Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Surge protection module who cover the entire house
nickbuol #394823 07/03/13 11:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I almost installed THIS at our house, but I'll save it for the new one...

Scott

My HT
nickbuol #394855 07/04/13 12:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
The vendor web sites and "electrician" forums that came up in the google search say otherwise and encourage the use of internal sure protectors as well as the whole house. They don't sell surge protector strips, so they aren't making any money with that statement. They still say that the whole house is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more important though.

The video I linked above talks a little about using both types of surge protection near the end of it. That mirrors what other information I found.

You are right though. Most people buy a "power strip" thinking that it is a "surge protector" and those are completely different and the price reflects that.

Whole house surge protection is the only importance in terms of surge protection. Protection to surges is dissipating the energy to outside ground harmlessly. Not even knowing a surge occurred. This is what a whole-house protector does. Destructive surges come from your outside power line. Surge protection strips can't protect from the surges that are actually damaging to every single thing plugged into your wall.

Surge protection strips are nothing more than glorified extension outlets with flashy lights.

Actually you would be surprised by how many company shills promote these type of products on web forums.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #394909 07/06/13 12:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

Surge protection strips are nothing more than glorified extension outlets with flashy lights.

Although, the ones that say $XX, XXX equipment coverage can be good if you are prepared to jump thru all the hoops. We had a Tripplite surge protector for the office equipment and registered the product when we got it installed. When we had a problem (BIG surge due to Hurricane Isaac last year), they covered the damage to the computer. I had to supply a wiring diagram and sign some papers, but they did cover the repair.

Scott

My HT
a401classic #394911 07/06/13 02:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: a401classic

Although, the ones that say $XX, XXX equipment coverage can be good if you are prepared to jump thru all the hoops. We had a Tripplite surge protector for the office equipment and registered the product when we got it installed. When we had a problem (BIG surge due to Hurricane Isaac last year), they covered the damage to the computer. I had to supply a wiring diagram and sign some papers, but they did cover the repair.

I remember you posting something like that last year. Didn't you lose some of your HT equipment as well that was plugged into a surge protector?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #394927 07/07/13 12:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good memory. All the HT equipment was plugged into Brick Wall surge suppressors and I had issues with the EP500 and both Emo pieces - ironically it turned out to be blown fuses in the low voltage DC sections of the equipment, not the higher voltage AC sections (primary fuses). I did lose one amp section (single 150W) and was able to buy a two channel amp (75W each) to replace it, so the new amp is powering the rear surround speakers. I pulled the matching 150W amp section and have been slowly going over the bad one one resistor at a time. I found one resistor that had exploded, so as soon as I can find the correct resistor, I'll get it replaced and continue troubleshooting. If i can get it up and running, I'll have two 150W amps to build a stereo system... so goes the idea anyhow.

Scott

My HT
Chevy #395108 07/13/13 06:01 AM
Chevy Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
smile Ok I finally take it !!! The proposal of my electrician is a Seimens model: SPD4home (1080 joules) for 150$ installed in the same time of my new main 200AMP distribution panel. Thanks for your advice, Everything will be installed on July 13.

.... on by the way, i forgot to tell you that 2 weeks ago, i placed an order for... for.... a new pair a custom wood M100 !!!!

Cambridge Audio 640r,M100,VP150v3,QS8v3,EP500v3
BlueJays1 #395167 07/16/13 12:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Plug in surge protectors is like wearing a condom with a hole in it.

Well he did say that he values what he plugs in.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters