You are not logged in. [Log In]

Forums » General Discussion » The Water Cooler » Long Forgotten Muscle Groups

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#309684 - 06/07/10 12:43 PM Long Forgotten Muscle Groups
Argon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Oak Ridge, NC
My wife and I bought our Kayaks on Memorial Day weekend. We have been spending a fair amount of time on the water - but this past weekend we took the basic techniques and safety course. Practiced both Saturday and Sunday maintaining the "Paddler's Box" and not "Chicken Winging". In a nutshell, this involves a lot of core rotation to make use of more than just your arms in paddleing. Also in a nutshell, I can barely move today without lots and lots of pain.
Also - in the course, I was the only one that volunteered to go into the water and be rescued. We did both and assisted "T" rescue and an unassisted "rescue yourself" recovery. I was able to accomplish both - but what really got me was that no one else wanted to get wet? My thought is that I did not want the first time I went swimming unintentionally to be without the direction and oversight of a qualifed instructor??? The rescue part was the last part of a 4 hour course. There was one guy there - maybe 8-10 years younger than me. His wife did not participate staying on shore. As the class was breaking up, he paddled on off to the landing area. A few minutes later, he shows back up, sheepishly, and says he was "told" he had to get wet. I laughed inside while I stayed and watched the proceedings. He only did an assisted rescue though.....

#309896 - 06/09/10 10:11 AM Re: Long Forgotten Muscle Groups [Re: Argon]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
Sounds like you are well on your way. Practicing rescues can be fun, as long as the water is warm.

#309906 - 06/09/10 11:35 AM Re: Long Forgotten Muscle Groups [Re: Murph]
DreamTheater Offline
old hand

Loc: East Haven, CT
The evil DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). On days I blast my muscles or when I first start lifting from a long hiatus I experience that crippling pain. Strangely, its worse not on the day after, but always 2 days later. Good job getting into it and not being a land lubber, the pain will only make you a better kayaker!

#310344 - 06/14/10 12:10 PM Re: Long Forgotten Muscle Groups [Re: DreamTheater]
Argon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Oak Ridge, NC
After learning a bit about proper paddling technique, I was practicing my rotation so that I am using more than just my arms. The side benefit is that I am more flexible now and can actually turn when backing the car rather just a cursory turn of my head. Who woulda known?

#310372 - 06/14/10 06:39 PM Re: Long Forgotten Muscle Groups [Re: Argon]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
Once you get that rotation thing going, kayaks really are a breeze to paddle.

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#310399 - 06/14/10 11:20 PM Re: Long Forgotten Muscle Groups [Re: fredk]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Ben Lomond, California
One tip that really helped me with paddling efficiency -- besides making sure your thighs and feet have solid contact with the hull and footpegs -- is that when you want to be going in a straight line, you never really want to draw the paddle back past your body. You should reach the paddle as far forward as possible/comfortable and draw back only to where you're sitting. Any further and your energy will go into turning the boat.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,270 Registered Members
16 Forums
24,072 Topics
425,095 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters
Ken.C 18044
pmbuko 16437
SirQuack 13579