Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Broken optical cable input door any suggestions?
#32670 02/01/04 01:34 AM
intune Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi again:

Has anybody broken that optical cable input door on their equipment? Any suggestions on how to make an optical cable feel tighter in the jack? The best I could do is just tape down the cable to the shelf after it is lined up in the jack.

Also is it a good idea to cover an open optical cable jack?

Thanks,

Intune

Re: Broken optical cable input door any suggestion
#32671 02/01/04 06:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Has anybody broken that optical cable input door on their equipment?

Input door?

In reply to:

Any suggestions on how to make an optical cable feel tighter in the jack?

What kind of optical cable are you using? I found when i switched out my 'stock' optical cable (you know the truly cheap one that comes with the cd player/dvdp) with something that was a quality made cable ($4.99 Acoustic Research from ebay), the plug had a much more snug fit.
Regardless, if your dvd/cd player is working without skipping or similar oddities, you should be fine with what you have.

As for the optical jack cover, i would cover any open ones with a small piece of easy to remove tape just to keep out the dust. Most units now come with inserts for this purpose.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Broken optical cable input door any suggestion
#32672 02/03/04 09:42 PM
intune Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
To close this subject, the best I could do is insert the door into the optical outlet then put in the optical cable while keeping the door from sliding out and voila the connection is tight-this requires some pressure and a straight forward moviment into the outlet. And make sure the door is put into the outlet in the right direction as if it was still working properly (prior to inserting cable).

Now, I have been told by Onkyo that to fix the outlet door is as simple as replacing the whole logic board. So watch out when removing an optical cable from an optical (toslink) outlet that has a spring shutting door.

And what got me into this trouble in the first place, is thinking that the DACS in the Onkyo AVR are better than the ones in my older good quality sony cd player. And to my testing the sound is not anywhere better via optical.

Intune

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup