transmitted on a single RCA cable. S-video splits the signal out to 4 parts (I don't remember which) and transmits over a similarly sized cable, with different connetors. Component video uses 3 RCA cables/jacks (I believe it's similar to S-video in which signals are transmitted. Could be totally wrong).

Your coaxial cable is a different sort. That is an RF (radio frequency) signal that carries audio and video, and is therefore the lowest quality. You should be using composite or S-video between your DirecTV receivver and the TV, as the DTV receiver will translate the signal. (someone else want to step in here?)

A big question is what kind of TV you have. What inputs are available?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Harmon Kardon AVR-525 vs AVR430/630
#29769 01/05/04 08:15 PM
R
RobR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
R
TV's a piece of trash.
I was originally thinking of buying a cheap receiver for music only...thinking the receiver would become outdated by the time I had a full fledge HT system.
Then I started looking at upgrading...If the receivers don't change too much in the future I might as well put the extra money in now, and I'll already have a receiver capable of expansionn, along with front speakers (probably m60's). The better TV, VP150, QS8's and sub could come sometime in the future.
I can't see HT expanding much beyond 5 speakers, maybe one or two in the back...but then who knows.
I just wanted to make sure on the receiver. I might just get the Denon 1804 for ~$350, and plan on replacing it when I get more serious...at least the speakers should be good for a few years.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup