Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Perfect size movie room
CatBrat #347614 05/09/11 05:00 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks all
well I may go with three in the front row, me being centre. and four in the back on a riser.
I find with the 60" I am only about 9 ft away and it is too close and tiresome after a while.Also, I want the movie theatre experience.
Mostly for movies grunt. However I do like watching concert videos and therefore, I perfer 2 ch or 2.2.
I was thinking the EP800 in a verticle position up front and below the centre channel. However couldn't quite see how this would be better than a single, given the duo's are so close together. Basically how is it much different than the EP600, besides volumn and power.
That is good to know that having duo subs EP500's are best one up front and one rear.
So, one up front and one out of phase in the rear is better than two upfront as in SirQuack theatre pics ?
hmm, playtime placement I guess.
yeh, that is also a point I was thinking about with the 60" is I want the speakers within a foot of the sides but, find 8 ft apart puts me too close.

How far from the side walls would the M80's work best, acoustically treated walls and what is the best seperation between te two. I was thinking 10 - 11 ft and me being 10 - 11 ft away. Therefore a 100" +- screen would be great.
So, if I went with a 102" screen, which is 9ft and allowed 6" to the M80's this would put me at 12ft to the outter edges of the M80's. and about 10ft from centre stage. if I but up a EP500 on either side that makes the rm 15 ft wide and no spacing between subs and walls. If however I went to the insides of the M80's then I can allow 2ft from the M80's to the side walls at a 15.5ft width ..perfect now that means the subs will be upfront and 3 ft from the side walls and 8 ft apart. is this too close for a dual sub system. unless of course I go one up one back and centred. maybe two EP600s in a verticle postion front or back or one EP800 ?

Hmm just me and my daughter so maybe I will cancel the rear seating and get two sets of 3 theatre seats for each corner in the rear and put a EP600/800 in the rear cente and one up front. Not it is (1) EP800 or (2) EP600/500's . I am allowing $2500 - $4000 for my sub expense and want the best for this rm and size.

I am still trying to figure out if M80's or bookshelfs are best for movies yet. lol So , I may end up with two systems in one rm yet

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #347615 05/09/11 05:03 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
oh, one more thought Grunt ...
the THX means nothing to me really, I just loved the sound of the M&K's so thought I would try them out for theatre.
Not quite sure I like the drop off at 80hz. I am getting an idea of there sound and capibilites now with out a sub as my sub amp is toast. But will hopefully have my sub soon.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #347618 05/09/11 05:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Mostly for movies grunt. However I do like watching concert videos and therefore, I perfer 2 ch or 2.2.

I don’t even buy a concert video if it’s not in surround sound any more. Most of the BD video and even a few of the multi-channel DVD ones are far superior to anything 2.0 or 2.1.

Quote:

I was thinking the EP800 in a verticle position up front and below the centre channel. However couldn't quite see how this would be better than a single, given the duo's are so close together. Basically how is it much different than the EP600, besides volumn and power.

Each step up the subwoofer chain will give you more SPL at a given frequency especially at the lowest frequency. If you want deeper bass you generally want a bigger more powerful subwoofer. If you want flatter in room bass response (usually more important IMO) then multiple subwoofers may help with that but only if placed to do so. IMO two subs placed close together aren’t going to give you much more than a +3dB boost in SPL. Two subs up front placed with the mains may give you better stereo response from your subwoofers but only if you run an external crossover and send the deep bass and lower midbass meant for the mains to each subwoofer respectively (costly for little gain IMO if running M80s).

Quote:

That is good to know that having duo subs EP500's are best one up front and one rear.

Opposing placement is a generalization. Every room is unique and the best way to find optimal placement is by experimenting.

Quote:

So, one up front and one out of phase in the rear is better than two upfront as in SirQuack theatre pics ?

If both subwoofers are not in phase they will sound terrible. Also dual subwoofer placement is much easier to manage with a receiver capable of .2 with discrete distance and SPL settings for each sub.

Quote:

How far from the side walls would the M80's work best, acoustically treated walls and what is the best seperation between te two. I was thinking 10 - 11 ft and me being 10 - 11 ft away. Therefore a 100" +- screen would be great.

How far is room/seating dependent. The general rule is to have at least 3 feet to prevent certain frequencies from having interference from their counterparts reflected off the wall. This could certainly be mitigated by treatments but some sound reflected off the walls is good for expanding the front soundstage. Only experimentation will tell.

I hung my screen so that it’s above my M80s so I’d have freedom to move them around w/o worrying about blocking the screen. However, I have really big chairs so I can easily see over them. a dual riser for both the front and back row would take care of that, but you’d also need to have a high enough ceiling to accommodate the width of the screen you want.

Quote:

So, if I went with a 102" screen, which is 9ft and allowed 6" to the M80's this would put me at 12ft to the outter edges of the M80's. and about 10ft from centre stage. if I but up a EP500 on either side that makes the rm 15 ft wide and no spacing between subs and walls.

Not allowing for spacing between the subs and walls is a bad move. They may sound great there or they may sound like crap but if you leave yourself no other options. . . . Just as much if not more importance to overall sound quality is subwoofer placement. If you are looking for the best possible sound then be prepared to place the subwoofers darn near anywhere since you won’t now their optimal location until you use them.

The odds that you will be able to get the “best possible” sound out of your system, and also have an esthetically pleasing look when it comes to subwoofer, placement is unlikely. You may get lucky you may not. You’ll just have to decide which is more important to you in the end.

Quote:

I am still trying to figure out if M80's or bookshelfs are best for movies yet. lol So , I may end up with two systems in one rm yet

Bookshelf speakers are usually easier to place in relation to walls but for the absolute best HT experience I would get the M80s/VP180 unless you have a fairly small room.

Also don’t get too hung up on the equilateral triangle between your mains and sweet spot. Like all the other factors I’ve mentioned and you’ve likely read about it’s just one of many variable. Having your mains closer to each other than the distance to your seating but with proper side wall reflections could very well sound better than having and equilateral triangle and give you a more even front soundstage. Experimenting with speaker placement is the only way to optimize your sound. Following the general guidelines you read about is a good starting point but It’s a good idea to give yourself some wiggle room.

Quote:

oh, one more thought Grunt ...
the THX means nothing to me really, I just loved the sound of the M&K's so thought I would try them out for theatre.
Not quite sure I like the drop off at 80hz. I am getting an idea of there sound and capibilites now with out a sub as my sub amp is toast. But will hopefully have my sub soon.

I didn’t make any reference to “THX certification” if you are referring to the screen distance calculator I only linked to that to give you a starting point from which to decide on a screen size in relation to your seating distance. Some people like either a bigger or smaller screen but I find the THX recommendation gives the best results in filling your field of vision w/o being so big you have to turn your head to follow on screen action.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #347625 05/09/11 08:59 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Info is good, I like that site too Grunt.
I think I need a 102" screen if I am 11 - 13 ft away.
Just need to experiment I guess.
I have the bookshelfs I am ordering M80's for music upstairs, I will test and compare them to the MK's and see where the differences are. Atleast with the bookshelfs I can put them over the Subs and still have two - three feet clearance to the wall and still have a 11ft seperation.
Don't want to put the 80's on top of the subs.
Just really trying to figue out the room size for a 102" screen and M80's and also a dual sub, for reasons you have pointed out.
I just read a few times that if you have a sub up front it is in phase and if another in the reay to put it out of phase so the waves do not cancel out each other. Then I also read that makes the room boomy.
I may also try going 15ft across the front and 19ft across the back or visa versa ?

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #347750 05/10/11 09:54 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
well, I thought and thought about this but, I think I will build it 15.5'w x 19'L x 7.5'H

if I space the subs across the front ( hopefully this will sound best ) but at 1/3 intervals. I would hav then 5ft from the walls and 5ft apart. this will put the M80's closer to the walls and about 2ft away. giving me 11ft seperation. I am sitting 11ft from the front screen which will be 102".and allows for 1ft spacing between the sides of the screen and the M80's.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #347879 05/11/11 03:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
True there is no 'perfect' room, but math hypothesizes that use of the golden ratio should reduce alot of the sound reflection problems in otherwise static rooms.

An example of the idea is here:
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/room_modes/modes.html

An example of the sweet spot and speaker placement based on the math concept is here:

Just another piece of info to cram into your already busy thoughts on room concepts.
smile

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #348359 05/17/11 11:19 AM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
axiom_man,

You are supposed to avoid having any of the dimensions divisible by the same number if at all possible. Since it sounds like you will be picking the dimensions then you can avoid having them all divisible by 3 (15.5 is nearly divisible by 3). I would just change them all slightly to avoid this issue, which can cause acoustic problems.

Nick B #348361 05/17/11 12:01 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
many studies have been made on this subject, here's a site about it:
http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/room_sizing/?content=index

J. B. #348451 05/17/11 10:11 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I guess what I am more concerned with is how much space up front i need ? if I have M80's, a 92- 108" screen, dual Subs most likely they are 2' wide so that takes up 4ft.

Basically how much space between the side walls and the M80' s do i need? say 1.5ft away given the M80's are 10" ea. so, that will require 4.5'. if I allow 1 ft from M80 to screen that 6.5' screen 8ft that's 14.5'. now that would put the subs 6ft apart up front the room 14.5'.
So should I allow more space to the side walls ? is 6ft space between two EP500's not enough ?

What would be the ideal space from the left to the right allowing for good speaker positioning ?
If dual subs is better than one, I would assume they not be side by side? That has already been answered in another topis, by Jake though.
Which leads me to ask is one EP800 better than two EP500's ?

The room will be approxiamalty 2300sq ft give or take a couple hundred

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
Nick B #348453 05/17/11 10:13 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Never heard this, I have heard the three sides not divisable between them or by a number. something like 15 x 21 x 7, where 3 or 7 would be a common or 12 x 16 x 7 where 4 would be the common
Originally Posted By: nickboros
axiom_man,

You are supposed to avoid having any of the dimensions divisible by the same number if at all possible. Since it sounds like you will be picking the dimensions then you can avoid having them all divisible by 3 (15.5 is nearly divisible by 3). I would just change them all slightly to avoid this issue, which can cause acoustic problems.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082