Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need Speaker Selection guidance to complete sy
#35898 03/03/04 03:42 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Good summary chess. All appear to be in agreement.

#35899 03/05/04 06:12 AM
OP Offline
Hi again All!

Firstly, thank you for the immediate flood of replies offering assistance.

Secondly, I want to apologize if I offended anyone with my "submissiveness."

Seriously though, having read through my entire post again, I suppose that would be a valid assessment. It's just that I think it too often goes unnoticed by the "virgin ears" like myself, just what a remarkable resource you provide. Imagine the timely exchange of information from the minds of those in the know to those less "battle-ready", taking place in a courteous and magnanimous manner, all of your own accord arising solely from a desire to assist with very little compensation, if any, in sight on the return end. Heck I couldn't even PAY for such at a high-end audio retailer.

As you are doing me a service I want to prove my receptiveness and not bite the hand that feeds me. Often the case on other fora that I visit, in response to my question, or one like it, a regular could have generated this: "It'd be helpful to use the SEARCH function once in a while." End of story.

So in advance, thanks again for taking the time to help, you guys really rise above the rest out there. Now moving on to my replies:

I can't believe that with all of my drivel in the first post, I couldn't find the space to mention that I have a sub already. It happens to be a Hsu STF-2, again another golden recommendation from those on this board. And you're right, I wouldn't even think about rounding out the system without the purchase of a sub first.

With some more searching I was also able to uncover your great detailed comparison, chesseroo, of the M22 vs. QS8's for surround duty. As stated, it all comes down to the primary use of the system that governs the purchasing path followed. Given my small room at the moment, my primary emphasis on music listening and the difficulty posed in having to wall-mount speakers with my room setup, I am leaning towards purchasing the M2's for rear duty now, and holding off on the QS8's and center channel until I have more funds as well as a larger room (hopefully in 6-12months). I figure that this way if I should ever up the system from 5.1 to 7.1 I could use my already acquired M2's for rear center duty, like so many others seem to be doing.

How does this idea sit with everyone? Feedback is very much appreciated!

A big thanks to all again for busting out their guiding rays of light and clearing up the haze

#35900 03/05/04 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Intrepid,
In reply to:

A big thanks to all again for busting out their guiding rays of light and clearing up the haze

I personally think you are up for poster of the year!
These posts are like reading poetry. So eloquent and hmm, yes i guess submissive but so darn polite.
Please keep writing. Maybe it will rub off on the forums like some magical fairy dust. My writing could always use a tweak or two BUT THAT'S IT.

I think your plan sounds just fine. M2s as rears, eventually QS8s as surrounds and somewhere down the line maybe a centre channel. Be sure to let us know how you like the M2s as surrounds. Eventually a comparison with the QS8s in the same positions would be a plus to add to the repertoire of opinions on things.

And dangsnabbit, next time use the search function eh? (jus kiddin)

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#35901 03/05/04 04:28 PM
local
local
For a 70%/30% music/HT mix, whether you'll use multichannel music is possibly the biggest decision point. For example for pure stereo, the surrounds are less important. Whether your receiver has Dolby PLII or Logic 7 to extract surround from stereo is a factor. Whether you'll be getting multichannel SACD and DVD-A discs (and a player) is a factor.

For 70% music, 30% HT, personally I think 7.1 isn't needed. There's essentially no 7.1 music, and not enough 5.1 music!

A 2.1 config with M22 and STF-2 is a great sounding, compact system. Just those alone are better than you'd believe. To add relatively compact and inexpensive surround, add a VP100 center and QS4 surrounds. For music, theoretically direct radiating speakers are better. However the QS4 mounts more easily into space restricted areas than many "box" type speakers. My QS8s sound great for surround music.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup