Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Any recommendations?
#33811 02/12/04 03:07 PM
local
OP Offline
local
I've been lurking on this site for a few days, time to ask for help. My wife and I are in the market for a sound system for our living room. It will be used 75% of the time for music and 25% for video (dvd and tv). The room is 12' X 14' with a 9'coved ceiling. My idea is to use 2 pair of 3mti speakers for front and surround speakers and match them up with a center speaker. My wife is a little uncertain about a sub as our 4 year old daughter sleeps directly above the room. Is a sub an absolute necessity with this configuration. I'm thinking about matching up a receiver and dvd player(brands), HK or Yamaha perhaps. Any ideas for the system would be greatly appreciated. I wish I had another $1,000 to spend, but the financial restraints are pretty firm. Thanks for the help.
jorge016

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
Re: Any recommendations?
#33812 02/12/04 03:51 PM
local
local
For small bookshelf speakers, I'd definitely get a sub, even if a small one like the Hsu STF-1 ($300). If adjusted properly it probably wouldn't disturb your daughter, although this would depend on your listening level and house construction.

Axiom speakers have a nice detailed sound so many people enjoy them without cranking the volume way up. Properly adjusted the sub won't be boomy or obvious like you hear from cars playing hip-hop music. It just augments the bottom end in a smooth, cohesive manner.

One possible config is M3tis up front, VP100 center, QS4s for surround, and Hsu STF-1 for a sub.

You said 75% music. If your receiver has Dolby PLII or Harmon Kardon Logic 7 to reconstruct surround from stereo, that would be great. If not you'll still have a nice stereo system. You can also examine whether your favorite music is available in multichannel surround format on SACD, DVD-A, Digital Dolby or DTS 5.1. The latter three will play on most DVD players, SACD requires a special or universal player. However universal DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD players are available inexpensively -- the Pioneer DV-563A is about $170.

Some sources to check for surround music are http://www.buydvdnow.com/, http://www.highfidelityreview.com/, and http://www.acousticsounds.com/

You can sample surround music by getting a DVD-A (which usually have Digital Dolby 5.1 compatibility tracks) and playing that on your DVD player. If you have a large stereo collection and don't go the discrete surround route, there are surround receivers with Dolby PLII for under $350.

#33813 02/12/04 04:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
jorge, it sounds like you have a good start on things.
The 4 M3s all around for music would be very nice. Because they are smallish in size most ppl would recommend a sub but you can decide if you want one at a later date. There is no rush. However it would help to fill in some of the low end for music and certainly more boom for movies. Even a small sub is better than none at all and volumes are always adjustable.
As for costs, take a look at the Factory Outlet offerings that Axiom has. You can save 10% on the speakers which helps to open up the pocket for maybe slighter higher featured electronics or savings for other components.

Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, NAD, Pioneer are all good names that sell cd players, dvd players, receivers, etc., in various price levels for your choosing. Stick to your budget unless you know you can afford the debt. Do not let anyone convince you of the features that you need. That being said, for modern dvds, getting a receiver that is capable of Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 playback should be on the features required list. Most do have it now days, even receivers that cost $100 or less.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#33814 02/12/04 06:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just as another idea. Your room isn't all that big, and your preference is for music. How about this:

M2i mains
VP100 center
QS4 surrounds
Hsu STF-1 sub

Most peoples idea of a subwoofer is this big box that booms really loud. That what a crappy subwoofer sounds like. A good subwoofer is nearly unnoticed. It'll sound like your little speakers are making all the music. Your room is small, and it sounds like you won't be cranking the volume, so the STF-1 may be perfect for you.

I suggest the QS series surrounds because they envelope you in surround information really well. Even though you say you'll be listening to music mostly, the QS surrounds work really well in that function as well. Besides, most music is still listed with 2 channel stereo anyway. Even when I've engaged DPLII, the surround channels receive very little information.

Lastly, the M2i's are really great speakers, and not as small as you might think! I was really surprised at how big and heavy they were when they arrived. They'll give you Axiom's trademark clarity beautifully.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,487
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044