Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Boy, do I need some advice!
#39502 04/02/04 03:10 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hey folks! I really appreciate all the great advice and I'm taking it! This will require a lot of trial and error and patience on my part and it will take time to sort everything out. This is, after all, my first new change to the system in five years and I am very used to what I had.

Everyone is so used to "instant gratificaion" these days and I guess I am no different :(.

Of course, the one thing I haven't really focused on in my evaluation is the cheapest part of my system: my ears!! When I wouldn't pay attention to her, my mother used to advise me to "get the wax out of your ears"! Basically, I think I need to be more aware of what I'm listening to, when and where.

As to the M22's vs the M3's, I got some good advice from the tech people at Axiom. This included telling me that the M3's were a bit stronger in the area of bass. So, I guess I have to figure out what type of sound I'm looking for.

In the interim, guys, please keep those cards and letters coming! I'm climbing that learning curve!

#39503 04/02/04 05:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi pewterman

What kind of music are you using to compare the M3s with the Yammies? May I also ask what you are using for a source?

I'm not familiar with the Sony you're using, but contrary to the opinion held by many here, I believe that choice of receivers/amps make a big difference. I used a pair of M3s with a 5 watt per channel tube amp and these M3s simply astonished me by how well they reproduce music. I still remember listening to Getz/Jobim on the M3s for the first time - no speakers I ever had in my house previously reproduced the sound of Stan's horn as well as these little M3s. Female vocals like Astrid or Loreena McKennett were so real sounding. I dumped a pair of $3000 Infinity Composition Overture 3s because they were inferior to the M3s. The M3s were not perfect in my system. They lacked a little something in the upper mids, but I think that's what separates a $250 speaker from a $2500 pair like the Reference 3a deCapo mm's. I found that the M3s were very easy to integrate with a subwoofer and all in all was stunned by their goodness.

I have also listened to music on these same speakers driven by a Yamaha HT receiver and did not find the combination quite as pleasant as the tube/m3 combination that I enjoyed so much.

BTW, the M3s are pretty efficient. I think they're rated at 89db in an anechoic environment and something like 93 db for in-room performance.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#39504 04/02/04 06:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
2x6 asked a good question that was going through my mind too - what type and how much variety of source material are you using for comparisons?

Are you using a sub at all?

Have you fiddled with speaker placement?

I'm very interested in your experience, so please keep the dialog going.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#39505 04/02/04 10:01 PM
local
local
I never had M3s, but I had M22s with no sub for while. IMO a sub (if only a Hsu STF-1) is an absolute requirement for bookshelf speakers like these.

I'd either keep the M3s and get an STF-1, or exchange them for M22s and get an STF-1. Either way you need a sub. It will totally change the listening experience. You won't have to turn the volume up as loud, and the sound will be much fuller and substantial.

#39506 04/02/04 10:15 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
My source is a 5 year old (and very simple) Sony STR d-315 receiver. This is only a 2 channel system and the receiver has only a bass and treble control along with a "low boost" button for added bass. I'm not running a sub and probably have no plans to immediately, though I'm closed-minded.

So far I've played Russell Watson, Les Miserables, and, for old time's sake, some Dan Fogelberg (which has a fair amount of instrumental variety). I've also listened to a bit of NPR radio, though the signals here are not good. However, that said, all the radio stations come through only in mono, so a side-by-side check of speaker brands is easier in one respect.

I also went out today and purchased a pair of Athenea AS-2B's as a further form of comparison (I'm trying to do my homework). Now I am in more of a quandry. I agree that the Axioms sound very "refined" in their reproduction. But the Athenas seem to come through (at least to my ears) a bit stronger in the "highs". And this is what I felt I was missing in the Axioms. I did not change any control levels during my comparison, only switched speakers. The Athenas are louder than the Axioms, as well, although louder is not always smoother.

I have been moving the speakers around (I'm not terribly limited in placement) and fiddeling with the contols, as has been suggested. There are strong points to both the Axioms and the Athenas (looks are not one of them for the Athenas).

I also wanted to find something in the same price range as the Axioms. And I paid $275.58, with tax, for the Athenas. Of course, they are made in China, so price is not an indicator of much. Ahhh, our global economy. O.K., I have to say this: democracy (and capitalism)is slowly coming to China. In a few years they'll all be making $15 an hour and the Athenas will be produced in the States using cheaper labor:)!

Anyway, my research goes on. Thanks again for helping me along that learning curve!!

#39507 04/03/04 02:39 AM
shareholder in the making
PM, your own words in your last post show how you at least partially invalidated the comparison you made. You stated that you changed no control levels and that the Athenas(as were the Yamahas previously)were "louder". That's the problem, or at least part of it. In comparing different components it's necessary to adjust volumes to be as equal as possible(not really possible over the full range of speakers)since louder tends to be perceived as better. In particular, the highs become more apparent the louder a speaker is played, due to the Fletcher-Munson effect. Keep experimenting.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#39508 04/03/04 06:18 AM
What does a British techno band have to do with this?

#39509 04/03/04 07:40 AM
Maybe they couldn't make enough money just writing about sound? Trying to follow the success of the Thiele Small Parameters?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#39510 04/03/04 01:40 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Cute, real cute! As I said, I'm on a learning curve. So, when I read this term, I immediately did research into it. But the BT site is interesting. too! I love learning about new cultures!! Thanks for the link!

#39511 04/05/04 01:01 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Well, I'm still doing comparisons. This morning, I auditioned some Paradigm Titans and Mini Monitors. I found the Titans to be only fair. The Mini Monitors were more impressive--while they were being played on a $1,000 receiver. When switched to a $300 receiver, the sound was appreciably poorer. I asked the salesman if all the controls were equal on both receivers and he asured me they were. Of course, nothing will sound in a showroom the way it will on my old Sony receiver. So many variables!

Now to the Athena AS-B2's I purchased(and still have). I thought they might be good competitors for the Axioms when I played a few CDs through them. But today, I played a DVD on my Panasonic Rv-32 and the Athenas were quite disappointing! And I did make a few adjustments to the controls.

I have another question regarding speaker "break in". I know that there are many opinions on the subject in these forums. The Axiom owners manual only gives a nod to this, but the Athena brochure clearly states a suggested 50-100 hours of break in. My question is this: does this have to be CONSECUTIVE hours or just accumulated. I'm not really in the habit of leaving my equipment on all day.

Thanks for any input!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup