Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Q: Bass Management (Sub w/ M80s)
SRP #422764 01/25/17 06:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah SRP i am a pretty straight to the point person smile In all honestly ,you should not need a sub with 2 channel music using he M80's unless you like organ music maybe. I mostly listen to classic rock and 80's an 90's music, my main speakers have 12in bass drivers and i recently added a sub just becasue i had an extra one. Honestly i am underwhelmed using the sub in a 2 channel system. For all intents and purposes, a sub is more suited to HT use for LFE effects. I understand most people have room constraints but the best method is the subcrawl. Put the sub where you usually sit and then crawl around the room until you hear the best response. This is where the sub should go if at all possible, at the very least put it there temporarily so you can see what is possible. Depending on the size of your room, you may not have a large enough sub to pressurize it properly. Bass waves are very long and they tend to come back on themselves causing a both boosts and drops in varying frequencies , this where some type of room correction software can come in handy if you dont want to add bass traps. Honestly you cant just buy a sub, dump it in the corner and expect a great result, for truly great results some effort and testing is required.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
SRP #422774 01/26/17 04:50 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Final answer...
Have you moved your towers recently?
Sometimes a few inches forward or back can make a big difference at your listening position.
The M80 taught me that.
Sometimes no toe in is best.
They taught me that to.
Painters tape is a perfect tool for marking their current position before you move them. But...you need to remove it sooner than later. A month is too long.
M80...

SRP #422784 01/26/17 01:50 PM
S
SRP Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
S
@brwsaw: funny you ask - I'm constantly toeing then in or out (or zero!) a few degrees - 2", 4", 6" from the wall, etc - every slight move changes the character of the sound. The $149 sub is fulfilling a role at this point. May end up being a novelty and get banished to the TV room for movie sound fx - so, I may just end up full circle - 2CH M80. Then I can start pining for the V4 upgrade! Upshot is I'm more than happy with the M80 V2 - love them - every so often I get swept up in the 'the quest'... ;-)
Thanks again to you all and thanks for the b-day wishes (50s in the rear view mirror!) - forgot what a nice crew we have in this forum! Best to all, Steve

brwsaw #423891 03/06/17 12:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Originally Posted By brwsaw
Or...
You could consider trading in you V2's for HP V4's.
You might get a more than reasonable trade in value AND have a bit more natural bass when your not even looking for it.
Worse case you ship em back.
More likely though you'll hear and feel what you were searching for when you purchased your V2's.
Someone else here might give your V2's a new home, so you won't have to worry about them...
Lol.

I'm with this thought ....
Why , I too was not concerned about a sub when listening to music. I preferred the M80v3 alone, but was just missing that little bit extra ummpfff.
As for the EP350, if you into music more so, I'd definatly do atleast the EP500 for that sealed more tighter approach.
But, that said you would probably get what you are looking for with the M80v4HP as opposed to that Klipsh

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cork, BBIBH), 656 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup