C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Yes, whenever it gets to consumers, it's going to be more expensive no matter what, since I'm sure the minimum number of channels to really take advantage of it is going to increase again. But it sounds very scalable, so I'm sure most home systems are going to top out in the teens in # of speakers. I can't imagine the capability for more speakers is going to be an option in most receivers and processors. This is where it would be really helpful to have expansion boxes that you can hook up to your main unit which simply add more channels that the Atmos auto setup can assign on its own. I'm sure there would still be a cap based on how much processing power it has, but at least this would give some flexibility.

Axiom would be happy. I'd end up buying a lot more speakers. Ha ha. Sounds like they should work on some full(er) range surrounds, though.

Re: Dolby Atmos
CV #376788 05/22/12 01:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You've got an exponentially more expensive audio processor, and not only a much larger number of speakers, some full range, some not, but to experience what that guy did would mean something light-years more pricey than Axioms. Of course when you are using them (or planning to use them) in a mixing environment for multi-million dollar movies, then you want to spend the bankroll on the gear.

I am waiting for laser sound. That is where a small array of lasers can "inject" sound EXACTLY into the sound field location that you want using focused light. At that pinpoint in space, it excites the molecules in the air and produces sound waves. You would only need a couple of these arrays on the ceiling OR front/side/rear, whatever configuration works for you, and they are almost completely hidden as you only need the laser emitters exposed, and not entire speaker cabinets. Calibration could be very precise. You could either create an audience "bubble" in which the lasers could stay out of, or even have it scan the room with the current occupants, create a safe buffer around each person, and then with the moving lasers, you could have sound start in the back of your room or something like, say, a bee flying around. The lasers, could direct that bee, or even a swarm of bees, so that the sound goes literally right around your head in a swarming fashion, before going towards the screen. The sound would be fluid and not "jump" from one speaker to the next since it is moving with the laser.

That's what I want! I'd call it the DTS Lasres.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #376790 05/22/12 01:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

Nick, is there still time for you to "unFrench" that for me? It makes me feel like cutting off most of my moustache and wearing silly clothes. Apperciate it. Thanks.

Hey, no cards and letters form the Francophonies. I don't care if it isn't a "real" (ha! "real") word in Francais, it looks like one and that's enough for me.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
CV #376798 05/22/12 04:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nope. It isn't French... It's marketing!

Dolby Atmos... Like Atoms with 2 letters switched.

DTS Lasres... Like Lasers with 2 letters switched.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
CV #376802 05/22/12 04:54 PM
What's with the Atmos fear in here?

CV #376805 05/22/12 05:08 PM
grin

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
BobKay #376837 05/23/12 12:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

Nick, is there still time for you to "unFrench" that for me? It makes me feel like cutting off most of my moustache and wearing silly clothes. Apperciate it. Thanks.

Hey, no cards and letters form the Francophonies. I don't care if it isn't a "real" (ha! "real") word in Francais, it looks like one and that's enough for me.

All those in favour of Bob trimming his moustache and wearing silly cloths raise their hands now...

That's what I thought. So Bob, which outfit is up first?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #376842 05/23/12 12:50 AM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
I would like to see him dressed as a frogman, then he would have to face his (french) fears. laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters