Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: London 2012 Summer Olympics
St_PatGuy #380946 07/31/12 08:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
I once paddled in a Davy Crockett Explorer Canoe and it was easily the hardest thing I did at Disneyland that day.

I can hear Cam all the way from here, shouting, "You're not helping my argument!!!"

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
tomtuttle #380947 07/31/12 08:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
The chances of a catastrophic failure at the highest level of competition seems much more likely in gymnastics than in any other sport. I mean, there is "faster and slower", but when gymnasts don't perform to their peak, they fall on their faces. Much smaller margin of error between excellence, competence and failure.

Tom, I'm in full agreement with you. The margin of error is minute in gymnastics, but in rowing it's minute, too. Literally all it takes is for one of the eight rowers to shift his/her balance by looking to the side, and it sets the whole boat off. I also think the margin of error is just as small in kayaking, and most, if not all of the "inner grounds" track events like pole vault, javelin etc.

Honestly, rowing is a sport that doesn't get it's due because it's just.....rowing a boat. It was the least appreciated sport in highschool. Students would tease me for being on the team because they didn't think it was challenging. People just don't know how demanding it is because the technical aspects of it aren't in the forefront like they are with gymnastics and other sports. I guarantee that the moment anyone first sat in a single skulls boat you'll tip over into the drink.

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Question - is their another Olympic sport that consistently uses every muscle in your body?

Off the top of my head:

Water Polo
Swimming
Judo
Wrestling
Gymnastics
Kayaking
Pole Vault
High Jump
Long Jump
Triple Jump
Javelin
Discus
Hammer Toss
Shot Put
Hurdles
Volleyball
Basketball
Weightlifting

Rowing is a great and physically grueling sport -- don't get me wrong -- but your extraordinary claim that it is "easily the most difficult sport in the Olympics" requires extraordinary support.

My "extraordinary" opinion doesn't require any support, and neither does BJ1's opinion that gymnastics is the most difficult sport. Notice that I didn't tell him he's wrong, nor did I criticize his belief.

I appreciate all sports and the athletes amazing achievements, but that list just isn't factual. All sports require the use of various muscles at varying times, but very few (BJ1 said swimming, and I could see that being the case with the breaststroke for sure) sports in the Olympics (and in general) demand the entire body for the entirety of the game/event.

Interestingly enough, a lot of sports implement the rowing erg into their training regiment because it's a very tough, rewarding full body workout.

That's my opinion.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
medic8r #380949 07/31/12 08:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
I once paddled in a Davy Crockett Explorer Canoe and it was easily the hardest thing I did at Disneyland that day.

I can hear Cam all the way from here, shouting, "You're not helping my argument!!!"

laugh laugh laugh

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
BlueJays1 #380951 07/31/12 09:00 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Gymnastics I wouldn't have any hope.

I would also have rowing/kayaking bunched together in my top five, along with water polo, the "athlons", I'd kill myself on equestrian (I can bet on horses but riding and jumping through obstacles...no way) and synchronized diving.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Ya_basta #380952 07/31/12 09:09 PM
shareholder in the making
I guarantee that the moment anyone first sat in a single skulls boat you'll tip over into the drink.

This didn't happen when a bunch of IT geeks I work with sat in a skull for the first time. As a matter of fact, not a single boat tipped over the entire time we were out on the water.

BlueJays1 #380953 07/31/12 09:12 PM
Didn't happen on my day, either. Now, the big guys all thought they had to pull as hard as possible, and very few in my boat actually had any rhythm, but we didn't go in the drink. Thank god we didn't, since we were in the Anacostia...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BlueJays1 #380954 07/31/12 09:25 PM
I want to hear more from Sean.... grin

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ken.C #380960 07/31/12 10:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guarantee that the moment anyone first sat in a single skulls boat you'll tip over into the drink.

This didn't happen when a bunch of IT geeks I work with sat in a skull for the first time. As a matter of fact, not a single boat tipped over the entire time we were out on the water.

Peter, there was a group of you, so obviously there was assistance. There was also guidance by a member of the club etc. I was going to specifically state "on your own", and apparently should've. You can't just jump in a single scull and go for a row like you could a canoe. Even members of my crew had a VERY hard time balancing the boat beside the dock (our coach had to hold the boat steady). Most of the guys didn't like it.

Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Didn't happen on my day, either. Now, the big guys all thought they had to pull as hard as possible, and very few in my boat actually had any rhythm, but we didn't go in the drink. Thank god we didn't, since we were in the Anacostia...

Ken, if there were other guys in boat, then it's not a single scull. The more people in the boat (it's actually the more oar blades on the water), the less tippy the boat.

It's awesome to hear that some of you have rowed.

Ya_basta #380962 07/31/12 11:01 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
The chances of a catastrophic failure at the highest level of competition seems much more likely in gymnastics than in any other sport. I mean, there is "faster and slower", but when gymnasts don't perform to their peak, they fall on their faces. Much smaller margin of error between excellence, competence and failure.

Tom, I'm in full agreement with you. The margin of error is minute in gymnastics, but in rowing it's minute, too. Literally all it takes is for one of the eight rowers to shift his/her balance by looking to the side, and it sets the whole boat off. I also think the margin of error is just as small in kayaking, and most, if not all of the "inner grounds" track events like pole vault, javelin etc.

Honestly, rowing is a sport that doesn't get it's due because it's just.....rowing a boat. It was the least appreciated sport in highschool. Students would tease me for being on the team because they didn't think it was challenging. People just don't know how demanding it is because the technical aspects of it aren't in the forefront like they are with gymnastics and other sports. I guarantee that the moment anyone first sat in a single skulls boat you'll tip over into the drink.

Question - is their another Olympic sport that consistently uses every muscle in your body?

Off the top of my head:

Water Polo
Swimming
Judo
Wrestling
Gymnastics
Kayaking
Pole Vault
High Jump
Long Jump
Triple Jump
Javelin
Discus
Hammer Toss
Shot Put
Hurdles
Volleyball
Basketball
Weightlifting

Rowing is a great and physically grueling sport -- don't get me wrong -- but your extraordinary claim that it is "easily the most difficult sport in the Olympics" requires extraordinary support.

My "extraordinary" opinion doesn't require any support, and neither does BJ1's opinion that gymnastics is the most difficult sport. Notice that I didn't tell him he's wrong, nor did I criticize his belief.

I appreciate all sports and the athletes amazing achievements, but that list just isn't factual. All sports require the use of various muscles at varying times, but very few (BJ1 said swimming, and I could see that being the case with the breaststroke for sure) sports in the Olympics (and in general) demand the entire body for the entirety of the game/event.

Interestingly enough, a lot of sports implement the rowing erg into their training regiment because it's a very tough, rewarding full body workout.

That's my opinion.

Water polo would be a sport that would utilize every muscle all at the same time.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #380966 07/31/12 11:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I love watching water polo, it's quite entertaining. The lower and upper body are definitely always in motion. I don't think the torso is used much other than possibly when throwing the ball. In water polo you're mainly treading water, which is done via a kicking motion called the "eggbeater kick" .

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,182 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup