Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: RECEIVER FUNCTIONS
#38316 03/24/04 05:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree that 5.1 would be fine, but of that list of differences, the bass management limitations of the 1804 concerns me just a little. Yeah, 80hz is the usual "standard", but you're getting the M60ti towers, right? I cross mine over at 60hz usually, sometimes I've been known to lower it as far as 40hz when listening to music. You can get a 2804 from Dakmart for about $200 under msrp.

As far as getting the system with a little one on the way, I say get it now. Once that little guy (gal) arrives your priorities will be changed forever and you'll likely never be able to justify this type of expense again. (Not to your wife or yourself!)

Congrats on the new system, and especially on the new family member.

#38317 03/24/04 06:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with Craig on the crossover. My Onkyo is fixed at 80Hz which, fortunately, is an acceptable crossover point. However, if I ever "upgrade" my receiver, I will definitely get one with a variable crossover.

(LOL "IF, I ever upgrade......" Of course I mean "WHEN.")

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#38318 03/25/04 12:24 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
BigJohn, I have a Denon 1802 to drive my M60s, QS8s and VP150. It works great. I'm sure you will be happy with the 1804. And like me, if you don't have the 2803 or 3803 (or whatever the models are), you won't know what you are missing. I'm still so blown away with the sound of the speakers, it's hard to imagine it getting much better.

I hate reading Ray's comments about the 3803, because I start to get a little upgrade itch and it's hard to resist.

John

#38319 03/29/04 03:25 AM
T
hobbyist
hobbyist
T
BigJohn,

Congrats on the soon-to-be-parenthood. Is this your first? My wife and I are expecting our first in Sept. and we're your typical new-parent-to-be simultaneous combo of psyched and slightly freaked out. Actually, that's just me; my wife is that new-mom-to-be combo of psyched and nauseous.

Anyhoo...receivers, right. I just got a Denon 2803 about a month or so ago and I'm loving it. I was also considering the Yamaha 1400 and the Marantz SR5400. Lack of phono-in killed the marantz; and some (admittedly apocryphal) accounts of Yamaha over-stating their power specs led me to the Denon. I also briefly considered the 1804, which I understood to have the same power/channel as the 2803, just fewer channels. I figured 7.1 would be more useful down the road (the rears can be used as a separate zone, whereas a single rear center can only be a rear center, right?) For me, it was one of those "are you really going to miss the extra $$$ a year or two or five from now?" arguments.

I'm totally with you on the eye-crossing effect of sound-processing alphabet soup. I think the good news is that pretty much all the receivers at this level are going to have the basics covered, and add in a few proprietary DSP modes. The 2803 seems to know what it's doing when I play a movie (Dobly Digital, nothing w/ DTS yet). Otherwise I go back and forth between Direct and 5-channel stereo. I might fool with the DSPs at some point, but they weren't really a deal-breaker one way or the other.

HTH,

Roger

#38320 03/29/04 03:32 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
bigjohn - what did you finally decide? We're all on the edge of our seats waiting.

#38321 03/29/04 06:20 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
John - I'm in Arlington - if you feel like auditioning before buying, please send me an email.

#38322 03/29/04 07:57 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
well ray, thats a good question. i have been doing some investigation into the Onkyo 701, and have expanded my choices.

i found the 701 online for $439, which seems exceptional when looking at its features.it is equivalent to, and even exceeds some features on the Denon 2802 and 3803.. so there in lies my new challenge. direct comparisons between those. the 3803 is actually out of my total budget, so that will make the selection a little easier.

if anyone has any input on the Onkyo line of products, please express them here. most of the talk in here is of HK, Yamaha, and Denon.. very little on Onkyo.. i would appreciate any info.

shrubber- this will be my second child. we have a 6 yr old son. i am hoping for a girl this time.. we wont find out the sex until may.. due date is aug 13th. good luck with your pregnancy.

arlington- i appreciate your offer. i still have a few reservations about purchasing a speaker that i have never even heard.. but all ya'll cant be wrong.. i dont know the next time i will be in the metroplex, but i will definitely keep your name in mind. thanks..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#38323 03/29/04 08:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow! $439 DOES sound like a good price for the 701. I don't know what to tell you about my Onkyo TX-DS797. I've had it a couple of years now and haven't had a problem. In another thread they're talking about Onkyos running hot, but I haven't noticed mine being inordinately hot, and I only have about 2" clearance above the receiver. Of course, I don't push it real hard (listen at loud volume for long periods of time), so that might be a factor.

As I mentioned above, my 797 has a fixed crossover point at 80Hz for the subwoofer. I do wish it was a variable crossover. I just went to the Onkyo web site and took a look at the manual for the 701. It has a selectable crossover, with points at 40,60,80,100,120, and 150 Hz. That gives one some options.

I'm very pleased with mine. I know Chesseroo has a 797 also. Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts.

Jack

#38324 03/29/04 08:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have the Onkyo 601 John and it's doing a great job for me with my m22s, vp150, and qs8s. Audioholics has a review of the 601 with axiom speakers here.

Some say that Onkyo's run hot, but I have not noticed any problems with mine and it has not cut out. Also, that price for the 701 is really good. Good enough that I would wonder if the dealer is legit and what the warranty would be. If it's all legit I'd go for it (though I just got my 601 in December so no upgrading that for a while).

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#38325 03/29/04 08:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
John, where did you find the 701 at that price? James has a point about the warranty. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, Onkyo will not honor the warranty. I've heard others say that they will, but I can't tell you if that's an accurate statement. I took the chance and bought mine from an unauthorized dealer (I'm poor), and have been lucky enough not to have any problems whatsoever. I don't think it's a HUGE gamble. Electronics from a reputable manufacturer are most likely to be just fine. But the possibility exists that you could get a lemon. Therein lies the gamble.

Also, at that price it might be a refurb (factory refurbished unit). I own an Onkyo refurbed CD/DVD changer, and have had zero problems with it. If money is tight and, again, the manufacturer is a reputable one, it's even less of a gamble to buy a refurb than it is to buy from an unauthorized dealer. If refurbed by the manufacturer, the refurb comes with a warranty the manufacturer WILL honor.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Jack

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup