Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Avengers [spoilers]
INANE #375499 05/08/12 02:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Funny Firefly came up. I just started rewatching them a few weeks ago.

I'm not arguing Charles, but for the sake of an interesting discussion, you could pick virtually any genre and make an argument that Star Wars already explored that aspect of Sci-Fi. Most obvious was medieval fantasy, of course. So you are definitely not wrong, but I'd hardly say Firefly copied Star Wars. I see them as pretty different concepts within Sci-fi.

Also, Star Wars was hardly the first throw in a western element. Let's go back to the late 60s and a Star Trek episode where the crew relived the shootout at the OK-Coral.

Even when the west was literally being won, there was sci-fi. Edgar Rice Boroughs started writing about John Carter of Mars in 1912. The majority of the stories took place on Mars but the main character was a toughened soldier from Virginia (OK, that's East vs. 'Western') but his personality and war tactics on Mars were derived from his pioneer days soldiery. There were mounts like horses and the bipedal ,insects like, warrior race who roamed the plains and fought against the more civilized human type cultures in the cities was pretty much pure cowboys vs. Indians.

Again, not arguing. Well, OK I am but in a fun way.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
INANE #375537 05/08/12 06:17 PM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Saying Firefly sucks might get your killed in the circle of friends I roll with.

Seriously thou, I never understood why people claim Star Wars is Western. Maybe for like 5% of it but that's it.

I liked Dollhouse but I definitely didn't love it the way I did Firefly. The story and characters weren't nearly as compelling.

As for 3D movies in the theater Avatar is still by far the best (technically) one I've seen. I'm going to put Transformers3 in a tie with Avengers for second place. Everything else I've seen doesn't even really deserve to be ranked. I've seen nearly every 3D movie in a converted IMAX theater for comparison.

Murph #375544 05/08/12 06:40 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted By: Murph
I'm not arguing Charles, but for the sake of an interesting discussion, you could pick virtually any genre and make an argument that Star Wars already explored that aspect of Sci-Fi. Most obvious was medieval fantasy, of course. So you are definitely not wrong, but I'd hardly say Firefly copied Star Wars. I see them as pretty different concepts within Sci-fi.

Good points, and I figured someone with more knowledge would have many earlier examples of western influence in science fiction. My problem isn't that he stole the idea from George Lucas or any other person, simply that the western stuff is what a lot of Firefly fans point to as being really great about the show. For me, it's done way too obviously to be effective.

And no worries about argument versus discussion on stuff like this. I know there's nothing sacred about my tastes. Everyone develops their own sensitivities to things. There's no such thing as perfect taste.

INANE #375545 05/08/12 06:43 PM
I don't really care about the western stuff on the show. I just enjoyed the plots and characters. And the mysteries.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #375548 05/08/12 07:41 PM
And the bewwbs.

INANE #375550 05/08/12 07:46 PM
Goes without saying.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
INANE #375552 05/08/12 08:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree Charles. Taste is 100% subjective. Sometimes, our own tastes even change.

I used to think Doctor Who was quiet simply terrible and that it was way to cheesy for me. Somewhere after realizing that I kept watching it anyway for some reason, I decided that there was a distinct wittiness to a lot of the lines that kept me waiting for the next one and that there was often a subtle cleverness to a lot of the plot lines. I was then able to accept that the cheesiness I perceived was actually what gave it it's charm.

But then again, admitting to be a Doctor Who fan hardly lends me any credibility. heheheh.

INANE #375554 05/08/12 08:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Now, back to Avengers.
On the way out of the theatre, my wife asked my what my favourite scene was. I was obviously taking too long to decide when she came out with.
"From the look on your face it was the scene where Gwyneth Paltrow was wearing those the short shorts!"

I could only laugh, to deny it might be in the top three might be a lie. Luckily she laughed too. Gotta luv my wife for putting up with me.

Murph #375555 05/08/12 08:14 PM
Gotta luv my wife for putting up with me.
Don't worry. We do.

Murph #375576 05/09/12 04:02 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Now, back to Avengers.
On the way out of the theatre, my wife asked my what my favourite scene was. I was obviously taking too long to decide when she came out with.
"From the look on your face it was the scene where Gwyneth Paltrow was wearing those the short shorts!"

I could only laugh, to deny it might be in the top three might be a lie. Luckily she laughed too. Gotta luv my wife for putting up with me.

heh

I don't think I can point to any one scene but (spoiler) when the Hulk beats the piss out of Loki had me laughing so hard I was crying.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters