Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Height channels?
grunt #327645 11/05/10 08:20 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
grunt - thanks for the very thorough advice.

I might play around with raising my sides (QS8s). Just not sure how to do it without affecting the stability of the stand. Even 8-12 more inches would probably help alot.

Nonetheless, I do agree with you that the M2s as heights will probably help out given that my surrounds are placed lower. To be honest, I've never had any issues with direct sounds out of the sides (i.e. sound intended to be behind the viewer) but sometimes I feel that ambient sounds sometimes don't reach their full impact. I think this is where the heights will help.

If I was wall-mounting the heights I'd use QS8s but I'm going to place them on a bookshelf so I'll go with the M2s.

BTW - what are your thoughts on having my right side surround mounted to the back wall facing into the room and parallel with (not perpendicular to) the listening spot. I could potentially mount them about 2-3 feet above the listening spot in this arrangement (assuming my wife doesn't balk). I had originally wired for this arrangment in addition to dropping it to the floor to support a stand. I've never tried it though.

The left surround would be perpendicular and directly to the side of the main listening area (almost ideal, if not slightly behind the sitting area).

Thanks!

Bryan

Re: Height channels?
icehawk21 #327654 11/05/10 10:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think that any issues caused by having your surrounds facing is different directions will be outweighed by the benefit of raising them up and improving their ability to radiate ambient sound. Also, you could always try mounting both of them on the back wall as several members have done that to good effect. In my first room I found the best place for my 2 QS8s was in the back corners with the tweeters facing parallel to each wall. Though this goes against the general principle of not corner loading speakers I found that it didn’t colour the sound from them in any way (though my receiver detected them as larger than they were).

I would certainly advise that you could temporaraly increase the height by putting the stands on boxes and have a listen. I just wouldn’t leave them that way unless you can come up with some way to anchor them to the wall.

Depending on what your wife will put up with you could put up shelves on the back wall with a hole cut in for the bottom firing driver. That way you could play with angling them into the room or toward you seating and try to dial in the best possition. Having a shelf rail would also let you adjust the height to whatever you find optimal for your situation.

However, the QS8s are very forgiving of placement and I really don’t think you would have any problems with the side wall rear wall setup you are considering.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 1,035 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup