Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How to judge Axiom speakers from Seattle
#3121 05/20/02 10:39 PM
K
OP Offline
K
After decades away from Hi-Fi (but not music) it's time to make some upgrades. I've read the glowing reports on the Millenia M3ti, which I'm considering purchasing. However. They are not sold in the US so I have to judge from reviews...Not always wise. Here is my situation now... I will be upgrading one piece at a time for awhile so to let you know what will be driving these speakers I can't say, other than to assure you it will be on a budget...cello and violin lessons for my girls aren't cheap! I currently have some old (I think they call it classic now) Dynaco equip I built in High School in the mid 70's...St 80 solid state power amp, 40W/chnl and a Pat 5 preamp. Anyway I'm starting with the speaker upgrade. My current choice is the Acoustic Energy Aegis One, which based on...you quessed it, reviews, does seem to live up to the billing and the pocketbook. So all this rambling to try to gain an informed comparison between these two speakers. I now listen almost exclusively to classical music, of course that is a wide market. Lets emphasize Barogue...therefore small ensembles, natural sound is important especially vocals. Normal size living room etc. I know some may think I'm crazy asking the manufacturer to recommend or give an honest opinion about their product or a another...But that is exactly what I'm doing. I listened to the AE's and was very impressed. I thought I was going to have to spend a fortune to get natural sound but now I'm encouraged. But after reading about the Axiom's I don't wish to miss the boat...it might not come around for another 25 years! I was thinking I could purchase both, then keep the preferred pair. Any help and advise would be much appreciated. Down the road, I'm looking at things like the Rega Planet 2000 CD (which was used for my demo of the AE's by the way) and Rega Mira integrated amp...these are just first guesses...of course based on REVIEWS! Thanks in advance.
Kenny in Seattle

Re: How to judge Axiom speakers from Seattle
#3122 05/21/02 12:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Kenny

I push a pair of M3s and a small Velodyne 8" sub with an Antique Sound Labs 5 watt triode integrated amp sourced by an Ah! Tjoeb Njoeb 4000 tube output CD player. I listen mostly to jazz, and ensemble music. These speakers are beautiful! Smooth, clean, rich, accurate, ridiculously good for the price. I'd grab a pair if I were you. If you don't like them (inconceivable to me that someone would not) you can return them within 30 days, or if you decide after the return period expires, you can probably sell them for just about what you paid.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#3123 05/21/02 12:29 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
kennykramer,

I have found the M3tis to be a wonderful speaker for all kinds of music, including classical. Very nimble speakers that can well articulate the delicacy and intricasy of classical music with an open and natural sound. Smooth, balanced, and very musical. Great imaging to boot! Perfect for a medium-sized room and for those who like to listen at less than rock-concert levels. Have mine in the boston cherry finish. Very classy looking.

The M3s don't require much power to get them to sing. Currently have them mated with a Cambridge Audio A300 v.2 integrated (50 watts x 2). Wonderful match. But they also make great music when connected to a Denon DM-5 micro-component system that I have. Quite versatile and all-around great performers for the discerning music lover.

#3124 05/24/02 01:14 AM
veteran
veteran
Aloha Kenny

I think I was in a similar boat as you. I was in the market to replace some 20 year old speakers. In searching the web, I stumbled across the Axiom website. I began reading, thinking, and along with local shopping - I got confused. In reading, I became impressed not only with several Axiom reviews - but of the company and the way they run their business and website. So after a long painful (for me) decision process, I decided to take a chance - sound unheard - and order the M50s. After comparing them to my old Sonys, I decided they weren't quite what I wanted to hear, - so I decided to take another chance - and ordered the M60s and set them up side by side! OOOOOOH NICE! MUCH BETTER! I sent the M50s back under the 30 day guarentee. I am a happy island boy now. I can't say enough about the company and customer service. Not many local stores will let you do such a thing. It's one thing to audition in a store's speaker room, it's another thing to "listen" at your own pace in your own home and it's particular acoustical environment. (If you would like to read MY review of the 50s vs the 60s, then search the board - time: about a month ago)

It worked for me - and I think many others as well. Your only real risk? Shipping costs. Thats it!

Best of luck!

Randyman

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup