Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: NASCAR 3D
#36928 05/11/04 09:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Excellent and Enviable Job, Craig!

Went to see "NASCAR 3D" Friday of last week with my 12 year old son. We were both very impressed. We do not watch NASCAR racing at home, so I was impressed at how well it enlightened someone who really does not know the background of NASCAR or the current field of play in oval track racing.

Personal Note: I was expecting a bit more bass from the soundtrack (not your fault I'm sure) but I guess I am spoiled to my SVS 20-39 PC+ at home...I think they did not have it calibrated correctly the day we saw it because upon seeing "Texas, The Big Picture" in the same theatre a couple of weeks previous, the experience had more bass...I did hear them dinking with the sound before we sat down though...

My son-in-law is a huge Dale Earnhardt fan and will be coming to town in a couple of weeks...may see if he would be interested in seeing it. I know he would enjoy it...my daughter, on the other hand, may not...Oh well, it will be a guy thing outing.

Spiff...I was interested in one prospect of the soundtrack though. Between Warner Brothers and NASCAR, they could not arrange to secure the use of the "original" recording of "La Grange" by ZZ Top instead of a cover? A good effort made by the artist, don't get me wrong, but I was a bit disappointed when it was not Dusty and the boys...From working in broadcast TV in a previous career life, I know getting approval for use of a particular piece of music can be a daunting task sometimes...

I saw the "effects" shot you referred to and I can say that it definitely made my son jump when it happened ...It was a bit cheesy in my opinion...but hey, you gotta give 'em 3D, right?

I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and would see it again. And probably will.

Again, Excellent Job, Craig!

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#36929 05/12/04 07:43 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks. I too am not a NASCAR fan, but really enjoyed it when I saw it.

As you might note...it's 12:45am and I'm at work. Now that NASCAR is done, Harry Potter has become my nightmare.

#36930 05/12/04 06:23 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Craig, Harry Potter is children's literature that is *designed* to cause nightmares. Or worse, if you listen to the lunatic fringe. I'm already on record as enjoying the book series as much as my children do.

You better hurry up and get your work done, because I've already made arrangements to see the fruits of your labor at the Pacific Science Center IMAX during the first week of June.

My clan is giddy with excitement to see Hogwarts in Imax. And I want you to be aware that our fellowship through these forums is going to meaningfully increase my enjoyment of the film.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#36931 05/12/04 07:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Me too, Craig. I've read all the books and seen the movies that have been released, and have enjoyed each immensely. I haven't heard anything about this project, so fill me in, please. Which Harry potter movie(s) are you readying for IMAX. Fortunately we have an IMAX theater here in Cleveland. I suppose it will be quite awhile before it will be viewable there, however.

What about it is causing you to see it as a nightmare; the movie itself , or the process of conversion?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#36932 05/12/04 07:50 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Jack (Craig, please correct me if I am wrong), I believe they are releasing "The Prisoner of Azkaban" simultaneously in traditional theatre format and in Imax theatres. The Imax site had info on the film, but did not have the specific theatres listed. My local Imax theatre did, however, confirm the dates/times on their site.

#36933 05/12/04 09:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks Tom. I'll have to check out my local IMAX site.

Did you happen to watch the first Harry potter movie on ABC, a few days ago. It was hosted by "Harry," "Ron," and "Hermione." I was amazed (though I shouldn't be, of course) at how those kids have grown. If they keep the same cast, by the time they film the seventh and last chapter, they'll all be about 35 years old.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#36934 05/12/04 10:13 PM
K
veteran
veteran
K
Craig- I caught NASCAR before it left the Bridge a few weekends ago. First off... WOW! It was so incredible that my brother and my buddy and I wanted to get back in line and see it again. And my buddy isn't even a NASCAR fan, either. He is now, though!

Beyond it being such an amazing experience, we saw about a dozen times on screen our friend who is the chief mechanich for Dale Earnhart, Jr. In 3D no less! He was in town the following weekend for the race at the CA Speedway and we told him about him being in the film, which he wasn't even aware of.

I've talked about this film so much to all my friends that we've actually planned to go see it with a big group of us at Universal City Walk next weekend. If you're not a NASCAR fan, you really will still enjoy this experience. The racing at the end of the movie put me on the edge of my seat. I can only imagine that it's the closest thing to actually driving a car at 180mph yourself. I highly recommend anyone reading this to go check this film out.

#36935 05/13/04 03:02 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Cool. Glad you liked it.

My nightmare is keeping seven cameras simulaneously shooting 24/7. I came into work on Tuesday at 8am...left at 6:30pm, returned that night at 11:45pm, and worked straight through until 1:30pm the next afternoon. Just to get up and be at work again today at 5:00am. bleck...this Harry Potter movie better be dang good.

#36936 05/13/04 05:26 PM
K
veteran
veteran
K
Craig- what exactly did you do on the NASCAR film? I know we've talked about your job before, but can you explain it a bit more for me? Just curious to hear. Which shot in the movie was the digital effects one? I need to go see it again soon, and I want to keep my eyes open for it.

And, is the new Harry Potter film going to be in 3D, too? Just curious.

Thanks again. Great, great movie!

-Kevin

#36937 05/13/04 06:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
He *could* tell us what goes on at Imax, but then he'd have to kill us all.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup