Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Christmas Ideas for Vinyl Lovers
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #400322 01/24/14 11:53 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
This is one of the most essential, and many periods neglected, factors of creating turn table. I'm not a fan of the cross-point or round stages as they are not very precise.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #400325 01/24/14 02:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
For a year or so I've been using an old Technics turn table to play some old vinyl we dug up from Sharon's Mom's house and a few of my old ones I found. Nothing was well taken care of though so most are so scratchy that I haven't bothered to replace the old cartridge.

I have to say, I forgot how annoying the noise on vinyl can be. I should probably pick up a new LP or one in pristine condition just to experiment but so far, the experience has not inspired me to spend money on new media.

Not dissing the vinyl lovers. I haven't given it a fair shake. Just throwing in my nickel. Can't do 2 cents anymore.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #400336 01/24/14 10:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Murph , I am one of them there vinyl lovers wink old habits die hard . Something I don't believe people consider when talking about vinyl playback is that in the days of analogue the equipment was everything. Playing a crappy record on a crappy TT is not going to give a wonderfull experience. I was lucky and grew up in a house where high fidelity was a passion of my dads. He bought good equipment (not the likes of NAD) but it was not Lloyds either. 35yrs ago I bought my first amp and TT ,speakers,equalizer etc bit by bit. Pioneer PL 630 TT, SA7800 amp all damn expensive stuff and I still own all of it to this day. About 90% of my records are pristine and other than a little noise on the lead in they are very quiet. I now have a Music Hall TT with ortofon cartridge and a Project phono preamp that I paid 750 bux for , and I would not trade it for anything. One thing I don't do when listening to an LP is skip songs , which I do a lot with digital. When I sit down and listen to an LP I play both sides . Playing an album is a tactile event, to lovingly cleaning the record and the stylus before each play,look at the album cover and read the liner notes, it is all part of the experience and its just not for everyone , but for me its how I like to unwind some days, just getting back to basics.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #400392 01/27/14 01:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for sharing Richard. I hear ya. I'm a bit the same with my woodworking. I'll spend wayyy to much time vs. practicality (and sometimes wasted wood) on trying to perfect more complicated joinery so I can avoid nails or screws. A bit old fashioned but I feel much more satisfied in the end. I spent about 2.5 hours Sunday making a jig to help me make rabbet joints on thinner stock and that's not even a tough one. (Before Mark criticizes, the stock was too thin for locking rabbet joints.)

Strangely though, I'm the opposite with most music. One of the greatest things I've come to love about a digitized music collection is the ability to put my entire library on random.

The exception would be some classical. Perhaps it's because I'm still learning a lot about the genre but experiencing a symphony seems best from start to finish. The same could be said for rock/pop 'concept' albums, of course, but also I would never complain if "Comfortably Numb" sneaks it's way into into my random playlist.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #400984 02/13/14 03:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, I see you've all got most vinyl covered, but if you need Xmas gift ideas for lovers of rubber or latex, jus' lemme know. There's a whole 'nother side to vinyl you may be overlooking.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #401457 02/27/14 08:58 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Couldn't you just keep the history, damage you on the rug, then put up and contact someone with it. Cost is transferred and you get some fun out of it.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #406042 07/10/14 09:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I just got back from the digital abyss... there was something I never liked about CDs, and after my good audio gear went away (long story) I found myself listening to music less and less, and hardly at all over the last couple of years.

Last night something snapped so I ripped a bunch of furniture out of the living room and cleared space for speakers and a decent listening area. Before that the stereo system had been in what was basically the dining room, with the acoustics you might expect.

Sound was much better in the larger space (I remember being really impressed with how good speakers sounded in jakeman's living room with the high cathedral ceiling) but still didn't sound right. Thought it might be time to get back into vinyl so looked around for decent used equipment like I had previously and found less than I expected. Maybe 30 years was too long to wait.

Anyways, went out today and picked up a Debut Carbon turntable and started digging through the 500-odd LPs I managed to hang onto.

Maybe it's the ritual, or placebo effect, or less compressed masters, or maybe I got used to a particular kind of sound, but I'm enjoying music from vinyl *much* more than from digital (at least from CDs, haven't experimented with anything higher res than CD if it exists).

The Christmas list and the recommendations that followed are going to be very handy, thanks !!!

EDIT - it is going to take a while to get used to having to turn the record over every 20 minutes or so wink

Last edited by bridgman; 07/10/14 10:02 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #406045 07/10/14 10:32 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Welcome back! One of us..... ONE OF US.......!

I always LIKED flipping the record over. It was the surface noise that gets to me!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #406049 07/10/14 11:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
... and no matter what album you play, at the end it always sounds like Dark Side of the Moon.

Thump-bump.... thump-bump.... thump-bump...

Half of my CDs were LP rips so they had surface noise anyways.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/10/14 11:10 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #406051 07/10/14 11:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had the same kind of snap a couple years ago. With digital music I jump from song to song and group to group. With the LP I listen to all songs on both sides, consiequently I am hearing a lot of song for the first time. Playing LP's for me is a sit down and listen activity so flippin the gooves is no biggy, but when I am doing something digital is more convenient.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020