Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need help troubleshooting, please.
#36271 03/07/04 01:31 AM
Merlock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I have a Pioneer VSX-D509S and I just received 2 M3tis, 2 QS4s, a VP100 and a Hsu STF-2.

I've got everything set-up and I'm testing the system for the first time and put on a CD I know has some decent base. It starts to play and sounds good, but when it really starts to get going the receiver flashes "Overloading" on it's display and shuts down.

I've been using this receiver with this CD player with a 5.1 setup (Old, crappy Yamaha speakers and sub...don't ask)for about a year and it's never done this.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Debate is not a competition, it's a search for the truth...
Re: Need help troubleshooting, please.
#36272 03/07/04 01:38 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Merlock, did you go into the setup menu and set all of 5 of your speakers to "small" , set subwoofer to "yes" and set your subwoofer crossover to "80"?

Also, did you look in your receiver manual and see what it says about the flashing message in the troubleshooting section?

#36273 03/07/04 02:07 AM
Merlock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Ok, I set Center, Front and Surround to small and set the crossover to 100 (My choices are 100, 150 or 200). And it's still doing it.

My manual has no mention of this error.

I unhooked the Sub and it still did it when I turned up the volume. I tried just watching TV and it still did it.

Pretty frustrating.

Any more suggestions?

#36274 03/07/04 02:57 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Tim, this is rather unlikely, but in your speaker wire connections there could be a loose strand that shorts out only at high volume. If you haven't already done so, check all the connections and carefully re-do them even if they look okay. Those speakers don't present an unusually tough load, and that in itself shouldn't be the cause of the problem. Try disconnecting one speaker at a time and playing the system without it to see if possibly one of the speakers has an internal wiring problem and needs to be replaced.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#36275 03/07/04 03:05 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Merlock, hopefully one of the more technical folks will check in to provide some direction. The only other thing that comes to mind is from a recent thread I saw with a similar problem.

Take a very close look at how you have connected your speakers (i.e., the wires connected at the speakers and at the receiver). You may have a bare wire touching something it shouldn't and causing a short. Start the process by disconnecting one speaker at a time (at the receiver connection) to see if the problem goes away when that speaker is disconnected. If so, then there is likely a problem with the connections involving that speaker.

The connections may look OK, but a short can be well hidden and can cause havoc.

I hope this works for you. I'm pretty much out of spit. Well, almost - I DO know a shaman who can cook up a few herbs and chant for a couple of minutes, but that solution choice might be suspect.

#36276 03/07/04 03:06 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Ooops - looks like John K slipped in while I was still checking my spelling. Oh well, we still have the shaman as back up.

#36277 03/07/04 05:51 AM
Merlock Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Very cool. It was a loose connection in the left front speaker. Everything is working well now.

Thank you very much for the help, gents.

Incidentally, the loose connection was caused by the combination of banana connectors and an FMB. Has anybody else had trouble with the Full Metal Bracket taking up the space your connectors should be using? It would be just fine with bare wire, but I'm loathe to give up my connectors...

Thanks again!

#36278 03/07/04 02:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Glad the problem is solved. You can't miss with advice from JohnK and/or Ray.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020