Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Big Room seeking advice...
mazzum #301034 04/09/10 08:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: mazzum
To clarify "punch" what I really meant was tighter bass. Not really concerned about knocking pictures off the wall. Want better musical performance. What I was originally trying to figure out is with the large room would adding an extra sub or new sub allow for both musicality and the rumble.

Then I suggest that you play with your current subwoofer to see if you can get better performance by tweaking. Changing its location will have an huge impact on what room modes it excites and may help “tighten up the bass.” Also playing with the distance settings can also help. Don’t count on your receiver to set the correct subwoofer distance. Even if you measure it and set it correctly it wouldn’t hurt to play around with the distance settings. A friend, who use to engineer audio, and specialized in doing cannon sound effects took one listen to my auto settings during “Master and Commander” and said my subwoofer distance was off. He tweaked the distance some and the cannon shots went from “Booooooooom” to “Boom.” I would just focus on doing this for your primary seat and if it works then you could look at adding another subwoofer to smooth out the bass response across all your seating.

Something else to consider is bass traps. Might be no matter where you put your sub traps might help it’s overall performance.

Also I’ve found that for very large rooms having full range tower speakers for mains can help produce better bass than a subwoofer + bookshelf combo. Though this somewhat depends on speaker distance/position relative to room size. It’s also possible a completely different subwoofer would make a difference.

However, before doing anything else I would play around with your present subwoofer to see if you can get any improvement.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Re: Big Room seeking advice...
grunt #301048 04/09/10 11:41 AM
M
mazzum Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Dean thanks for your help. I am crawling around now and moving the sub. Also checking the distance and will just play with a few things and see what I can come up with. Your input is priceless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters