#38306 03/24/04 05:15 AM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
hey guys, still learning, so be nice.

i have to admit that i get down right confused by all the 'features' that are being claimed on all the web-sites for the various receivers.. (DENON, HK, ONKYO, YAMAHA)..my question is...

WHAT FEATURES ARE ESSENTIAL FOR MY NEW HT RECEIVER TO HAVE??

there is dolby digital. dolby digital EX, pro logic II, logic 7, DTS, ES, HDCD, THX, YPAO, etc... i keep seeing the words 'discrete', and 'matrix'.. honestly, my head is spinning so fast, i dont know either to $hit, or get off the pot.. please give me some general guidelines that i need to ENSURE my 'receiver to be' has??

just for reference, i will be purchasing M60's, 150 center, and QS8's.. in my ignorance, i have already purchased a cerwin vega LW-12 sub. i know, bad choice, will fix later, but i got bigger fish to fry now.. my room is essentially a 25x25 square.

as far as the receivers go, i am leaning toward DENON. cause i am a vinyl hound, and the denons are the only one to offer phono hook-ups, with out getting out of my price range.. specifically, the 1804 and 2803.. but am even more confused there, cause the 2803 is $300 bucks more, but looks to have the same functions?? $500-$600 bucks is about my limit.. remember, i still got $1500 in speakers to buy.

thanks for any and all advice.. sorry post so long..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: RECEIVER FUNCTIONS
#38307 03/24/04 05:47 AM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i added a pic.. just wanted to see if it worked..

#38308 03/24/04 06:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I know how overwhelming this all can be, but just keep reading and learning. Slowly, it'll all make some sense to you.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but the Yamaha 1400, and Onkyo 701 both have phono inputs, and can be found in the $600 neighborhood. Almost any of the receivers from the manufacturers you mentioned that fit your budget will have the basic features you'll need, and should include phono inputs.

Dolby Digital, DTS, and THX are the common "discrete" 5.1 formats found on most DVDs, and available on some HDTV broadcasts. Your speaker choice is a 5.1 setup, so your receiver need only be a 5.1 receiver. If you plan on expanding your setup to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup (an additional one or two rear surround speakers), then you might consider getting a receiver that will handle the extra speakers.

Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS-ES discrete 6.1, and THX Surround EX are "discrete" 6.1 format version of their 5.1 cousins, adding a rear surround signal. There aren't a lot of DVDs encoded in these formats..............yet.

This might help you understand the difference between "discrete," and "matrix." (might not.)

DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
With the addition of the surround back channel, this new format has all 6.1 channels recorded independently for a completely discrete digital format. Since all channels are recorded independently, high fidelity surround playback with the increased feeling of a separated sound space is achieved.

DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
This format has the surround back channel matrix encoded and inserted into the left and right surround channels so that at playback the output for the left, right, and back surround channels are decoded using a high-precision matrix decoder.

Dolby Pro Logic and Pro Logic II are systems that synthesize a 5.1 format from a basic stereo signal. DTS Neo:6 does the same only in a 6.1 format. Logic 7 does it in a 7.1 format. Some folks like 'em; some folks don't.

YPAO is a system found in Yamaha receivers that help you calibrate (balance) your speakers. Some on this forum swear by it, some don't. My Onkyo 797 doesn't have anything like it so I calibrate manually with my trusty old radio shack SPL meter and Video Essentials DVD (some use Avia). It's not that difficult.

Hope this gets you started, and hopefully others will chime in with additions and/or corrections.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#38309 03/24/04 06:53 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Welcome to the wonderfull world of Home Theater. All you have to do is decide whether or not you want to be able to listen to your source through a bunch of DSP programing as the Yamaha's have or if you plan on just listening with out a bunch of other decisions needing to be made ie arena sound mix or rock or game etc. All the receivers that you have been looking at would be a great choice some of them just offer more listening options. They all have at least 5.1 dolby available. The YPOA is a speaker equalization system that the receiver does automatically. It is supposed to make it easier to adjust all the speaker levels the same, some say it works great others are saying it works but the speaker settings still needs some tweeking after using it.

I have the Denon 1804 and it works great with M22's, QS8's and VP100. I looked at the 2803 as well but just couldn't justify the extra $, for what appears to be a little better power supply and some electrical parts. Some would say have a listen to all and then decide which one you like best. I'm sure others will offer their advice as well. Hope some of this helps.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
#38310 03/24/04 07:09 AM
veteran
veteran
Just to restate the good information Ajax gave,

'Discrete' encoding means each channel is treated separately. 1 channel, 1 speaker.

'Matrix' processing means that a channel may be played on more than one speaker, or that more than one channel goes on each speaker.

Essentially, there's more 'processing magic' in matrix which is, as I understand it, mostly used to play sound through more speakers than there are channels. I.e. Dolby Pro Logic is a good example of matrix processing, as it takes a 2 channel signal and mixes it for 3 channel output.

Hope this helps- if not, let me know.
Mike

#38311 03/24/04 07:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Looks like you got some great info on the different formats, now I get the fun part of finding some bargains for you.

#1 - if you haven't ordered them already, get your speakers from Axiom's factory outlet. That'll save you 10% right off the top. You'll likely not find a flaw on them.

#2 - Dakmart is an authorized seller of Denon refurbs. You'll get the full factory warantee, and pay a lot less. Their site isn't the best laid out site I've ever seen, but your buying a receiver, not their website.

#3 - Audiogon is an online electronics classifieds site. LOTS of great stuff available here at terrific prices. Pretty much all the stuff is being bought/sold by audiophiles with upgraditus. That means it's not very old, was used with the utmost care, and is only being sold so they can buy the next latest and greatest thing. Their illness is your gain. I bought all my Rotel gear on audiogon and saved hundreds of dollars.

Good luck and have fun!

#38312 03/24/04 08:35 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

All you have to do is decide whether or not you want to be able to listen to your source through a bunch of DSP programing as the Yamaha's have or if you plan on just listening with out a bunch of other decisions needing to be made ie arena sound mix or rock or game etc.

The Yamahas have some great and some pretty um... dorky DSP programs (Concert Hall, Jazz Club, Rock Concert, Disco, Game, Music Video, Mono movie, etc...)

I find I use 6 Channel Stereo for most stereo/mono listening, stereo for other stereo/mono listening when I don't want to hear the center or surrounds and then straight decodes of any of the cinematic stuff.

The phase-rejection algorithm for 6 Channel Stereo is top notch and does a beautiful job though, I have to give them that.

Bren R.

#38313 03/24/04 02:17 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i just want to say thanks to all for the input.. other than buying a car and a house, this will be the most expensive purchase i have made in 10 years(the whole HT system).. so you can understand my hesitation.

i am beginning to see that almost ALL of the receivers have basically the same functions, but certain brands have 'special' bells and whistles to make claim that they are the best..

i will check closer into the yamaha and onkyo brands for phono ability.. i was very disappointed that the HK's did not have.. that is essential to me.

spiff- thanks for the 'bargain hunter' sites.. saving a few dimes always helps.. especially with a baby on the way.. not trying to hijack my own thread, but i am in a similar situation as one other guy posting.. trying to convince my wife that i NEED this system, while trying to reason it with an august 13th due date..

my research will continue, thanks again.. and two thumbs up to whatfurrer, who has graciously allowed me to come audition his axioms.. now all i have to do is get to austin to hear them.. dont worry furrer, i am coming..

and this is just the first of many posts from me with HT questions.. once i get all the stuff in my living room, i know i will have a hundred or so set-up questions..

bigjohn

#38314 03/24/04 02:55 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
John, here is a link from the Denon site that gives you an in depth compare of the 1804 and 2803. The main differences are :
1) The 2803 is 7 channel, 1804 is 6.
2) 2803 has "better" sound processing elctronics.
3) 2803 has more inputs
4) 2803 has better/more crossover flexibility
5) Main difference is that the 2803 is a pre/pro if you want to add a separate amp later.

tomtuttle drives his setup with an 1804 and is pleased with it. I have M60/VP100/Qs8 with an SVS sub and was driving all of it with an 1803 and that was more than adequate (just found an absolute steal on a 3803 and upgraded ). An 1804 ought to be perfect for you.

#38315 03/24/04 03:27 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
ray,

i think i agree with you totally there.. as far as the comparisons..

1. 5.1 will be fine, i dont think the wife will allow 2 more rear speaker anyway..
2. i will only have 3, maybe 4 inputs..
3. crossover on the 1804 goes down to 80hz, alan never really suggests anything much lower than that.
4. as far as 'better' processing electronics, i honestly dont think i have the 'ear' to tell that much of a difference.. going from nothing(what i have now), to awesome(what i will be getting), i think 1804 will be just fine.

i am still gonna check out the onkyo and yamaha with phono inputs, but i am almost completely sold on the denon.. i think now, it just basically comes down to price.

thanks again, and anymore input from DENON owners is appreciated..

bigjohn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup