Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do I really have room for M60s?? Hoping so!
#42420 04/23/04 03:07 AM
jaatea Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Wow, Denver, you da man!! (I'm curious though how you managed to so nicely manipulate my Smartdraw file - hopefully not too much effort needed?) And thanks also to refinements by ringmir. This is a layout I can work with (read: pitch to the wife with some hope of success) There are definitely some advantages to making this move. Huffer, I don't think going with the tv on the top wall works as the piano gets no viable home and the couch closes off the room too much. I've run some additional tweaks below:

Here are some of the pluses from our current setup:

1 Well, obviously I get a much better music listening experience. HT much better as well. I'm back to a 6.1 config.

2. I've got a place to put components instead of stuck in a rack in front of the tv.

3. I can pitch the benefits of the long table I've put behind the couch as a solution for putting drinks, etc. vs. a tray on the couch

4. Yes, the store room doorway is blocked but what the heck, we don't frequently go in/out, we hate looking at it and now we're facing away, we can still get at it and get things out. If we need to do signif. box moving etc. I can move part of the couch

5. This solution doesn't require moving the pool table which is a hassle and an expense. I've moved it back to where it is now in the above diagram.

6. The piano actually seems less like an afterthought there as it is faced by the couch; i.e. I can sit relax and listen to my wife play (I'm doing my own rehearsal here, can you tell?)

7. I can still reasonably re-angle the tv to be watchable from the pool table area when the boys come over to shoot some pool, catch a game and dring some brews (not necessarily in that order mind you).

8. Overall, the arrangement may make the space seem larger, more open, although the way it is now there is a nice feel of a cozy viewing area - it's just too damned hard to get the sound waves to cooperate as it is now.

Whew, give me some more time and I'm sure I can fabricate, ahem, identify more advantages to increase the WAF.

Admittedly, while the diagrams help, it won't be till I actually move the stuff that I'll have a good feel. That won't happen till the time when my wife is out and my son (18 and tall like his dad) is home.

Thanks again to all who pitched in. Boy, typing all this is not just a good way to get my case in shape for the boss, it's like a bloody cathartic experience. I want my nice tunes!!!

I will be sure to keep you posted and you can be sure I'll have more questions. There's still a receiver to buy and the other half of the room to discuss - "Zone 2" (I gotta have close tunes while shooting pool don't I???)

Also, I saw a post elswhere re: digital music. I'm researching best ways to get my extensive mp3s accessible.

Again, my thanks and kindest regards to all.

#42421 04/23/04 03:38 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I still think the sub should go under the table in the corner. It will make the closet more accessible. I have m60s in an awkward room by a corner aligned tv and it is far from ideal. (Thus my trying to convince you to rearrange.) I would care more about my arrangement if I weren't moving soon. I do my room design in Visio every time I move so I put things in the "right" place first.

Edit:
I wanted to mention that this would keep you from having to look into that cluttered storage room but thought maybe I shouldn't comment on anyone elses clutter while I have so much of my own. The piano comment is a very good observation and might earn some useful points. As for the room being more open, I think it will end up being much more comfortable. There should be a better flow around the table while playing pool, playing the piano won't cramp the passage to the seating area, and if there are more guests it will be easier to bring a few folding chairs down to set by the pool table for additional movie watching seats.

Last edited by ringmir; 04/23/04 03:44 AM.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#42422 04/23/04 03:53 AM
jaatea Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Some excellent additional points ringmir, thanks, I will add them to my WAF list.

Your right re the sub. I moved it due to the table but should definitely look to get it under the table instead. You can bet though that any diagrams I use to support my case with the boss will not have any speakers showing! Just going to stick with good points such as you've raised.

Well, it's late here but think I'll go shoot a rack then listen to some music b4 closing down. Good luck with your upcoming move.

#42423 04/23/04 04:10 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks, good luck with the boss, and I seriously envy the pool table. One of these days I'll have a basement like that, only minus the piano and maybe plus a frogger arcade

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#42424 04/23/04 04:44 AM
old hand
old hand
jaatea, it was a cut, paste, and rotate job in photoshop. If the walkway behind the couch is really only 18" wide, though, I hope you have a slimmer physique than I do! Don't drink too many beers when the boys come over for pool and a game, or you might get stuck on the way to or from the storage room (I suggest you keep the remotes within reach so you can entertain yourself until you slim down enough to escape).

#42425 04/23/04 10:50 PM
jaatea Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
denver, you're obviously proficient w/ PS, but it must still have been an effort - for that and the great idea, I am thankful.

Re the 18" space, I'm 6'5" so I've got a good deal of legs to keep my arse above things; hopefully that will be enough cause I'm no slimjim - I'll keep the remotes nearby just in case.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup