Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: IS your investment in stereo paid off?
chesseroo #349217 05/26/11 06:39 PM
Y
ykf Offline
Y
I'm a new axiom owner and this is my 1st post on this forum.

I share you concerns too! Having just moved into a new house and installed my new set of speakers in our family room, I was so eager to start appreciating my CD collections all over again. But I quickly realized that it's not going to happen.

During the weekdays, I can only enjoy music when my 7-year old is done with watching the cartoon network and Mrs is done with her TV soaps. By that time, it's already 10pm and any listening has to be done at low volume as the little one has gone to bed! So that leaves me with almost no options of listening to my collection.

As regards the weekends, there's so many things happening that you barely have time. And still have to contend with a kid glued to the TV.

So, in the end, my audio system will be used for casual listening when we are entertaining guests or when watching a movie. It looks like until I finish my basement with a dedicated HT, I'm not going to make the most out of it.

On the other hand, like chesseroo mentioned, the speakers look and sound good. So, if you consider them more like pieces of furniture than a set of speakers, you'll be able to justify the cost!!!

Axiom M22v3 on-wall, VP150v3, QS8v3
SVS PC12-NSD DSP
Oppo BDP-93
Yamaha RX-V1800
Panasonic TC-P58S1
tomtuttle #349223 05/26/11 07:43 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I have 4 2 channel systems (maybe I should be 2x4?).

1. Muse Audio D class 2 channel amplifier, about 8 wpc into 8 ohms ($30)
2. Pyramid Power Supply (about $35)
3. Sony DV 999 CD/DVD player. (used $100)
4. Michaura M55 speakers (like our M22s)
5. Velodyne 10" sub (about $250 on sale)
Price altogether $565 (ubid was giving away the Michauras, put down $100)
Sound Quality? EXCELLENT.

Kenwood KA9100 flagship 2 channel amplifier - used local paper $100
Sony CA9ES CD player ($100 used)
M22s (used $150)
subwoofer Velodyne CHT10 about $250.
Cost about $600
Sound Quality? EXCELLENT

Harman Kardon 665 flagship 2 channel amp - used local paper $100
Michaura M66 (like our M60s) (about $200 ebay or ubid don't remember)

You don't have to spend $5,000 for a great 2 channel system.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #349224 05/26/11 08:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
ykf. It sounds like you need a sound proof room. Is there any room away from the main living area, preferably in a basement, that you could work on doing some soundproofing?

If so, there is plenty of info available for soundproofing ideas. The Soundproofing Company is a good place to start.

CatBrat #349228 05/26/11 08:53 PM
Y
ykf Offline
Y
That's been on my mind, CatBrat, but I cannot finish the basement for at least 2 years. Since it's a new home, we have to wait for it to settle, ensure there are no leakage or cracks in the concrete basement walls.

Is there a temporary acoustic treatment I could apply to the walls/floor/ceiling to manage the excess sound reflections without costing an arm and a leg. Keep in mind I'll have to rip everything off when finish the basement a couple of years down the road.

I'm trying to be as practical as possible and ignore the aesthetics aspect at this point.

So I was actually thinking of doing only the 2 interior walls of the future listening room now and apply some studio foams to the walls. But how about the 2 exterior concrete walls that currently have full height R12 insulation covered with a vapor barrier?

Any suggestions regarding the ceiling and concrete floor?

SVS PC12-NSD DSP
Oppo BDP-93
Yamaha RX-V1800
Panasonic TC-P58S1
ykf #349229 05/26/11 09:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One solution that would work the best in your situation would be a room within a room approach. Use existing concrete where available for floors walls because it doesn't transmit sound very well. Every where else, build a wall and a false ceiling that are disconnected from the remainder of the structure.

Become familiar with the products that The Soundproofing Company has. Then contact them and explain your situation. I would plan for installing a long term home theater building on the framework that you are installing now, so as to not waste this effort.

They have clips that you can use to connect the ceiling of the soundproof room to the floor above. These clips will help isolate the sound in the room below, by not passing on vibrations. For the other walls, you can either build a double wall where they don't touch with insulation in them. One wall is the theater room wall, the other wall is what you see from outside this room. Drywall on only the visible portions. You can also build a slightly less effective wall by using 2x6's and stagger the 2x4 studs so that they support drywall, but they don't touch each other. Use a solid core door that seals good all around. Use 2 layers of drywall seperated by Green Glue, which is sound dampening. etc etc etc. Sound proofing is a science that is fairly easy to learn.

2x6spds #349230 05/26/11 09:14 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
(maybe I should be 2x4?)

grin or "4x2". That's funny.

I can't believe you got that KA9100 for $100. Sweet deal.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
CatBrat #349258 05/27/11 04:16 AM
Y
ykf Offline
Y
Wow!!! Thanks a lot for all the info. The Soundproofing Company does seem to specialize in acoustic treatment.
I'll contact them to see if they would ship to Canada. I hope they do have a dealer here.

Your suggestion is along the line of building a home studio. Though a wonderful idea, this is a big budget project that I cannot undertake now but I'll surely have to start budgeting for it.

In the interim, I'll see what they can propose.

Thanks again CatBrat.

SVS PC12-NSD DSP
Oppo BDP-93
Yamaha RX-V1800
Panasonic TC-P58S1
ykf #349294 05/27/11 09:47 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: ykf
And still have to contend with a kid glued to the TV.

Seriously? And you think this is a better option than playing music?

Having kids "glued" to the television is not healthy. For the eyes, mind, body or soul.

I can kinda understand the wife having veto power (a lot of p-whipped dudes around here, lolz), but letting a kid be in charge of the house? Why I never!

Man, things sure have changed since I was a kid. confused

I think you're doing a disservice to your child by putting the boob tube over music. They develop healthy and unhealthy habits early, I would think that music (or books) would have a better "influence" over a young and growing mind.

But that's just my opinion...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #349308 05/28/11 04:17 AM
Y
ykf Offline
Y
While I appreciate your comments, I don't think this is a parenting forum to address those issues. So, I would not discuss that part any further.

However, I can tell you that even though I was able to get him to listen and appreciate songs such as Hotel California and the likes, he is more into Justin Bieber.

SVS PC12-NSD DSP
Oppo BDP-93
Yamaha RX-V1800
Panasonic TC-P58S1
ykf #349309 05/28/11 06:08 AM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: ykf
However, I can tell you that even though I was able to get him to listen and appreciate songs such as Hotel California and the likes, he is more into Justin Bieber.

That just means he's a pretty normal kid! grin

I do hope you keep exposing him to good music though. You're the biggest influence on him at that age.

Sorry to sound so critical, I'm sure you're a good parent, I just hate television's hold on the minds of the young (and old!).

Kids really do have such a short time to be innocent and uncorrupted by the evil media(s) of the world...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup