Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
adding to the FAQ page
#4078 07/02/02 02:21 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I've had this idea to have Axiom add to their FAQ page, or maybe even setup a FAQ page based on suggestions from the forum users, to answer alot more of the most common and recurring questions.
This way forum users can easily direct the first time newbies to the Axiom FAQ before answering more of their questions.

So here are my suggestions for additions to the Axiom FAQ (add to the list as you will):

1) What is biwiring?
2) Will biwiring add to the speaker performance or make them sound better?
3) What is biamping? (use some simple diagrams to illustrate the above)
4) What type of speaker wire is best for use with my Axioms?
5) Is $15/ft speaker wire better sounding than $2/ft speaker wire?
6) Will my Axioms work and sound good with a different brand of speaker?
7) Where should i place my surround speakers? (diagrams)
8) How do i properly setup my subwoofer in my room?
9) How do i calibrate my home theatre setup?
10) What is Amie's middle name and why? How old is Ian really? (diagrams)

11) Why does Randyman get to live where he does and how come he hasn't invited the rest of us to visit yet? (map)

Remember now, these are PURELY suggestions.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/02/02 02:28 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: adding to the FAQ page
#4079 07/02/02 09:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Chesseroo,

I've revised a few of the items on the FAQs page but there is much to do yet. Thanks for the suggestions. Clearly, a priority is research on the Randyman question and I believe a company trip is in order. . .

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4080 07/02/02 10:34 PM
old hand
old hand
Oh goodie. A field trip! Where do we sign up?

#4081 07/02/02 10:51 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Is it true that Axiom is giving away trips to Hawaii?

(and you wonder how rumours get started eh?)

#4082 07/04/02 08:55 AM
veteran
veteran
Cool! free trips to Hawaii from Axiom! Sign me up!
Or - you could say "road trip" (but that would be a challenge!)

Extensive research by the Axiom design team, blind golden eared listeners and dedicated Axiom audiophiles (like Alan - and maybe chess...) - I think it should happen. If you have never heard this before then take note - It's really true that sounds SOUND different here - and it has to do with several unique physical factors here.

1. The humid salt air in the middle of the Pacific here has a lower capacitance than any other place on the planet - and thus as the (soon to be sound) electrons travel thru speaker wires, they are accelerated beyond light speed and end up coming out of the speakers just slighty before they are actually amplified. (Its true! This effect on time was predicted by Einstein in his theory of relativity)

2. The humpback whales that vacation here in the winter hum/create a frequency that is somehow amplified by the basaltic ocean water(unique to Hawaii) and it travels thru to the volcanic soil, reverberates inland and effects music reproduction by interacting with speaker vibrations at the sub atomic level. (which cancels out the BAD harmonics - leaving only beautiful music)

3. Anytime someone uses too much pakalolo, EVERYTHING sounds good! (wink)

Funny stuff! Keep 'em coming chess...

Randyman

Last edited by Randyman; 07/04/02 09:01 AM.
#4083 07/04/02 12:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now I am REALLY intrigued.. It does make sense, based on what he said, that the sound does sound different there. I remember a post a couple of months back where someone said their speakers didn't sound as good when the air was very cold as opposed to warmer. I wonder what other earthly and environmental effects may alter speaker performance.

If ever I go to Hawaii, I'm bringing my M22's!!

#4084 07/04/02 02:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Hey Randyman,

OK, where can we find this pakalolo stuff?

CAV104

#4085 07/04/02 07:01 PM
buff
buff
Randyman, I don't know if you're joking or not so here goes. Electrons don't move through the wire anywhere near the speed of light. In a 12 Ga wire carrying 10A, electrons move 2.22 X 10^-4 m/s. It would take more than an hour for any given electron to move 1 meter! As you can see electrons actually move very slowly, it the SIGNAL that moves fast, not the electrons. It's like when you turn on a hose that is full of water. Water starts pouring out of the end almost instantly. Wire is full of free electrons, all pushing on one another. I would like to know which aspect of Relativity (Special or General) predicts this. The largest particle accelerators cannot even accelerate an electron past the speed of light and they use potentials approaching many, many, many thousands of volts and capacitor banks larger than a house. I would think that excess ions and humidity from salty air would cause some electrons to leak out of exposed wire. Kinda like how it's harder to shock somone with static when it's humid.

#4086 07/04/02 08:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Well CAV...
I'm told it used to grow wild all over the place - until the feds decided to try and wipe it out. Now it seems that it is only found in remote areas of Maui, Kauai and the Big Island. Don't really know why........

ravi - you would need a BIG suitcase!

danr
Oh man - sorry I messed your head up! Maybe I used too much pakalolo!

So.. what happens if the hose is NOT full of water when you turn it on?? Or when/if there are NO free electrons in the speaker wire? How long would it take for the sound to emerge?

Randyman

Last edited by Randyman; 07/04/02 08:18 PM.
#4087 07/04/02 09:45 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Danr, I believe the words 'humourous sarcasm' should have been imbedded in most of his post.

Although for note, you are correct. Electromagnetic energy moves at the speed of light, but not the electrons themselves. They just vibrate alot (for lack of a better word).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup