Re: finally getting a surround receiver
Emzdogz #395833 08/06/13 10:48 AM
E
Emzdogz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
E
Update: I got a Yamaha RX-V1800 in really beautiful condition. THe bad part is it came with no manual and it's also missing the little YPAO (sp?) mike that lets it auto adjust the individual speaker levels.

Spent the whole weekend clearing out a room for it, and putting together a TV and audio stand that I bought.

I had the hardest time getting it to work properly. Especially since a "known good" HDMI cable ceased to be good during the hook up process. It was hours of cursing and trying different things.

I'd really like all my input devices, inc. cable box to attach to the receiver via HDMI, and then just send the one HDMI "out" to the TV set. When I tried that, it didn't work - but then later I discovered that the HDMI cable I've used for years between TV and cable box had "gone bad". I practically snatched myself bald over this.

So I will try it again this way soon.

The only speakers I have connected are my M50s as fronts, and then I also hooked up some little Polks wired to the surround speaker outs - but for now I've just got them sitting on top of the M50s. This weekend I should be able to position them correctly and attach my M3v3s, also.

On the front panel, playing stereo CD's through my DVD player via HDMI to to TV and then digital coaxial cable direct to receiver, it only shows "L" and "R" as being active.

I need to research why that is. I'm guessing it's because it recognizes that the signal going in is only 2 channel. I really don't know - but it does concern me. In the stereo modes both sets of speakers do play - but only L and R are displayed.

I have one of my subs hooked up, too. Oddly enough, it doesn't automatically shut itself off when the receiver is off. With my Harman Kardon stereo, it would shut down when no sound was present.

Anyway, I just HAVE to read the manual. Kind of hard to read on my 13" laptop at home. Maybe I can get a hard copy of it on eBay or something.

I ADORE the sound though! Lush but not sloppy. In the 7 channel stereo enhanced mode my ancient CD copy of "Honky Chateau" sounded fantastic. I can only imagine how it would be with an SACD, and all the speakers hooked up.

Anyway, that's where it's at!
smile

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL
Emzdogz #395834 08/06/13 12:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When I read my manuals on the small screen of my iPad, I can make what I'm reading in larger print by zooming in. Surely, there's a zoom feature you can use. If it's a PDF file, you can zoom to make the words larger by clicking on a plus sign.

CatBrat #395835 08/06/13 12:19 PM
E
Emzdogz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
E
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
When I read my manuals on the small screen of my iPad, I can make what I'm reading in larger print by zooming in. Surely, there's a zoom feature you can use. If it's a PDF file, you can zoom to make the words larger by clicking on a plus sign.

yeah, I can zoom. A paper manual is easier to use. (for me)

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL
Emzdogz #396029 08/12/13 12:00 PM
E
Emzdogz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
E
Had fun listening to both music and the sound from TV on the new surround system.
So far I have M50s as fronts, one little Polk as center (have a "real" center coming soon though) an Infinity sub and my M3s as the surround speakers. They are still not mounted on the wall though, and are positioned more "behind" me than they should be.
But still. it's all shaping up.

Once I get the real center, I will have this extra pair of the speakers - the little Polks.

Question: for those of you who put music first (i.e. need good sound for music rather than for TV or games) would you rather have a pair of REAR speakers as part of your system, or a pair of presence speakers?

My receiver will only play out through one or the other, unless either the rears or the presence pair are powered by an outboard amp.

Due to space constrictions, my M50s have to be very close to each other. Thinking maybe I could mount the presence speakers on the wall behind the TV but spread them out pretty far.

Anybody else have to make the choice to go with rear speakers or presence?

thx!
Em

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL
Emzdogz #396031 08/12/13 02:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
My mains are fairly close together as well. I have the side surrounds mounted fairly close to the front wall. This helps give the impression of width. Then I also have a single QS8 mounted in the middle of the back wall, with the volume turned up louder than the system set it as, when I have the furniture arranged so that one loveseat is close to the screen. (The beauty of MCACC's multiple calibration storage capability.)

Emzdogz #396034 08/12/13 03:29 PM
E
Emzdogz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
E
I'm getting the feeling that experimentation plays a part in all this!

Over the weekend I had an awesome experience using one of the Yamaha settings that mimics the acoustics of a particular room. Typically I haven't cared much for those settings, because they just sound really echo-ey.

I watched the documentary/concert movie "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" about Chuck Berry (and so many others in the cast of characters)

When they were speaking the voices sometimes souded really echoey - and then I looked where they were standing and , duh, they are in a cavernous space - so naturally it would sound echoey. So I waited until the music started up, and I'm really REALLY glad I did - it just plain ripped and jumped and sounded fantastic! No feeling of hollowness or echo, just in your face music.

So that was fun.

Thinking maybe I'll pick up another similar set of the Polks and leave a rear set and a presence set hooked up and switch between them according to what's on.

I have an extra other set of speakers I suppose I could use, but they are 6 ohm speakers, and I don't want to throw anything into the mix that could strain the receiver.

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL
Emzdogz #396040 08/13/13 01:48 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Em, there's no good reason not to try out those other speakers as back surrounds. A rated impedance of 6 ohms(with much of the frequency range likely well above that)causes no problem with any modern HT receiver.

The surround modes I suggest are DPLII(which I always use)and Neo:6.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #396051 08/13/13 11:06 AM
E
Emzdogz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
E
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Em, there's no good reason not to try out those other speakers as back surrounds. A rated impedance of 6 ohms(with much of the frequency range likely well above that)causes no problem with any modern HT receiver.

The surround modes I suggest are DPLII(which I always use)and Neo:6.

thanks for the info JohnK. I will go ahead and try them then. It's a smallish early 90's pair of JBLs. I like them enough to not get rid of them.
Also, so far I've used Neo:6 pretty much. Some sounds better in the Neo:6 Music and some in the Neo:6 Cinema.

thx again.

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL
Emzdogz #396080 08/15/13 12:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Enjoy! Sourrounds make a huge difference to the listening experience in my opinion.

-David
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020