Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Axiom Subwoofers: Survey and Next Generation
CatBrat #393675 06/03/13 03:11 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I would prefer a way to adjust the sub's volume (cringe), that doesn't involve a knob on the backside, which is usually shoved up against something. Say, maybe on a side, with a knob that doesn't stick out far, like maybe a flush mount you'd turn with your thumb.

I would agree with the idea that the controls would be preferable on the front rather than the back(I have a couple of old Yamahas in the house and they have always had that feature) but it just seems for years now the vast majority of sub manufacturers have chosen not to utilize this style of amp they build or purchase for their sub designs.

I personally, would want to carry it a step or two further in that, although probably more costly, there has been a few manufacturers that have remotes with "digital adjustment" of all parameters which, of course, rather than constantly having to get up and down, has the advantage of one being able to sit in the "sweet spot" to make all the adjustments. Also, because once adjustments are made the controls will probably never be touched again for awhile so with any manual(knob) unused control and as anyone here probably has experienced with older equipment that has been sitting around for awhile, dirt can potentially accumulate in the switch causing static and at times, eventually making it unusable.

Last edited by casey01; 06/03/13 03:12 PM.
casey01 #393817 06/07/13 02:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: casey01
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I would prefer a way to adjust the sub's volume (cringe), that doesn't involve a knob on the backside, which is usually shoved up against something. Say, maybe on a side, with a knob that doesn't stick out far, like maybe a flush mount you'd turn with your thumb.

I would agree with the idea that the controls would be preferable on the front rather than the back(I have a couple of old Yamahas in the house and they have always had that feature) but it just seems for years now the vast majority of sub manufacturers have chosen not to utilize this style of amp they build or purchase for their sub designs.

I personally, would want to carry it a step or two further in that, although probably more costly, there has been a few manufacturers that have remotes with "digital adjustment" of all parameters which, of course, rather than constantly having to get up and down, has the advantage of one being able to sit in the "sweet spot" to make all the adjustments. Also, because once adjustments are made the controls will probably never be touched again for awhile so with any manual(knob) unused control and as anyone here probably has experienced with older equipment that has been sitting around for awhile, dirt can potentially accumulate in the switch causing static and at times, eventually making it unusable.

I have a Nad processor that has a "volume" adjust for the sub. However, i also have a different processor that does not have this same "volume" adjust. It would be nice to be able to adjust the volume of the sub from the remote.. However, i suppose this could be problematic if you have muptiple subs, and not all of them get the infared signale... But, i suppose this is where the RF spectrum comes into play...

I would pay extra for this option.. But that's just me, and i seem to buy quite alot of stuff Ian and andrew come up with.....gr...

Andrew #393819 06/07/13 04:36 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I like the dedicated remote idea.
Multiple sub controll from any seat in the house.
FWIW I found a nice method for adjusting my subs.
After my last adjustment rant I put on bass heavy tunes, rolled my subs forward, listened, waited. Each sub got adjusted to be just perceptable while I was hudled over them, essentially matching the M80 (+1) next to it.
Now I have all the sub I thought I was missing.
Its a bit messed up, I had to turn them down to reach their current settings.

Last edited by brwsaw; 06/07/13 04:41 AM.

Andrew #395910 08/08/13 11:45 AM
buff
buff
Velodyne DD-15

Frequency/Phase was set using their setup mechanism (it ships with the microphone and there's a video out to see the curves etc.).

Level is likely around 1/3 most of the time. The remote allows different level sets based on what you're listening to. 1/3-1/2 is all we need for the room it's in. It's overkill but I got it for a killer price. The neighbours don't like it higher than that... pops the plaster off their drywall screws ;-)

XLR connected to an Anthem AVM-50 [equivalent... upgraded the guts].

Mains are Totem Forest.

Crossover at 80Hz.

Am not using a trigger on the sub as it senses input and auto powers. If that didn't exist, I would use a trigger.

Andrew #395927 08/08/13 04:58 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I use Velo's remote to turn ON/OFF each sub & to make any other adjustments individually. Both subs are up front & are separated by about 8 feet; however, I just point the remote directly at each sub & the other one doesn't see the remote signal.

I have to do everything twice but that's no big deal...

TAM

Andrew #399032 12/03/13 01:58 AM
A
regular
regular
A
Andrew,

A few easy questions:

1) Ball park... when will the next generation of subs be available (V4 I'm assuming)?
2) What are the basic improvements?
3)Will there be a trade-in (or upgrade) program for us V3 owners?
4) Any plans for a high performance sealed sub in a reasonable size?

Thanks

Andrew #399045 12/03/13 02:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I doubt if this type of info would be available until Axiom is ready/close to release the new product.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Andrew #399064 12/03/13 05:44 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Agree. I don't think those are "easy questions". Those are very specific questions about potential future products/policies.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
AudioguyBurl #403428 04/22/14 01:38 AM
A
regular
regular
A
Originally Posted By: AudioguyBurl
Andrew,

A few easy questions:

1) Ball park... when will the next generation of subs be available (V4 I'm assuming)?
2) What are the basic improvements?
3)Will there be a trade-in (or upgrade) program for us V3 owners?
4) Any plans for a high performance sealed sub in a reasonable size?

Thanks

I knew these questions were easy! smile

Andrew #408696 12/10/14 09:05 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I happened to notice in the online A/V publication "Canada HiFi" today(Dec. 10/2014) that Bryston is introducing a new "bipolar" subwoofer at the CES show in January/2015. It has a very distinctive Axiom influence in its external design, especially the amplifier on the rear of the cabinet. Any indication of such a design forthcoming from Axiom itself?

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup