Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need recommendation for decent inexpensive mic ...
#390010 02/22/13 11:24 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
and mixing software??

My daughter wants to play with laying down some violin tracks and overlaying them.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Re: Need recommendation for decent inexpensive mic ...
fredk #390011 02/22/13 11:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
fredk #390012 02/22/13 11:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have the Rode NT1-A mic, it's really good for the price. You'll need an audio interface with phantom power, though.

The audio software I use is Reason by Propellerheads. They have an audio interface, Balance (it does phantom power), that comes with an "Essentials"-only version of their software. That version doesn't have all the features, but it does record audio tracks just fine.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
fredk #390013 02/22/13 11:37 PM
devotee
devotee
There's not too much that you can't do as relates to audio recording and manipulation with the free Audacity software.

No info on a good mic though. I don't think that you'd need to spend a lot for a decent one. The price/value ratio increased greatly of late, imo, because of the demand from podcast producers.

fredk #390016 02/23/13 12:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I am using Audacity to transfer my reel to reel and cassette tapes to my computer. It takes a little learning, but, so far, I love it.

For $99, you can't go wrong with the Shure SM58. But if you can go up to $129 you can get a mike more suited for the violin.

Small-Diaphram Cardiod mics on a budget:

Audio-Technica PRO 37 : This is a nice little mic and cheap, cheap, cheap. I bought mine for $99 (it’s a great live fiddle mic, and it’s super small, so I can keep it in my fiddle case and always have it on hand). Can be a little on the bright side, so some EQ might be necessary, but you could spend a lot more and get a lot less.

M-Audio Pulsar II: A good, neutral-sounding SDC in the same price range as the Pro 37.

Beyerdynamic MC903: This has a reputation for being the poor feller’s KM84, though it seems a little warmer, less bright than the Neumann KM84. Depending on the fiddle, I usually prefer it to the 84. Quality build, excellent sound.

Mic technique:

Finally, a word on where to put the mic. In the studio, fiddle players tend to go with an overhead mic positioned about 8-10 inches from the instrument. Beyond that point, use your ears. Some mics sound better right over the bow, others are better down the fingerboard. Some mics sound better on axis, others are better off axis. Sometimes it depends on the song.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #390026 02/23/13 05:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ajax
I am using Audacity to transfer my reel to reel and cassette tapes to my computer. It takes a little learning, but, so far, I love it.

...so some EQ might be necessary, but you could spend a lot more and get a lot less.

Beyerdynamic MC903: This has a reputation for being the poor feller’s KM84, though it seems a little warmer, less bright than the Neumann KM84.

Yeah, you can use Audacity to do a lot of things. But once you use a program actually designed for musicians, and not computer programmers (and this is coming from a computer guy), you'll never want to touch that thing again. It's horribly obtuse to get anything done that you'd actually want when just trying to jam, and get a recording of it.

As for mics with less than linear response, as long as the noise floor is low enough, you can totally change the character with an EQ. So don't worry about "bright" or "dull" in reviews, all you need to do it throw a parametric EQ on insert effect chain, and voila (not viola).

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #390072 02/24/13 05:22 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Lots of replys. Thanks.

Jack. I thought you might know a teeny bit about this subject. smile

Hmm. Questions, questions...

With these mics I'm going to need phantom power xlr cable(s) and a way to plug into a computer? That's gonna add up for just foolin around.

Is there a reasonable USB type solution here?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #390077 02/24/13 10:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There are mics that have a USB cable, are their own sound card*, and pull the phantom power from there. But I've never seen one that was really recommended for recording instruments. They are all targeted at podcasters, and recording speaking voice.

Yeah, a USB mic can get you started for cheap, but expect to throw it away if you want to progress any further than recording a single track without monitoring.

*There's another problem with this, USB mics are a soundcard with just an input and no output. This is fine for Windows sounds, but if you end up using a more professional piece of audio software, it is highly recommended that all the inputs, and outputs are on the same interface. The biggest problem is latency for monitoring. If the audio is going into the mic's interface, being processed by the computer, and re-output from another interface, there's no way to minimize the round trip time (professional audio interfaces have local monitoring, that sidesteps the computer completely), and what you hear in the monitors (headphones) is delayed enough that it makes it difficult to play/sing correctly. The other less noticeable problem is clock skew, but that only really applies to combining the input from multiple interfaces into one recording.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #390079 02/24/13 12:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
For a USB solution, direct to your computer, you might try one of the Samson Mics. I have the Go Mic and it does a pretty good job with voices. Don't know how it would do with violin.

If one of these catches your eye, do a google search for that specific mic and try to find user reviews. They can be helpful.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #390080 02/24/13 12:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh, wow, some of those Samsons have actual actual interfaces, and monitoring capabilities. I didn't know that USB mics had progressed in that way. Seems the complaints that I had, have been answered.

Jack, does that Go Mic let you listen to playback through the headphone jack?

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452