Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: axiom and other forums
john2013 #372286 04/06/12 10:12 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I like to thank Ian for the kind replies and the invite, would love to see axioms home. I've been up in sundridge for vacation the last 20 years but did not make it there last year. frown Might just see you this year though. Thanks to everyone else for the kind replies also.

john2013 #372304 04/07/12 12:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome, John, and thank you for a well thought out post offering a different view--it is appreciated. It's easy to get caught up in the which speaker, or component is "better" argument, after all, most of us want our stuff to be as good as can be. Maybe a more constructive way to look at it is to think of speaker A being "different" from speaker B, rather than better. Like you said, the "better than" argument may tend to step on others' toes, sometimes without meaning to.

Having listened to a handful of different speakers myself, although not in a double blind test, the one thing I've gathered from it all is the similarly good descriptive that Ian spoke about. At the end of the day, all the different components end up doing the same thing--letting us listen to music for our enjoyment. Some just do it with a different flavor. And there ain't nothin' wrong with that!

John, I hope you continue to stick around a post in the forum.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
john2013 #372334 04/07/12 02:16 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
John, welcome. We appreciated reading your thoughtful post. I'll comment on your observation that sometimes people get tired of the term "similarly good". Ian briefly touched on this in his reply to you, and the reality in my view is as he stated: differences among audio components where audible differences do it fact exist(i.e., speakers)are far less than sometimes stated. Terms which have no reasonable application in this connection, e.g. "huge", "night-and-day", "blows away", etc., are sometimes casually thrown about. Hopefully thoughtful listeners wouldn't get tired of a term that in many cases is simply a statement of reality.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #372354 04/07/12 04:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Johnk. As always I'm blown away by your sensible approach to things.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
St_PatGuy #372361 04/07/12 05:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Welcome, John, and thank you for a well thought out post offering a different view--it is appreciated. It's easy to get caught up in the which speaker, or component is "better" argument, after all, most of us want our stuff to be as good as can be. Maybe a more constructive way to look at it is to think of speaker A being "different" from speaker B, rather than better. Like you said, the "better than" argument may tend to step on others' toes, sometimes without meaning to.

This is why i abhor the use of the term "upgrade" most especially when it is applied to the more expensive or latest speaker design vs. less expensive or previous models.

Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Having listened to a handful of different speakers myself, although not in a double blind test, the one thing I've gathered from it all is the similarly good descriptive that Ian spoke about.

I share Ian's idea for tanking the terms "similarly good".
Just let people figure it out on their own.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup