Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: a nice LCD set
#41582 04/15/04 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The little LCD's do kind of look bad, IMO. But, it all depends on the source. Most people running the 15-20" LCD's are doing so with standard cable all the time. That means that they get a crap 420i image from (most likely) a non-digital cable source.

The large LCDs that most people are talking about here are teh LCD rear projectors. They take LCD technology and bounce a light beam off of a pixelated LCD chip, creating the image on teh screen, whereas with the flat panel models, you are actually viewing the LCD without any projection.

I would reccomend going with a CRT little tv. You're talking a third of the cost, and better picture in that case. But, if you've got no room, or want a tech fix, then the small LCD's can be fun.

#41583 04/15/04 05:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good explanation. I figured these guys weren't blind or crazy.
We want to be able to hide the bedroom TV when we pop for new, fancy a** furniture so the big TVs are out. We usually only listen to the news for 30 min or so each night so PQ is a total non-factor.

#41584 04/15/04 05:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My parents bought a 17" one for that very purpose. My mom keeps it in the kitchen (it tucks nicely against the wall in a little windowsill-type nook). The PQ is blocky, pixelated and noisy, but she doesn't care and it definitely serves a purpose. She wouldn't have any counter space with a 17" tube tv there. Not to mention, it looks pretty neat when it's turned off...

#41585 04/15/04 07:56 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In reply to:

Not to mention, it looks pretty neat when it's turned off...

That's got to be the quote of the year.

#41586 04/15/04 08:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joema,

Like you, I've never experienced the "rainbow" effects that apparently up to 20% of viewers see on DLP sets, at least the ones with the slow color wheels (the DLP sets with the fast color wheels eliminate the rainbow effects).

Unlike you, I consistently find the black levels of rear-projection LCD sets to be not as good as well calibrated DLP rear-pros, nor is the contrast as good--the "snap" of the image. However, the last 50-inch Hitachi rear-pro LCD I saw looked very good, almost as good as a nearby Samsung DLP, and it was much less expensive than the DLP.

I also seem to notice horizontal fast-motion artifacts more on LCD rear-pro sets--when basketball players move quickly from one end of the court to the other. But I haven't heard others complain of this. Perhaps the annoyance factor of these and other artifacts are variable from one person to another. And I find that the image quality of any of these rear-pro HDTV displays is improved by using the old three-times-the-diagonal screen size viewing distance.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#41587 04/16/04 04:46 PM
local
local
It's difficult to properly assess HDTV quality from in-store demos. Lighting conditions, source material, and calibration varies so much. Even if you take your own DVD, that's not Hi-Def. Yet what other options are there?

In general I like DLP a little better (I have a Samsung HLN-507W), however in one side-by-side demo between the 61" Samsung and the similar sized Sony Grand Wega III LCD, the Sony looked much better. LCDs are usually cheaper.

I always caution people about getting hung up on often-discussed technical differences, which they themeselves may never notice. E.g. DLP superior black level, rainbow effect, LCD "screen door" effect, etc. If you notice it, fine, but don't decide because someone else noticed it, likely in a different environment.

To me, any of the display differences or artifacts (except for color banding) are trivial next to the variation in source material quality. It's similar to Axiom speakers -- maybe there are some better speakers but what's the point if Axiom is sufficiently good that you're almost always limited by source material quality?

On my HLN-507W using Hi-Def Comcast cable, the Hi-Def source material varies from barely above analog NTSC to so clear it's like an empty picture frame hung in space. There's just huge variation in the telecine (film to video) process for file-based material. Likewise for original HD produced material, there's wide variation in quality. Maybe some of this is MPEG over-compression by the provider, or bandwidth stealing by statistical multiplexing. But with the current HD source material situation, I don't see the point of increasingly refined display technology, except as a vehicle for future developments.

When HD DVDs are finally available, and there's reasonable material available in that format (note that's two different things), then I can see true usefulness from more refined HD displays.

Re the old 1:3 screen diameter to viewing distance calculation, for HD displays you may want to sit somewhat closer than this. For this reason carefully consider the screen size and viewing distance.

#41588 04/16/04 05:08 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Here's what I've personally seen...

1) DLP - I've never seen rainbow.
I HAVE seen digital artifacts (looks like compressed .jpg issues)
Nice black levels

2) LCD RPTV - I've seen gray black levels on some sets, and decent black levels on others. I've never seen GREAT black levels.
- You can see the "screen door" if you're about 6 inches from the screen. Who cares?

3) Plasma - Nice blacks
- Colors varied from natural to over saturated depending on the set I saw
- Biggest issue for me is the digital artifacting

4) CRT RPTV - Best blacks
- HUGE and HEAVY
- Seating position has to be dead on or you really lose pq.

5) LCoS - I've still not seen a set.

#41589 04/16/04 05:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Spiff the CRTs are huge, but not any heavier than 36" tubes. Plus they're on wheels and you'll find accessing the back of the TV considerably easier than your current TV. It is true that from an angle the picture sucks, but that is also where the "VP150 suckout" lies.
Make your in-laws watch and listen from that angle.

#41590 04/17/04 06:36 PM
devotee
devotee
Alan--

Have you seen a well calibrated LCD RPTV? They'll never match a CRT for black levels, but my Sony GWIII has really come to life -- and matched what I saw in DLPs -- when calibrated. The black crush has been virtually eliminated, and can clearly see details in even the darkest movies. Have never seen the motion issues you described in this TV, but that problem is *exactly* what drove me from the DLPs I saw.

For anyone else, in case you don't already read AVSForum, there are threads over there started by umr who has become pretty much *the* authority on calibrating Sony televisions. His notes on tweaks in the Service Menu in Sony LCD RPTVs are easy to follow, and make an incredible difference.

Even my wife, who would readily acknowledge that she doesn't care about this stuff, loves our Sony GWIII. Of course, she noticed the difference with the Axiom speakers as well.

Rich

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,034 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup