Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27
Re: So what are you reading tonight?
Murph #389844 02/18/13 07:48 PM
devotee
devotee
I've recently completed the Steve Jobs bio, and that of Mick Jagger. I've begun reading Keith Richards', and Springteen's is on deck after that.

As a pre-teen, the father of one of my friends was a sales manager for a magazine distributor, and once every couple of weeks or so he would bring home damaged comics. Ripped covers was enough to qualify. So my buddy and I would tackle a two foot tall stack of new comics pretty regularly. We read everything: DC, Marvel, even Disney stuff published by Gold Key, iirc.

In the end I found that I generally preferred the DC characters and stories. It was probably an age thing. I found the Marvel stuff more complex and often darker. These days, I'd probably prefer that. And if my interpretation is correct, it seems like that's how the market has gone of late anyway.

It disappoints me a little that my 13 yo son couldn't care less to read comics, though he goes through novels like a demon and has for years. We got him a Kindle for Christmas, and he loves it. Can I get him to read a comic or two on it? No....

CV #389845 02/18/13 08:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I always preferred the Rocky and Bulwinkle comics myself.

CatBrat #389930 02/21/13 06:06 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Keith Richards book is really good. Even if you are not a fan of the Rolling Stones you will appreciate the history.

CV #390036 02/23/13 06:49 PM
old hand
old hand
I have just finished the Passage series by Justin Cronin and Unbroken: A WW 11 story of Survival,Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. Wow! that's a long title. It took a while but now I have a Kindle, getting it reminds me of the how thrilled I was with my first remote! There's no turning back now.

Being a dude who remembers the time of no TV and for that matter no rock music, I started very young reading books and listening to radio shows thus creating movies in my head. I continue to this day creating the head movies! grin

M80s VP180 QS8
SVS Elevation Spk.
SVS PC13 Ultrax2
Anthem 1120,Oppo 205
ADA Amp
LG OLED 65"

radtek2 #390140 02/25/13 01:40 AM
shareholder in the making
Just finished John Scalzi's The God Engines on the plane today (from OKC to IAD). It was a quick read and pretty interesting, if you're into religiously-themes sci-fi. smile

pmbuko #390220 02/26/13 07:11 AM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
OP Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I finally finished A Memory of Light last night. I enjoyed it, even if some stuff just sort of happened, rather than drawing me in. There were still enough moments to make me feel good about having read the series.

CV #390225 02/26/13 12:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Charles is the Winner!!!!
I haven't started it yet. My latest, probably brief but admittedly infatuated, phase into a return to comic books has interrupted my book reading. I still have 1 book left from my wife's Christmas presents that I must read first to retain good favor, then it's on to the Memory of Light.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CV #393796 06/06/13 03:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK If you ever played D&D, video games, your a film, TV or music buff or just generally grew up in the 80s, YOU HAVE TO READ Ready Player One by Earnest Cline.

If you haven't discovered it yet, it's about the near future where the entire world spends much of their time on the next evolution of the Internet. A 3D virtual universe called Oasis where people game but also go to school, conduct commerce, etc.

The eccentric, billionaire creator dies and in his will he leaves his entire fortune and control of Oasis to any player who can find his hidden Easter Egg. The entire world becomes obsessed with the hunt and because the creator was obsessed with 80s nostalgia (you can travel to entire planets modeled after everything from Middle Earth to Bladerunner), everything 80s from music, games, movies etc. becomes all the rage again because the clues require that you know absolutely everything about everything 80s. Entire corporations form just to try and win the prize so they can control and monetize Oasis, ie "the badguys".

The story itself is great, the concept is pretty cool and if you are even remotely close to my age in body or spirit, you will be blasted with a lot of fun nostalgia that you probably forgot about.

I haven't had so much simple fun reading a book in a long time.

P.S.
MARK!!!
Did I mention that there is huge battle where somebody in the virtual universe gains the ability to turn into a skyscraper tall Ultraman!!

Murph #396136 08/17/13 03:15 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Jimmy Page Light & Shade. Very interesting read for Led Zep fans and musicians.
Also A Game of Thrones which took a while to get into however really enjoying the story.

CV #397712 10/09/13 01:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I may take heat for this but it needs to be said....

So I came across an article saying that George Lucas sold the rights to his original Star Wars screenplay to Marvel and that they were doing it up in a comic series. I figured, "That should be interesting."

I don't think I have ever brought myself down to the level of using this acronym before but OMFG!!!!
It was soooooo terrible!!!! I'm only two books in and it is, by a very far stretch, the worst thing I have ever read in my life and in any possible media.

The story line is very different. That's OK. Characters with recognizable names are no where near who they are in the film (Luke is an established general with a beard.) That's OK. All the differences in itself are OK. Original drafts are often very different than the resulting movie. I was expecting that.

However, the story is so fragmented, so NOT interesting, there is no character development PERIOD, no plot development, stuff just happens out of the blue, It's just so SO BAD!

When The Phantom Menace came out, I wondered if George Lucas lost it. His storytelling ability, anyways. When Attack of the Clones came out, I actually hoped he would sell the rights to the third movie.

Now, I don't think he lost it. I think maybe ' he never had it'. It makes me very suspicious that when he brought the screenplay to the Universal Studios, it went something like this. "We can definitely make a movie out of Light Sabers, what a great idea. However, you have to agree to let our screen writers completely change your story...... cause you don't have one!"

Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters