Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Bass reduction when sitting down
Ya_basta #323053 09/17/10 05:18 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Those AVM20's are about 10 years old now, and minor upgrades to DAC's over the years have happened, whether or not those upgrades are audible is up for debate.

I wonder if there is something a miss with your ripped music as even FLAC files have been known to be missing the odd bit here and there. Some of the newer ripping programs verify the rip against the master to ensure there were not any mistakes(a long process), perhaps this is what is causing the sound differential and not the DAC. It is simply that you are hearing the true sound from the cd.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Ya_basta #323076 09/17/10 09:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
laugh

Say. Cam, does drinking alcohol from a straw improve the bass?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
jakewash #323096 09/17/10 11:31 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Those AVM20's are about 10 years old now, and minor upgrades to DAC's over the years have happened, whether or not those upgrades are audible is up for debate.

I wonder if there is something a miss with your ripped music as even FLAC files have been known to be missing the odd bit here and there. Some of the newer ripping programs verify the rip against the master to ensure there were not any mistakes(a long process), perhaps this is what is causing the sound differential and not the DAC. It is simply that you are hearing the true sound from the cd.

Well I don't know about every single song I have , but I recently ripped a CD with Exact Audio Copy using the most conservative / secure / verified etc.. ripping possible ie: no burst mode etc.. the best possible rip I can get out of EAC. I then played that WAV file via Sonos digital out to the Anthem AVM20 which was doing the decoding of the WAV file. I'm not even talking about a FLAC or MP3 etc.. just the best WAV rip I can get using EAC. Then I played the original WAV from the CD via my BD player.

I can absolutely hear a difference between the two, no question at all. The CD WAV file just sounds better than the RIP WAV file. I'm not going to go into all the details of why / what I find better, just that to my ears, the CD version is the better version by enough of a margin for me to go out and purchase a dedicated high quality external DAC unit to ensure I get the best out of my hard disk based WAV, FLACs, APEs, and whatever else I have.

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
fredk #323097 09/17/10 11:33 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Originally Posted By: fredk
laugh

I don't know if the straw helps, I've been concentrating just on the volume of consumption via the normal input method of "bottle to lip" .. so far, I think it's working out GRATE !!

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
JohnK #323098 09/17/10 11:39 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yeah Stephane, putting either the speakers or your ears very close to the wall behind them increases the bass. From your measurements, it appears that the back of the speakers were already only about 13" from the wall, but since there're no rear ports, have you tried putting them just an inch from the wall to see if that similarly increases the bass, but with a closer sitting position?

As to a separate DAC, it's unclear how anyone can "hear" how one sounds independent of everything else. An audibly significant difference due to that alone is highly unlikely these days.

Hi John, I appreciate your sugestion of moving the speakers closer to the wall as opposed to moving my seat back..but I think the seat was definitively in a bass NUL where it was. Although it was in a perfect postion from a room point of view, it was in the worse position from an audio point of view.

As for DAC, as I mentionned in a post just a few minutes ago, I can definitively hear the difference between the best WAV rip I can do on my computer and the original WAV on CD, which means to me that the DAC in my BD player is better than the DAC in my Anthem. Which further means that I need to invest in a high quality external DAC that is better than both of my devices. The Benchmark DAC-1 is on my very short list.

Riker #323099 09/17/10 11:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Riker
laugh

I don't know if the straw helps, I've been concentrating just on the volume of consumption via the normal input method of "bottle to lip" .. so far, I think it's working out GRATE !!

I say you both give it a try some time......this weekend grin !

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #323102 09/18/10 12:00 AM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
laugh

What do you mean " this " weekend ? I've been "training " every day man !! LOL but I will integrate the straw technique into my routine to see if it will take me above my current "plateau" grin Do one rep of bottle to lip, rest for 10 seconds, then one rep of straw to lip with medium sucking force, rest for 10 second, then repeat until the fridge is empty, or you can't walk over to the fridge. Repeat 7 times a week for maximum effectiveness. You will get pissed or your money back !!!

Ya_basta #323103 09/18/10 12:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
grin

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Ya_basta #323112 09/18/10 01:50 AM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
[quote=wheelz999I say you just get use to sitting down and don't even bring standing up into the equation; that's what I've done grin . [/quote]

Cam, your the best smile

Riker #323117 09/18/10 02:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
laugh

What do you mean " this " weekend ? I've been "training " every day man !! LOL but I will integrate the straw technique into my routine to see if it will take me above my current "plateau" grin Do one rep of bottle to lip, rest for 10 seconds, then one rep of straw to lip with medium sucking force, rest for 10 second, then repeat until the fridge is empty, or you can't walk over to the fridge. Repeat 7 times a week for maximum effectiveness. You will get pissed or your money back !!!

-->No excuses walkie.....at that point you get in wheel chair.....refill fridge....drink grin !

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters