Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: New Member Here with a Question About Upgradin
#41735 04/16/04 12:14 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i been keeping up with conversation!! i didnt figure there was too much more i could add to what ya'll had already told him. but my .02 cents..

1. whatever you have to do, make room for the M60s
2. move the water heater anywhere, it will still produce bass
3. sell sectional and purchase one lazy-boy recliner w/heat and massage
4. use left over money to purchase keg fridge, and fill with one 16 gallon lone star keg.
5. invite me over, and sit on the floor as i enjoy your new bad-a$$ home theater while getting a back massage, and drink an ice cold lonestar..

yep, that should just about do it..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#41736 04/16/04 12:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Putting the SVS in the corner as you mentioned shouldn't hurt it's performance much at all. (If at all)

Move the sub, and put a pair of M60's on either side of your ET center.

(Did I mention how nice your setup looks?)

#41737 04/16/04 01:52 AM
devotee
devotee
You M60 boys, I tell ya.

I have the M22's and I think they produce good bass in stereo only mode (DVD-A in stereo with no bass management sounds incredible on my M22's). But when you add the sub, there really is not that much of a difference. I personally do not want floorstanders, I prefer the look of bookshelves on stands.

Rick,
Do not let the M60 people bully you into buying the M60s. The M22's are still mind blowing speakers. With your SVS, you are getting more bass than a lot of the M60 people anyway.

But hey, if you can afford the M60's, get them.

#41738 04/16/04 02:46 AM
shareholder in the making
Also, don't forget to consider the other speakers in Axiom's lineup. (Check out md55's excellent review of the M50s in another thread).

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#41739 04/16/04 03:00 AM
veteran
veteran
I just bought the M22's, VP150, & QS8's to go with an Outlaw LFM-1 sub. The M22's sound great in my 13x26 room. However, I really wish I could have gone for the M60's - in my case it wasn't space as much as it was the wife saying "I don't want huge floorstanding speakers". In reality they don't take up any more space but I couldn't get over those objections (for now).

So here's my suggestion...go for the QS8's, a VP150, and the M22's now - which (hopefully) doesn't blow the budget out of the water. When the wife gets you to buy a new house somewhere down the road you make sure the HT room is a little bigger and you move the M22's to the back, buy the M60's or M80's from the factory outlet, and upgrade the receiver to 7.1.

That way you keep the budget intact today, you put the money into speakers that can't be moved to another location (QS8's and VP150), and you've got a plan for tomorrow's upgrade (which you know you'll do eventually).

I don't envy your sleepless nights wondering what decision to make...glad mine are behind me (for now). Good luck!

#41740 04/16/04 05:56 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I have the M22's and I think they produce good bass in stereo only mode (DVD-A in stereo with no bass management sounds incredible on my M22's). But when you add the sub, there really is not that much of a difference.

You must have some interesting room interactions. In our (Peter's) setup, there is a very large difference between M22s alone and M22s + sub. Not that the M22 doesn't peform admirably on it's own, but the sub adds a significant improvement to the low end.

#41741 04/16/04 06:39 AM
I think he meant there's not much difference between the M22+sub and the M60.

Re: New Member Here with a Question About Upgrading
#41742 04/16/04 12:30 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Are you sure all you guys here aren't secretly hired by Axiom to sell their speakers? Especially Ray and Tom..You guys are most suspect of all...LOL

OK I hope you all are happy...after all that arm pulling (suprisingly it didn't hurt as much as I had figured it would)..

2 - M60's, 2- QS8's and a VP150 just ordered first thing this morning. If these things don't make me smile I will personally hunt everyone down here and give each of you a big lashing! No better pass on that some of you might just enjoy that...LOL

After a LOT of thought and consideration from all of your ideas I decided it was like this..

Bite the bullet and buy what I really want now so I won't have to go thru this a year from now. If I had gotten the M22's I was going to have to build stands to put them on thus ending up with a "tower" look anyway so that's why I figured why not get the M60's and not worry about stands. Since I sit about 18' from my TV I knew I wanted the V150 to make sure I didn't miss anything in the dialogue. And to round out the bunch the QS8's - Again due to my room size and vaulted ceiling I decided the QS8's would give me the fullest rear coverage & they would help make sure I didn't miss not having that back center speaker that I have gotten used to since I will loose it by going back to my 5.1 receiver.

Anyway all joking aside, I am sure that the Axiom's will be as much a change for the better and add so much more like I found my SVS to do for the LFE side.

Do you guys pressure ALL the newbies here forcing them to come over to the dark side?

Thanks to ALL of you here for your jokes, advice and suggestions in this thread. It has been a very enjoyable experience and look forward to adding this forum as one of my favorite places to hang out and also help persuade more to join the ranks of owning the best sounding speaker on the planet..

I will be sure and chime back in next week once the FedEx guy comes to visit and let you know what I ended up doing about the placement of my SVS as well as more pics of the final setup. (I will get better pics this time)

Thanks again..
Rick

#41743 04/16/04 01:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey guys. Did you all get your pay checks from Axiom this month? Mine's late! Rats!

Rick, I have been listening to M22tis, VP150, and QS8s augmented by a HSU STF-2 sub for a couple of months now. While not meaning to disparage the 22s, I felt something was lacking in the lower mid/upper bass range, so I ordered some M60s to replace the M22s. They arrived on Wednesday. In my room, and with my ears (I'm assuming both are different from yours ) BIG DIFFERENCE! The 60s have alleviated any doubts I felt with my former setup. I would be very surprised if you aren't happy as a clam with your choices, particularly if you're actually sitting 18 feet from your TV.

Having said all that, I wish to say to current and prospective owners of the 22s, that as I sit here looking at the box with my 22s packed up for FedEX pickup, I'm in a lot of pain. Axiom allowed me to keep the 22s while waiting for the 60s, AND sent me a prepaid Return Shipping label, to boot (How's THAT for customer service).

During the 6 week wait for the 60s, I came to really appreciate the 22s. They had no trouble filling my room, and for HT I felt they were flawless. It was only with music that I felt something was missing. If I didn't need the money, I would keep them for my bedroom system, with an eye to using them as rear surrounds in a future 7.1 setup. They are really GOOD speakers, and I'm gonna miss 'em.

So Rick, Have no fears. Ya done good!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#41744 04/16/04 01:28 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Jack,

Thanks for your post. I remember reading everything possible about my SVS sub before I decided to buy it. Everyone went on and on about what a difference it made and what a great sound it had. I keep seeing the SAME thing about the Axiom's as well. This is why I feel good again about my decision.

I have found over the years that an actual owners opinions and comments mean more to me than any review made by a magazine or other media. I will buy/use a product quicker from an owner's viewpoint than anything else.

Patiently waiting for the arrival..
Rick

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082