Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: FIlling In Your Holes
BobKay #403720 05/01/14 05:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Putting the Smiths on there - who I like a lot - really pushes it into the 1980s, where you could also lobby for R.E.M and U2. Maybe the Police - too pop?

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #403722 05/01/14 06:31 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I cannot believe Kevin and I forgot The Whom!!!!!!

For him I KNOW it's Tommy and for me, for sure, Sellout.

I have every Who record!!! How'd I do that? Thanks for pointing that out.

Kevin and I did that over an entire weekend at my house "doon nuthin.'" There was a LOT of discussion. (He'll croak when I tell him we forgot Pete and Co.!) We left Boston out, because we're from here and we know that they were never real until they had a record out. None of us in working bands had ever heard of them at the time. But, yes, indeed, everyone in the world had the first and second one (7 years later; 10 more for the 3rd).

Rush just wasn't all that here for most of us. I know of no one who doesn't respect them, but I also have no friends here who own one. I tell you, it's that g.d. clarinet!

And, yes, it was very much an "if you buy only one record by______,then..." A lot of these are not my faves by these artists, just the ones that we thought would tell the listener the most important things about their part(s) in the bigger picture.

I do not like The Ramones, or a ton of others here. That's why I wanted to do it with Kevin. Someone who knows us both could look at that list and tell if the choice was mutual or, if not, exactly whose inclusion it was. Kevin would not have included 10cc. They were just never on his radar. You know how that is. I loved Kansas. AOR Ambien for him.

We also left out tons of mega, word-wide hit albums by the likes of Al Stewart, Christopher Cross, Men at Work and hosts of others. Yes, for the same reasons you are thinking right now.

We could have, should have included Blue Cheer, "Vincibus Eruptum," if only because we all fell for it (i.e. bought it) and it is STILL out there, on 180g and remastered, even.

You should hear it, all the way through, once in your life. No 3-piece had ever used 3,500 watts worth of amps before, AND they were from SF, so we were all sold right away. What they do to "Parchment Farm" should have included jail time. Poor Mose Allison! He wasn't even dead then!

So, it really is a melding of two peoples' tastes, but with, like, a 70% crossover rate (common ground).

And you're correct. Choosing the artists was often way easier than just one album by them. (I would have conceded "Sellout" for Kevin's "Tommy" choice.)

Thanks to all for your "Notices of Omission." Was hoping to see some passion! Pissah!

Cam: lol!!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
medic8r #403723 05/01/14 06:35 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Putting the Smiths on there - who I like a lot - really pushes it into the 1980s, where you could also lobby for R.E.M and U2. Maybe the Police - too pop?

Another good catch. We have both become so disavowed of Sting, that we forget he was in a band, a great one at the time, too.

Kevin would totally concur. First album is in the late 70's, right. Your inclusion. YOU pick one Police album.

Maybe we considered them too "cuspy?"

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #403729 05/01/14 07:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The Police - Outlandos d'Amour
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes
The Allman Brothers Band - at Fillmore East
ZZ Top - Eliminator
The Clash - London Calling

BobKay #403730 05/01/14 08:06 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I gotta agree with PJ- Those five should all be on there.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
BobKay #403731 05/01/14 08:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Van Halen - Van Halen (by a hair over 1984).

I guess you lumped Journey and Styx into the popular abyss with Fleetwood Mac and Boston. Fine with me!

P.S. - I found my outrage, Bob. I'm sure you'll be happy to hear it. Here goes.

Ahem.

Yo, Yankee boy - where's the Southern Rock - the Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special??!

Never mind. I don't do outrage very well. Carry on.

medic8r #403732 05/01/14 09:21 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The Police - Outlandos d'Amour
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes
The Allman Brothers Band - at Fillmore East
ZZ Top - Eliminator
The Clash - London Calling

Had they been included, those are EXACTLY the ones I would have picked. All really good ones.

See, neither of us really liked the Allmans, so they completely missed our list radar, but that IS the one!

Last edited by BobKay; 05/01/14 09:21 PM.

medic8r #403733 05/01/14 09:28 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Van Halen - Van Halen (by a hair over 1984).

I guess you lumped Journey and Styx into the popular abyss with Fleetwood Mac and Boston. Fine with me!

P.S. - I found my outrage, Bob. I'm sure you'll be happy to hear it. Here goes.

Ahem.

Yo, Yankee boy - where's the Southern Rock - the Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special??!

Never mind. I don't do outrage very well. Carry on.

I would have, but they were among Kevin's "unchallenged" vetoes. I like 'em both. See, we Yanks never got over that "you people" thought long hair was for fags and so was rock/pop. Then a whole decade later, you give us group after group of Yetis, all drooling onto Gibson Les Paul's.

We can always count on you Southerners to arrive to the party all hoopin' and a hollerin' when it was actually held last month.

tomtuttle #403736 05/01/14 11:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Well, if we're adjusting for the masses, I think you have to take "Who's Next".

Yeah, it's Who's Next" for me. I plead guilty, unashamedly, to being a part of the masses.

Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
How about Tower of Power - Back to Oakland?

Good call!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #403740 05/02/14 01:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ajax
Found it interesting that you listed CSN's FIRST album. The consensus seems to be that the second album, Deja Vu, was their benchmark album. Personally, though I loved Deja Vu, I always preferred the first album. ...

Deja Vu was the first album I owned, but I absolutely love CSN's first.

I know most of the list Bob, but for some reason I completely missed Eno the first time around.

America's debut album is a glaring omission though.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters