Print Thread
Rate Thread
Home Theater with 4 speakers
#35725 03/02/04 10:46 PM
J
JonW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I would like to upgrade my old recevier and speakers to take advantage of the surround sound in DVD movies. I have read that most aurround receivers can play 5.1 sound without the sub and center channel by blending the center channel and sub into the front speakers. Is this correct? If so how is the sound?

My main interest is in music (95% of my usage) so although I would like to be able to take advantage of the 5.1 sound in movies it is not my top priority.

My thoughts right now are to upgrade my receiver (any suggestion for a $500 or less receiver), get a pair of surround speakers and then maybe upgrade my mains and/or add a center channel or sub.

On the subject of surround speakers how much difference do the dedicated surrouns type speakers make above ordinary small bookshelf types.

My main speakers are 12 year old Advent Prodigy Tower speakers. Anybody want to comment on how much say a M40ti will improve the sound (mainly interested ni the music aspect). Also if I am gonig to upgrade the main speakers I think for my interests the money would best be spent on a good tower and forget the sub at leat initially. I would like to add a center speaker eventually.

Also keep in mind that my movie listening is mainly done at night with the kids in bed so its low volume level.

Re: Home Theater with 4 speakers
#35726 03/03/04 02:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Jon,
Since no one has yet replied to your post, i'll see what advice i can pass along.

1) You can use any number of speakers for surround sound. You do not need a subwoofer although for movies it does help to hit the lower notes with higher sound volumes (SPL) than most towers or bookshelf style speakers can produce.
The center channel is great for dialogue but your 2 front speakers should be able to create a perfect stereo image such that the dialogue/music should 'sound' like it is coming directly in the centre of your listening area.

2) There are many receivers for under the $500 (USD?) mark. Stick to good brand names like Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, NAD, Rotel (may not be under $500 here), Pioneer and Harmon Kardon.
Many have already been discussed on these forums. Try some searching.

3) Dedicated surrounds vs. direct speakers for surrounds becomes a personal preference. Again this has been asked and discussed many times on the forums.

4) Going with the M40s over your present speakers may not improve the sound at all. It will however sound very different. All we can tell you is how the M40 sounds in character (unless someone has heard your present brand and model at some other point in time but my guess is this is unlikely). Try a seach for M40s and see what comes up.

5) Kids in bed? Not a concern. The volume knob on your receiver will take care of that.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#35727 03/03/04 03:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
An addition to help you along:

Review of M40s and other Axioms by fhw

QS8s vs M22s as surrounds (my opinion long ago)

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#35728 03/03/04 03:49 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
For people going from 2 channel to home theater, I recommend adding speakers in this order:
1- subwoofer. for music you don't really need to hear anything below 40hz, but most hollywood movies have a lot of special effects sound below 40 hz. a sub will complete the audio spectrum for your movies and give you the impact of a big theater. A good 2 channel system with a sub sounds really good with dvd's.
2. now you need a dolby/dts receiver. Don't spend too much if you already have a good stereo amp. use your stereo amp to drive your main speakers and the receiver to drive the other speakers.
3. surrounds. there's no point having the receiver without getting surround speakers. throw some qs4's or 8's behind you. Going form a 2.1 setup to 4.1 makes a big difference.
4. last but not least, add the center. If you get a center, it becomes the most important speaker in your system so get a good one. Audition center speakers until you find one that sounds more clear with dialoge than your two main speakers. oh, make sure it blends well with the mains too. When listenting from the 'sweet spot' a center speaker makes a movie sound different, not necessarily much better, but what the center speaker does is anchor the dialoge to the screen no matter where your are sitting.

good luck!

#35729 03/03/04 04:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was all set to tell you to forget the surrounds and get a butt-kickin' sub, but then I saw that you have kids. Me too.
The kid is awesome - best boy ever! , but I've seen one movie at home in 6 mos.
For receivers, I'd recommend the Pioneer at Costco for $179. I have it upstairs and it does everything my Denon does (6 channel amp, 7.1 processing, pre-outs, etc...).

Last edited by BigWill; 03/03/04 04:35 AM.
#35730 03/03/04 06:20 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
BigWill,

I'm in the same boat. Plenty of time for music, not much for movies.

#35731 03/03/04 03:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You guys are making me glad I'm single and childless.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020