I woke up to the sound of a FedEx truck yesterday
#329033 11/20/10 09:03 AM
T
Twiggz Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
Hey guys, after a long painful wait, I finally received my Axioms yesterday. For those that didn't see my original thread asking for advice from the pros, I ended up with two M22s, a VP150 and two QS8s. I'm running an HSU STF2 sub and a cheap Sony 5.1 receiver for now. All this is in a room 22.5' x 13.5' x 8'

First thing I noticed out of the box... Wow these speakers are solid! I couldn't believe how heavy a single QS8 was. Then when I got to the VP150, I had doubts that the FMB would be able to hold it.

I opened all the boxes to inspect all my new toys. The only issue I had was with one of the Full Metal Brackets. The screw that is on the top of one FMB was cross threaded and stripped the housing. The screw head looked slightly crooked to me, and it fell out after a slight CCW turn. At the point the threads were done and it had nothing to bite into when I tried to screw it back in. I feel if the screw they provided was slightly longer it wouldn't have been an issue.
I thought for a second of calling Axiom and getting it replaced. Then threw that nonsense out the window, because I wanted my speakers up that night! So I ran a tap through my FMB, picked up a slightly longer screw at the HW store and all was right in my world again.

First step was to toss my "theater in a box" Sony's into a new box designated to the attic.
The M22's I was able to mount on my wall high enough to be out of my 13mo Son's reach. This placed the tweeter above my ear level, but nothing could be done about it if I wanted to keep them safe. Besides at my seating distance I was told having the tweeter that high wouldn't be an issue. I was lucky because there were studs, 8" from each side of my TV. I had picked up a bunch of drywall "butterflies" incase I couldn't find a stud, BUT because of the weight of the M22's and VP150 I have doubts of them holding.

Next was the VP150, and this is where I ran into an issue. There was no stud in my wall to mount it just above the TV. I considered using the butterflies, but kept having a vision of them pulling a chunk of drywall out and seeing my beautiful new speaker crash to the floor.
There was a window in that wall at one point, and I found a horizontal stud at roughly 7'. So that's where I felt the safest attaching the FMB. After it was mounted, I aimed the VP150 directly where I would be sitting with fingers crossed It wouldn't sound odd.

QS8's were flush wall mounted with the supplied "T" bracket and some butterflies without an issue.

I let my Receiver run is auto gain and distance cals. Then it was time to test out my new speakers. I chose to watch Scott Pilgrim vs the world on Blu-Ray first. For one, because I'm a videogame dork, two the music is catchy and three, my friend who helped me mount my speakers wanted to see it.

First thing I noticed was voices were clear, loud and very realistic. It instantly made me realize how bad my original setup was.
Once the first song came on, I think I had a grin from ear to ear. I heard sounds that I didn't know existed in that movie (I already watched it twice before). It filled my room like it was all around me. I couldn't pick out any single speaker through out the whole movie. The voices all sounded like they were coming from the screen and not my ceiling.
Now I know to you guys that's what you've experienced for years, but this is a first for me. I now see what you guys mean when you say "seamless".

The second movie I popped in was The Pacific. Shortly after is when I realized how awesome the QS8's were. The first rain scene came up, and I was there with the guys in the middle of the storm. It took me a moment before I realized it, but I didn't notice at all when the QS8's started pumping out the sound effects. With my old setup, you knew exactly which speaker was pushing out its sickly sounds haha.

This morning the wife was watching the second part of the Pacific, and when I got up about 7' away from the TV, I could tell the voices were coming from above. I was a little bummed at first. But because it seems to be the safest spot for the speaker, and at my normal seating position it sounds perfect I deemed it as not that important.

But that does raise a question. Has anyone wall mounted a M22 or VP150 using only butterflies and drywall with no stud to screw into? I'm not going to risk being the first haha.

Tonight I'm going to try the Xbox and maybe watch an old favorite of mine, Fight Club.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice! I'm very happy with my setup, and still excited about it. I can be a bit long winded when I'm excited... or drunk. For the record, I'm not drunk. grin

Dean (the not so scruffy one)

Re: I woke up to the sound of a FedEx truck yesterday
Twiggz #329034 11/20/10 10:26 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Nice choices on material to try out. I still need to see The Pacific. I'll get it when the Blu-ray gets a little cheaper. But yeah, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Fight Club sound great.

Did you mount the M22s upside-down to get the tweeters lower? Other guys can chime in on how they would mount them without relying on studs. I haven't had to mount any speakers besides my rear QS8s so far.

Congratulations on the new gear!

CV #329036 11/20/10 10:52 AM
Hey Twiggz-
Glad you're enjoying the system! The nice thing is that it's very likely you'll keep that feeling for a long time of "discovering" how great the Axioms are!

For the center mount issue, what about spanning a(n attractive) board horizontally across two studs?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #329039 11/20/10 01:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I second the idea of spanning 2 studs with a board to mount the VP150 to. My suggestion is just to paint the board the same color as the wall.

CatBrat #329044 11/20/10 02:40 PM
G
GTZ Offline
old hand
old hand
G
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I second the idea of spanning 2 studs with a board to mount the VP150 to. My suggestion is just to paint the board the same color as the wall.

Or if the 150 is Boston Cherry you could also stain the board to match the color.

M80's, VP150, QS8's (all V3) Epic Sentinel Sub
Powered by Pioneer Elite
GTZ #329067 11/20/10 06:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yay Dean! Enjoy!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
GTZ #329070 11/20/10 06:25 PM
J
J
Congrats! Pics?

I would mount a shelf supported across 2 studs and lay the 150 on it or at the least use a second FMB so the weight is supported by 2 mounts this would hold it easily, I would forget about the single FMB and no stud mounting.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
CV #329097 11/21/10 01:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
Nice choices on material to try out. I still need to see The Pacific. I'll get it when the Blu-ray gets a little cheaper. But yeah, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Fight Club sound great.

The mid-air collision in Flight Club always turns my knuckles white. I watched Scott Pilgrim right after I got my new sub. I didn't have everything dialed in yet, and it was about 4 dB hot. After the movie was over I felt like I was one of the Evil Exes who just got pummeled.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #329217 11/22/10 12:36 AM
T
Twiggz Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
Thanks everyone! No good pics yet, but will take some soon. Just a warning, the room has been redone and I told my wife not to choose shelving or decorate till AFTER I install my speakers. So the walls are bare except for my Axioms and hanging wires waiting to be hidden.

I mentioned today that I plan to lower the center, and "she that must be obeyed" was very happy with that news. To her its an eyesore being that high up, and to me I want the sound closer to my TV. Different priorities and all

I haven't decided on shelving or a support board that goes across from stud to stud. If I go for a board, it will give me an excuse to buy that router I've always wanted haha. Ill see where the wife wants the shelves later. Any wood workers out there have a suggestion on the type of wood? Pine is soft and easy to work with, maybe I'll go for that and counter sink a nut, bolt and lock washer to attach the FMB. Hmm to paint or to stain??? I'm horrible at decorating. I can't seem to picture it in my head like some people can. If you met me before I ended up with my wife you would understand. I'm the type of guy that had a craftsman rolling tool chest in my living room. crazy

I'm at work tonight, Ill see if the wife can snap a pic and get your suggestions.

CV #329220 11/22/10 12:43 AM
T
Twiggz Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
Originally Posted By: CV

Did you mount the M22s upside-down to get the tweeters lower?

I highly suggest picking up the Pacific. It wasn't cheap, but it was a great series. I think I liked it more then Bad of brothers.

I mounted the M22's the normal way. I didn't notice any difference in sound from sitting on the floor to standing up. Either my ear isn't that sensitive, or people were right when they said at my distance it wouldn't matter.

Twiggz #329229 11/22/10 02:43 AM
G
GTZ Offline
old hand
old hand
G
Originally Posted By: Twiggz
Any wood workers out there have a suggestion on the type of wood? Pine is soft and easy to work with, maybe I'll go for that and counter sink a nut, bolt and lock washer to attach the FMB. Hmm to paint or to stain???

If you go with pine and decide to stain it keep in mind that pine being a softwood will really soak up the pigment in stain quick. I suggest first applying a coat of conditioner, available where stains are sold like Home Depot, etc. It will block the stain a little so it doesn't turn out too dark. You might want to experiment with the side that will go up against the wall. If you are going to paint I would suggest poplar wood. It takes paint well and is harder that pine but still easy to work with.

Last edited by GTZ; 11/22/10 02:45 AM.

M80's, VP150, QS8's (all V3) Epic Sentinel Sub