Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
PS3, PS4 or Oppo
#398150 10/25/13 06:21 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Along with our tv, our PS3 was also stolen. What say you? Replace it with another PS3, wait a bit and get a PS4, or forget the console and get an Oppo 103?

It should be noted that 90% of our PS3 use was for Netflix/Hulu streaming and physical disc playback (dvd/cd/blu-ray). We rarely used it for gaming and use XBMC via an attached PC for network streaming of my ripped media.

Personally I'm leaning towards the Oppo and finding a used PS3 cheap for the occassional gaming. Of course that's the most expensive option.

What do you guys think?

Re: PS3, PS4 or Oppo
spiffnme #398151 10/25/13 07:08 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
never mind. Rog says PS3. Kinda figured the extra $150/200 wouldn't fly. LOL.

spiffnme #398152 10/25/13 07:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Poor Mr. Bear, nobody ever asks him ...

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
spiffnme #398160 10/26/13 02:14 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Rog is wrong, Oppo all the way.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
spiffnme #398242 10/28/13 04:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
How is he going to play the new "Batman Arkham Origins" on the Oppo??

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
spiffnme #398249 10/28/13 07:50 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Pros and cons of having a new job I really love. Pro: Love it, Con: pays about half what I used to make. So many toys I'd love to have (Oppo for example)...and good god, so many new Axiom toys. *sigh* Some day.... smile

spiffnme #398250 10/28/13 07:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
PS 4 all the way!

-David
spiffnme #398271 10/29/13 02:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm going to be getting a PS4, but if my PS3 broke right now, I'd replace it (and cry a lot because it's one of the original 60 gig fat boys).

I have many PS3 games, a lot of which I've not even played.
There are a ton of PS3 games out there, older ones that are marked down, and you always see the best games of a generation at its end.
The PS4 doesn't play PS3 games.
The PS4's launch titles don't interest me at all, even the ones that have been pushed back to early 2014.

I'll get a PS4 fall of 2014 when Dragon Age: Inquisition is released.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
spiffnme #398318 10/31/13 09:53 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B

spiffnme #398323 11/01/13 03:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Oppo. I got 2 of them.

brwsaw #398332 11/01/13 03:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: brwsaw

I'm betting ever. They probably didn't include an IR laser diode.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
spiffnme #398343 11/02/13 02:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: spiffnme
Along with our tv, our PS3 was also stolen. What say you? Replace it with another PS3, wait a bit and get a PS4, or forget the console and get an Oppo 103?

It should be noted that 90% of our PS3 use was for Netflix/Hulu streaming and physical disc playback (dvd/cd/blu-ray). We rarely used it for gaming and use XBMC via an attached PC for network streaming of my ripped media.

Personally I'm leaning towards the Oppo and finding a used PS3 cheap for the occassional gaming. Of course that's the most expensive option.

What do you guys think?

The Xbox One is perhaps the most advanced and powerful multi-media server to exist right now. Full cable box integration (HDMI IN), complete media streaming from home network, dvd,cd, blu-ray playback. 2k support (Blu-ray and gaming). Snap multi-tasking, instant switching between games, apps and media. Voice and gesture control. ESPN, HBO-Go, Netflix. You can even connect your PC, xbox 360, PS3 or PS4 to it if you want to.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398583 11/16/13 01:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sold my ps3 and now have a ps4. Now if only sony will hurry up and add 3d bluray support...

-David
terzaghi #398584 11/16/13 01:39 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Hey, let us know how you like the PS4 after a few days, especially the Blu-ray playback. I want to replace my PS3 so I can pass it on to my parents. They're without a Blu-ray player at the moment. I'm more interested in the Xbox One for games simply because of the Kinect 2, but I fear what the interface will consist of for media functions.

spiffnme #398585 11/16/13 02:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The PS4 launch exclusives was pretty weak (no surprise) but it will improve for sure. My concern is some of the quality issues that are propping up being an early adopter like faulty HDMI ports (losing video) and the red line of death. A few review sites consoles had issues and people are reporting these issues now.

I'm thinking of returning or selling it as I won't receive mine until Monday (Futureshop botched pre-orders).

BTW the Xbox One won't have 3d support at launch either.

-Max Payne
CV #398586 11/16/13 02:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
but I fear what the interface will consist of for media functions.

Have you seen any videos of the UI in action? It is sweet.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398587 11/16/13 02:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If pressure is applied to the left-hand side of the console or the back right corner, the unit wobbles slightly. The reason for the teetering motion is attributed to the placement of rubber feet on the underside of the console; there are two fins that run down the center of the PS4 and cause the unit to be unbalanced on a flat surface. (IGN)

Does this happen with your console? If you do try it take out any disks before applying pressure. Just curious.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #398588 11/16/13 03:33 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Have you seen any videos of the UI in action? It is sweet.

No, I haven't kept up on it. I don't know what's wrong with me.

spiffnme #398589 11/16/13 04:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll have the xbox one next week. I'll report back with impressions of both. So far I have only played around in the dashboard and set up apps and stuff, plus about 10 minutes of resogun.

Gotta work tomorrow so hopefully some blurays on Sunday.

-David
BlueJays1 #398590 11/16/13 04:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If pressure is applied to the left-hand side of the console or the back right corner, the unit wobbles slightly. The reason for the teetering motion is attributed to the placement of rubber feet on the underside of the console; there are two fins that run down the center of the PS4 and cause the unit to be unbalanced on a flat surface. (IGN)

Does this happen with your console? If you do try it take out any disks before applying pressure. Just curious.

Yeah, same thing. I can't imagine why this would be a problem unless you planned on setting something heavy on the back right corner or left side, which would lift up the rubber feet on the opposite side of the force and tilt the console a bit. It's the whole console moving, not just half of the shell or anything.

It's completely balanced on a flat surface sitting by itself or if you decided to stack another console uniformly on top (which could reduce airflow?)

My biggest complaint is the launch selection

-David
spiffnme #398657 11/19/13 03:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, I ended up playing around with the PS4 today.

Setting everything up was a breeze. What I was impressed with immediately was the noise floor of the console. It runs very quiet. That makes me really happy.

The user interface and navigation is kind of blah. Simple but works fine. It makes me want to try out the Xbox one and the Kinect. IMO I think the Kinect will end up being an integral part of the next gen experience.

In Killzone you hear audio logs through the speaker on the controller. It's neat but at the same time it detracts from the experience because the audio sounds so strained. Worse than a telephone. I ended up turning down the volume that Sony had set on it. I think audiophiles would agree they would rather have that sound come out of their home stereo. The controller only took a few hours to charge in standby. The controller emits all sorts of bright colours. Orange when it is charging, blue in tutorials, green when you are playing the game and red when you die.

The touch pad is an amazing edition (in Killzone it essentially acts as a swipe d-pad) but I am finding I have to look down at the controller when I use it. Doesn't feel natural yet.

I'm kind of mixed, there is some amazing technology going on but it is also diminishing returns to what we are currently getting on the xbox 360 and PS3. I'd like to try the eye but I probably won't buy it because the majority of the user base won't have one.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398659 11/19/13 07:00 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Thanks for the feedback. I still think I'll end up getting the most out of a PC running Steam, but I do hope the Kinect 2 gets PC support sooner rather than later. I'm still not sure what about the PS4 will entice me to purchase it, other than some exclusive games down the line.

spiffnme #398664 11/19/13 02:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I won't be buying the new PS4 or XBox One. Heck, we bought a XBox 360 a couple of years ago when the Kinect came out, but it has sat idle (like our Wii) for MONTHS. Yet, I game on my PC multiple times a week. My opinions of the launches are:

1) PS4 - No day-one games to write home about. Be honest, you know it is true.
2) PS4 - People that came from the PS3 like the new controller, even if the touchpad is awkward to get used to.
3) Xbox One - Better launch day games
4) Xbox One - More integrated as a whole entertainment system
5) Both - Missing key "promised" or "hoped for" features at release.
6) Both - Need a launch day update.
7) Both - Fanboy systems for at least a month if not two until they start getting more titles out and start offering those additional features.

Almost anything around blu-ray playback such as 3D, etc has been somewhat speculative as to what they have out of the box vs. future.

And sure, you can bicker about the $100 price difference, but I think that you are getting more for the money with the XBox One. Is the "more" that you get worth $100? I don't know, but you do get more than a gaming system that happens to play blu-rays (it might become a great blu-ray player like the PS3 was, but isn't there yet compared to many standalone players).

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #398670 11/19/13 04:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I won't be buying the new PS4 or XBox One. Heck, we bought a XBox 360 a couple of years ago when the Kinect came out, but it has sat idle (like our Wii) for MONTHS. Yet, I game on my PC multiple times a week. My opinions of the launches are:

1) PS4 - No day-one games to write home about. Be honest, you know it is true.
2) PS4 - People that came from the PS3 like the new controller, even if the touchpad is awkward to get used to.
3) Xbox One - Better launch day games
4) Xbox One - More integrated as a whole entertainment system
5) Both - Missing key "promised" or "hoped for" features at release.
6) Both - Need a launch day update.
7) Both - Fanboy systems for at least a month if not two until they start getting more titles out and start offering those additional features.

Almost anything around blu-ray playback such as 3D, etc has been somewhat speculative as to what they have out of the box vs. future.

And sure, you can bicker about the $100 price difference, but I think that you are getting more for the money with the XBox One. Is the "more" that you get worth $100? I don't know, but you do get more than a gaming system that happens to play blu-rays (it might become a great blu-ray player like the PS3 was, but isn't there yet compared to many standalone players).

What promised features are missing? On the xbox one all I can think of is 3D support which can come along in a firmware update later (same thing with the PS4). The PS4 there is a lack of streaming, cd playback, 3d support. At least two of those can get fixed with a firmware update.

I think it is quite amazing the value you get with either system regardless at launch. I think the xbox one will offer greater value because of the technology, advancements and integration that the Kinect 2 will offer. Can you build a gaming PC for $399+tax that of the caliber of the PS4?

It's remarkable how cheap we can get technology these days. IMO both the PS4 and Xbox One are a bargain.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398675 11/19/13 07:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Consoles are cheaper than gaming PCs hardware wise but you will find better deals on PC games (definitely if you can wait a couple months).

Plus you can do a lot more things on a PC than a console.

Then there is the whole upgradable thing... a year from now PC's will begin to distance themselves once again from these new consoles hardware wise.

That said I think a lot of it is just personal preference. I own two 360's yet I've probably only played about 8 hours total of video games on them and probably not for at least 2 years now. I just use them as MCE extenders for my HTPC. The reason I don't play games on them is I just can't enjoy video games with controllers. I must have a keyboard and mouse.

INANE #398679 11/19/13 09:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: INANE
Consoles are cheaper than gaming PCs hardware wise but you will find better deals on PC games (definitely if you can wait a couple months).

Then there is the whole upgradable thing... a year from now PC's will begin to distance themselves once again from these new consoles hardware wise.

That said I think a lot of it is just personal preference. I own two 360's yet I've probably only played about 8 hours total of video games on them and probably not for at least 2 years now. I just use them as MCE extenders for my HTPC. The reason I don't play games on them is I just can't enjoy video games with controllers. I must have a keyboard and mouse.

Yay for keyboard and mouse! I am pretty darn good with that combo. Never took to using my thumbs for much besides racing games. FPS games I totally suck at with thumbs, but my gaming mouse and decent keyboard work great.

I talked to a manager today who works at a GameStop. He said that they get consoles for the staff to use prior to launch dates and they get paid time to use the systems and play the games. From a gaming perspective, he was disappointed with the PS4. He said what I've heard elsewhere "when the best thing to talk about is the controller, and even that is flawed with the goofy touchpad that requires letting go of the controller for the most part to use, then you don't have a good system." He said that he is more hopeful about the XBox One that they get to start using tomorrow.

Doesn't help with the video playback question originally asked, but the web is full of "My PS3 is WAY better for blu-ray" and so forth.

For those that still wonder, read this garbage article from Electronic House.
6 Reasons to Buy the PS4 Even If You Don’t Care About Gaming

Check out the comments below it. Lots of hate and disappointment.

Again, here the top things are "apps". Yay, I have a $35 blu-ray player with those apps and more.
#2 is a specific app (hey, isn't that technically the same thing as the first one?) This app is like a lot of video on-demand services, and it isn't like it is free.
#3 it has a blu-ray player? What the hell? This is a big deal how? It isn't like this is something cutting edge.
#4 Support for DTS 7.1 - OK. Nice for a gaming system, but again, combined with everything else, this is not a big deal when you can do everything listed above for less.
#5 Support for 1080p? Is this lady writing this on drugs? So much other stuff doesn't 1080p for less. Heck, you can build a HTPC for a few hundred bucks that does more than this for the same price as the PS4 running on an old 2-core CPU.
#6 it is $100 cheaper than the XBox One? Is she getting some kick-back from Sony? You'd think so. The XBox One technically has more advanced hardware when adding the Kinect 2 (which looks damn cool in what it can do vs. the somewhat gimmicky original Kinect).

I just don't get it. Then again, I am not dropping any coin on either system. It isn't that I am anti-console. I currently own 3. XBox 360, Wii, and an old Sega Dreamcast with a boatload of accessories and games. Not sure what I am dong with that still though. I have also owned a Nintendo 64, original NES, Sega Genesis, and then jumped way back to an original Atari 2600 and even the original Sear's branded PONG with wired paddle controllers.

I just don't see the current hype about them. I think that the XBox One will do better out of the box on Day One, and has more to offer (at a price of $100), but when people online make such stretches to find use and value in a $400 gaming system, it is hard for the logic in me to get too excited about it.

I certainly am not anti-PS4 or anti-XBox One, and if you own or pre-ordered one, or whatever, cool. I honestly hope that you are happy with your purchase. I have no right to tell you how to spend your time or money. Good luck to all of you. I will just keep on doing hard core gaming on my machine that also does blu-ray playback (at 1080p, with DTS 7.1 decoding, with any app I want), and can do business apps like the whole Office suite, video and photo editing with the Adobe Master Collection of software, master DVDs and blu-rays, stream to other machine in the house, or from other machines like my media server, surf the internet, voice chat with friends, send email, watch TV, interface with pretty much any USB connectable device, download massive demo discs from the web, load with whatever O/S I want with whatever interface I want, so on and so forth. Sure, it cost more, but for the price, it does a heck of a lot and gets used for all of it too.

OK. I'm done ranting about this stuff. I will get off of my soap box, toss it into a burn barrel, throw in some gas, light 'er up, and walk away. If you've made it this far, then I must have said something that struck with you (good or bad).

Peace...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #398682 11/20/13 03:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Originally Posted By: INANE

Yay for keyboard and mouse! I am pretty darn good with that combo. Never took to using my thumbs for much besides racing games. FPS games I totally suck at with thumbs, but my gaming mouse and decent keyboard work great.

I talked to a manager today who works at a GameStop. He said that they get consoles for the staff to use prior to launch dates and they get paid time to use the systems and play the games. From a gaming perspective, he was disappointed with the PS4. He said what I've heard elsewhere "when the best thing to talk about is the controller, and even that is flawed with the goofy touchpad that requires letting go of the controller for the most part to use, then you don't have a good system." He said that he is more hopeful about the XBox One that they get to start using tomorrow.

Doesn't help with the video playback question originally asked, but the web is full of "My PS3 is WAY better for blu-ray" and so forth.

For those that still wonder, read this garbage article from Electronic House.
6 Reasons to Buy the PS4 Even If You Don’t Care About Gaming

Check out the comments below it. Lots of hate and disappointment.

Again, here the top things are "apps". Yay, I have a $35 blu-ray player with those apps and more.
#2 is a specific app (hey, isn't that technically the same thing as the first one?) This app is like a lot of video on-demand services, and it isn't like it is free.
#3 it has a blu-ray player? What the hell? This is a big deal how? It isn't like this is something cutting edge.
#4 Support for DTS 7.1 - OK. Nice for a gaming system, but again, combined with everything else, this is not a big deal when you can do everything listed above for less.
#5 Support for 1080p? Is this lady writing this on drugs? So much other stuff doesn't 1080p for less. Heck, you can build a HTPC for a few hundred bucks that does more than this for the same price as the PS4 running on an old 2-core CPU.
#6 it is $100 cheaper than the XBox One? Is she getting some kick-back from Sony? You'd think so. The XBox One technically has more advanced hardware when adding the Kinect 2 (which looks damn cool in what it can do vs. the somewhat gimmicky original Kinect).

I just don't get it. Then again, I am not dropping any coin on either system. It isn't that I am anti-console. I currently own 3. XBox 360, Wii, and an old Sega Dreamcast with a boatload of accessories and games. Not sure what I am dong with that still though. I have also owned a Nintendo 64, original NES, Sega Genesis, and then jumped way back to an original Atari 2600 and even the original Sear's branded PONG with wired paddle controllers.

I just don't see the current hype about them. I think that the XBox One will do better out of the box on Day One, and has more to offer (at a price of $100), but when people online make such stretches to find use and value in a $400 gaming system, it is hard for the logic in me to get too excited about it.

I certainly am not anti-PS4 or anti-XBox One, and if you own or pre-ordered one, or whatever, cool. I honestly hope that you are happy with your purchase. I have no right to tell you how to spend your time or money. Good luck to all of you. I will just keep on doing hard core gaming on my machine that also does blu-ray playback (at 1080p, with DTS 7.1 decoding, with any app I want), and can do business apps like the whole Office suite, video and photo editing with the Adobe Master Collection of software, master DVDs and blu-rays, stream to other machine in the house, or from other machines like my media server, surf the internet, voice chat with friends, send email, watch TV, interface with pretty much any USB connectable device, download massive demo discs from the web, load with whatever O/S I want with whatever interface I want, so on and so forth. Sure, it cost more, but for the price, it does a heck of a lot and gets used for all of it too.

OK. I'm done ranting about this stuff. I will get off of my soap box, toss it into a burn barrel, throw in some gas, light 'er up, and walk away. If you've made it this far, then I must have said something that struck with you (good or bad).

Peace...

The Xbox one can multi-task everything media related that a PC can do along with controlling your cable/satellite box all via a controller, speech or gesture.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398684 11/20/13 03:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So far I'm really digging the ps4. The console is super quite and appears to work great for blurays. As far as gaming goes I'm pretty impressed with need for speed and resogun . I haven't played killzone yet but it is sitting on my coffee table waiting for me to find some free time. I also have battlefield 4 but haven't opened it because I may swap it for xbox one to play with friends. I like the controller much better than ps3, but still prefer xbox controller. The share and option buttons are recessed somewhat and hard to feel for when clicking. I originally thought the thumb sticks sit up a little high but am used to it now.

Overall I really like the system, feel like it was worth the price, and am looking forward to future games

FYI:
Xbox one console reviews are out at 11 central tonight.

-David
terzaghi #398690 11/20/13 06:44 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Very nice. I'm glad the operating noise is negligible.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Xbox One.

BlueJays1 #398691 11/20/13 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What promised features are missing? On the xbox one all I can think of is 3D support which can come along in a firmware update later (same thing with the PS4). The PS4 there is a lack of streaming, cd playback, 3d support. At least two of those can get fixed with a firmware update.

I think you're mixed up on the streaming. The PS4 has Twitch TV streaming with the 1.50 update (and it's actually really neat, I've been watching Gabe from Penny Arcade play in the evenings), where as the XBO isn't getting streaming until 2014. It'll have 5 minute recording that you can upload later, but no live video. Ironically, it does have a Twitch TV app, so you can watch PS4 streams. smile

So far the only game I really want to play on a next-gen system is Dragon Age: Inquisition, and that doesn't come out until Fall of 2014. So I'll be holding off until then.

As for gaming on a PC, I like the mouse look, but the keyboard isn't a good input device for movement. Plus, I have so much trouble with games working right. I have an awesome workstation PC, that's great for all the production work I do (editing photos, rendering video, composing music, writing code), but every time I try to game I run into trouble. Recently I wanted to play the demo of The Stanley Parable. It'd seem like it would lock up every minute or so, but alt-tabbing out, and back in would allow it to resume. I never have trouble like that on consoles. I'm sure it's because of some hardware I have (likely the audio interface), but that's not an issue on a fixed platform.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
spiffnme #398703 11/21/13 01:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks like xbox one doesn't allow surround sound through cable with the hdmi pass through without enabling some kind of beta setting....

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/live-tv/digital-sound-not-working

http://kotaku.com/how-to-get-your-cable-tv-surround-sound-working-on-xbox-1468565797

-David
spiffnme #398721 11/21/13 04:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I received the Xbox One console a day early. I will hook up but I won't turn it on until the 22nd. I don't want to take the chance of my console getting banned because I think it goes right to the update.

On the PS4 pre-order they send me games and an extra controller early, yet I didn't get the console on it's release date. With the Xbox One they send me the console early but I don't think I will get any games or the extra controller until monday.

Anyways it will give me extra time to play around with the UI and setting up the Kinect.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398722 11/21/13 05:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Microsoft did unban all the people who received their XBOs early as of yesterday.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
spiffnme #398727 11/21/13 08:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I preorded from amazon and they haven't even shipped it yet. I could just go down to wally world and buy one. No much point of selling day one if its a week or more late. Amazon blows.
rant over smile

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #398734 11/21/13 09:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Socketman
I preorded from amazon and they haven't even shipped it yet. I could just go down to wally world and buy one. No much point of selling day one if its a week or more late. Amazon blows.
rant over smile

Yeah. The problem isn't Sony, MS or even the shipping company. It's the warehouse sending them out too late. Futureshop botched the pre-order on the Playstation and now have made up for it sending the Xbox One a day early. But they forgot the games. Doh!

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398740 11/21/13 11:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just fired up this shiny new system.

Update went fine. Setting up the Kinect took about minute. The voice activation works well for the basic stuff I have tried so far in the menu. I'm sure there will be growing pains along the way. I have not logged into Xbox-live yet. Just messing around with settings.

I think the UI is a step up from the PS4. It's neat. My PC even detected Xbox-System OS over the wireless connection. It wants to allow me to play content from Windows Media Player.

The console itself is as quiet as the PS4 but the external power brick I can hear. It's not too loud but in terms of console noise I would have to give the edge to the PS4. They did an excellent job on that.

It seems the power brick stays "on" (white light) when you turn off the console with both the Kinect On/standby or Off. I haven't figured out how to shut the entire system off (where it would consume no power)

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398742 11/22/13 01:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm really not a gamer , but I love new tech so I bought it and the kids will play it. My biggest gripe is the 1 doesn't have WMC which I think is a huge omission. I have 3 / 360's as extenders and I really didn't want another box cluttering up my entertainment center.

I really could have cancelled my order but they are for Christmas anyway so I will wait it out. I just like to bitch LOL smile

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
spiffnme #398755 11/22/13 05:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Today's Google Doodle's 8 bit games, FTW.

I'm surprised our resident Doctor Who hater hasn't jumped on this already. He's probably busy playing.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
spiffnme #398757 11/22/13 06:35 PM
Weird, I'm not seeing it.

Aw lame, they're not doing it in the US.

Last edited by Ken.C; 11/22/13 06:36 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Murph #398759 11/22/13 06:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Murph
Today's Google Doodle's 8 bit games, FTW.

I'm surprised our resident Doctor Who hater hasn't jumped on this already. He's probably busy playing.

I'm not even supposed to be in this thread..

Just a generic Google search page in the US today. Must be that a majority of the US Citizens don't give a rip about Dr. Who. grin

Farewell - June 4, 2020
spiffnme #398820 11/24/13 02:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A few initial impressions on the xbox one

1.). The tv interface is pretty slick but my wife isn't as convinced and doesn't plan on talking to the TV any time soon. "Xbox on" turn on my tv, receiver, and xbox. Whole family need to be on board and realize you now watch tv through xbox with xbox being on. You can then control DVR as usual. I like being able to say "watch espn" or whatever to flip back and forth between channels. Since my living room is open to my kitchen I could even switch between football games while getting food ready.

2.) the xbox TV guide is a nice feature. It has a channel guide that can be pulled up with voice commands, controller, or phone and then you can swipe through the guide and select channels with your phone or tablet using the smartglass app

3.). Battlefield 4 is fun and graphics are great. However, the servers were off and on yesterday and it is a PITA to join a game with a friend. Hope they fix it. The voice chat on xbox one is amazingly crystal clear, much better than the chat on ps4. The headset included with xbox one is better than the cheap in ear piece on ps4

4.). The cars on forza 5 look beautiful but the track scenery is just average. Sun lens flare is top notch though. The rumble in the triggers make the driving experience much more immersive. Going back to the ps4 to play need for speed feels odd.. The non rumbling gas and brake triggers suck after using the xbox one controller.

5. The GUI will take some getting used to and is not as simple as the ps 4 interface.

Overall I feel like the xbox one is going to be a great gaming machine and entertainment hub. Like most published reviews I feel like some software updates will improve the overall system, improve voice commands, etc. I'm pleased with my purchase so far if I had to pick between xbox one and ps4 I'd have a hard time deciding.

-David
spiffnme #398832 11/24/13 06:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh yeah, Xbox one is very quite, not noticeable difference to ps 4 as I can't tell either one is turned on, but I haven't sat there with my ear right next to it or anything. I have not tried bluray interface on the xbox yet

-David
terzaghi #398838 11/24/13 07:59 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Thanks for your continued updates. I imagine I'll be waiting until after the holidays to plunk down the cash on either. My parents ended up buying a Blu-ray player, so I don't need to pass my PS3 on to them.

terzaghi #398841 11/24/13 10:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Oh yeah, Xbox one is very quite, not noticeable difference to ps 4 as I can't tell either one is turned on, but I haven't sat there with my ear right next to it or anything. I have not tried bluray interface on the xbox yet

I watched some Boardwalk Empire on both consoles. With the Xbox One when you first insert a Blu-ray disk it prompts you to an update in the 20ish MB range. Both the PS4 and Xbox One are superb Blu-ray players. The only difference between the two is the Xbox One you also have the option of using voice commands to bring up menus, Pause, Stop, Play, FF, RW etc.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398875 11/25/13 11:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Apparently you can tell the PS4 a handful of commands without the PS Eye. Neat! I have not tried it out yet because I can't stop playing on the Xbox One. You will have to go into settings and enable voice commands.

http://www.igameresponsibly.com/2013/11/17/ps4-can-execute-several-voice-commands-without-ps-eye/

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398894 11/26/13 11:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Same here, haven't played ps4 since I got xbox one, but mostly because I enjoy forza and battlefield a lot on xbox

-David
spiffnme #398895 11/26/13 03:29 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J

7.1.4 * MRX1120 * M100s * 180HP * 4x M3-on walls * 4x M3-IC * dual XV15se * Shakers
terzaghi #398896 11/26/13 04:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Same here, haven't played ps4 since I got xbox one, but mostly because I enjoy forza and battlefield a lot on xbox

I have been playing Dead Rising 3. With the exception of some wonky/frustrating controls at times it is a really fun game.

I don't think I have seen a generation of consoles where the hardware and style of games are so similar (PS4 and Xbox One) yet what I experience with each one is totally different.

My initial impressions of the ability to use Kinect 2 integration with the UI and it's ability to interact in games like Dead Rising 3 that it is worth the $100 premium at launch. There is a lot of technology going on here.

The voice integration is not perfect by any means but when its used in ways to act as a natural extension of the controller rather than "the experience itself" it adds an exciting element and depth. A great thing to look forward to is the software and development can only improve over its life cycle. It's ambitious.

-Max Payne
spiffnme #398959 11/30/13 02:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So I tried the xbox fitness demo and about 10 minutes of insanity on xbox fitness. It seems like a really cool idea. You get feed back on your exercise and earn points as you go. The best part is that you unlock achievements as you are doing different exercises, which actually seems rewarding . I can see myself using this fitness thing a few times per week or on days I can't make it to the gym.

-David
terzaghi #398961 11/30/13 04:57 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I have a couple of friends doing Insanity. Trying it out through Xbox Fitness might be a good way for me to go. I definitely need something to keep me active.

spiffnme #398964 11/30/13 01:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I only found one insanity video so far and 2 p90x videos on there. There are a ton more other options tho. Most are free with xbox live gold, but some you have to buy. I don't reccomend trying the xbox fitness out after 2 beers and 2 vodka cocktails though, but hey I was curious to see how it works.

-David
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020