Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Is ANYBODY streaming music through their AVR?
tomtuttle #413020 06/25/15 05:38 AM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Great idea, Murph!

I will take a look.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #413047 06/26/15 04:32 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
I have all my music (flac) on a cheap NAS, the NAS is running a DLNA server (which comes with the NAS), my receiver is network/DLNA capable - so I just press 'Net' on the receiver and choose the artist/album. I love this setup and haven't loaded a CD is years.

(DLNA can be a headache with video, but it works seamlessly with music. I attribute that to low bandwidth requirements and fewer format variations.)

tomtuttle #413051 06/26/15 07:24 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
What kind of receiver are you using, Cork?

And are you controlling playback from the receiver's remote or some other mobile device?

Do you have to have your display (TV) on in order to navigate your music collection successfully?

Murph #413066 06/27/15 04:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Murph
Inspired to look around by the AxiomAir, here is another DIY streaming project for someone who has been looking for a reason to fiddle with a Raspberry Pi
Rasberry Fi

I haven't tried it but it sounds promising.
- Access to media on USB drives or NAS
- a good choice of compatible remote control apps.

For less than $50 to get a computer that runs on free software, I've been looking for a reason to by a Raspberry Pi. This Fi OS just might be it.

Add a USB DAC for those who feel the need.

Hey Murph. Have you looked any further into this? I'm looking for a simple inexpensive way to replace my livingroom PC to send music to my aging AVR. It looks like the project supports spdif out and I think this is the easiest way to stream to my AVR. Don't really feel the need for a fancy DAC.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
tomtuttle #413075 06/28/15 12:41 AM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
I've been looking at this a bit this week. It appears that the RaspyFi partners had a bit of a falling out and now there are two, similar projects - Volumio and RuneAudio. All of those guys seem to be pretty fixated on Fidelity, with quite a lot of attention to I2S boards and DACS that cost as much or more than the Raspberry Pi itself. I haven't really seen the web control interface, which is really the key element for me.

I'm also looking at various forms of and platforms for Kodi, which is the new name for XBMC. I really need the audio only thing, though.

The other thing I've been fiddling with is Roku, Plex server and rarflex. But I really want a solution that doesn't require me to use a display like a TV to control the music stream.

I'm starting to think that the approach Murph suggested is the way to go, but I'm a little nervous about how geeky it is. And I'm going to have some money into the hardware by the time I get the Board, DAC, power supply, case and whatnot. I'm not convinced that the headphone jack from the Pi is going to be good enough, and I have my own reasons for not wanting to use the HDMI.

tomtuttle #413148 07/01/15 02:23 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
Originally Posted By tomtuttle
What kind of receiver are you using, Cork?

And are you controlling playback from the receiver's remote or some other mobile device?

Do you have to have your display (TV) on in order to navigate your music collection successfully?

Sorry tt, I don't visit the forum regularly.

My receiver is the RX-V673. I usually use the receiver's remote, but I've used my Logitech universal on occasion.

I keep my TV on because it's the easiest, but the receiver has 2 or 3 lines you can use to select a song. It would be hard to browse, but you could select something if you knew where it was.

There are a few tablet apps (for Apple, Google, and Amazon devices). Now that you mention it I'll give the Google one a try; with any luck I'll have time tonight.

By the way, I've also used a Roku3 to get to the music. And that's easy to set up also. There are tablet mirroring apps for the Roku too.

I have to add, I think using the heavy-weight 3rd party apps, like Kodi, are overkill for music. If you were also streaming video then sure, but you can get a cheap 1 or 2 drive NAS and be streaming in a flash. A single drive would give you plenty of room for music, but I like using the NAS in redundancy mode so I have a shot at catching a disk failure. (I don't back anything up because if on the off chance both drives fail, I still have all my CDs.)

Last edited by Cork; 07/01/15 02:25 PM.
tomtuttle #413149 07/01/15 03:36 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Thanks, Cork.

I would be interested in your opinion of the mobile apps. The ability to control music without having the main display turned on has become one of my requirements.

I played with my Roku 2XD. It also fails that test, but did provide some interesting learning. I found that Roku Media Player was completely incapable of dealing with a large library, whether presented by DLNA or Plex. I didn't feel like buying the Plex app because of the other shortcomings of this approach, but was able to get proof of concept through Rarplex. The other Roku problem is absence of analog output, so I would still be using some kind of external DAC.

What I've done as a short term solution is revitalize my Squeezebox. While Murph told me years ago about ipeng and other third party apps, I was so fixated on my network problems that I completely neglected the possibility that the native Squeezebox app might be the culprit. Sure enough, I switched to a free third party app called Squeezer, and seem to have mitigated the general flakiness that was driving me crazy. If Squeezer doesn't pan out, there appear to be other alternatives.

I think you are correct that Kodi and other full service streaming clients are overkill and unnecessarily complex for my needs given the ways in which we currently consume video.

Long term, I think that the work being done by Axiom, Volumio and Rune Audio is the way to go, especially on the Pi platform. Thanks to Fred for pushing that into our collective consciousness. But the hardware doesn't seem completely mature or settled. Some people are using very expensive external USB DACS, which seems nutty to me. There are a few I2S Pi audio boards, but they aren't exactly free, and you still seem to be hacking around quite a bit, with varying opinions.

I am smitten with the cubox-i, but a $160 box with uncertain analog capabilities is clearly not a fully baked solution even if it is an adorable 2 inch square pc.

I really appreciate everyone's interest and support. Except Mark.

Last edited by tomtuttle; 07/01/15 03:40 PM.

tomtuttle #413150 07/01/15 03:44 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Crap.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
tomtuttle #413151 07/01/15 03:57 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Tom. where is your music stored?

I have been using a Synology NAS for the past 3 years and simply just love it. they are more expensive but I think you get what you pay for.

They have a web based app called DSAudio that will stream to a DLNA device direct from the NAS. there is also an android and ios app that has a great user interface. Will stream as a WAV so it can feed out full uncompressed audio if your dlna device doesn't support flac, but it also can transcode to many other formats.

I started off with a 2 drive DS209 NAS and it still works great.. I use it for my Apple Timemachine. I have since upgraded to a 4 drive and now an 8 drive with 22TB of fully redundant drive capacity. Should hold me for a few years.

There are so many ways to skin the so called cat, all with the plus and minuses.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
tomtuttle #413152 07/01/15 05:37 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Yeah, Mark, "Thanks" laugh

Matt, my music is on shared Windows folders on an old Vista machine that just runs all the time. I've successfully run Plex server and Tversity on it to get a DLNA feed. The Squeezebox uses Logitech Media Server referencing those same directories.

I don't understand what you mean by "stream to a DLNA device direct from the NAS". So, what kind of device are you using? AKA what is actually hooked up to the pre-amp/receiver that you are controlling with DSAudio? I'm sorry for the dumb question, but I just don't get it.

I've thought about buying a proper NAS device (and Synology does seem to be the cream of the crop), but my current solution is "free" or at least sunk cost. So, when this machine inevitably craters, I'll hopefully do something the right way, then.

Really appreciate the tip about DSAudio, and I'm going to go check it out.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020