AAAA #403130 04/15/14 09:42 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Thanks Guys,

I have been looking into the lutron maestro IR dimmers. Are these the ones you have? I have a harmony remote I would use them with.

I know sconces are happening for sure, but cant decide on soffit pots or just two overhead lights for cleaning up in the space etc. Pots are cheap and eat up no headroom so that might be an option.

This is the kind of lighting my better half prefers:

I like the idea of having sconces and overheads on seperate dimmers for sure. I would likely put the rope lights on the same dimmer as the sconces. I'd wire it so all neutrals started at the switch box to have flexibility later I guess.

I will likely run cat6 to the a/v rack into a switch and split from there I guess. They are cheap nowadays. I'm planning on a 1 1/4 conduit run to the center of the front wall for feeding speakers behind the screen wall. I'll pull straight to the terminals and bypass wall plates wherever I can. The surrounds may also be piped, havent decided yet. Projector for sure with 1 1/4.

Re: Lets plan a theater space
AAAA #403132 04/15/14 10:43 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
yes the lutron works well with my harmony 1100.. actually I have 2 lutrons that are controlled with the remote

AAAA #403133 04/15/14 10:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I am using the Harmony One with mine without issues.

Note, I would control the rope light differently. Separate switch/dimmer...

Here is why:
When you want the cool effect of the rope light, but super dim, you are still going to have light directly above your screen (even with a soffit, etc). This can either wash out the image or mess with the contrast a lot as you eyes now have another light emitting into your eyes. Dark scenes in movies will either be washed out a little or in contrast to the rope light (even on dim) lose dark detail.

An extra dimmer is cheap in the scheme of things, and really the rope light is best left off anyway for during a movie.

My color changing LED rope light doesn't even go over the screen (it goes down the side soffits and across the back) and I never leave it on for during a movie.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
AAAA #403135 04/15/14 11:18 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Is there a dip switch or something on the lutron units to give them different IR codes. Ie command individually? 3 gang box sounds like where I'll end up. Sconces, ropes and overheads/pots controlled individually.

The soffit will be "8" shaped to conceal a beam in the center if the room. The front of the soffit will be behind the screen wall when done. I will likely go with a yellow or warm light if I can find some dimmable leds that dont need a transformer for every 20' or so. Maybe incandescent otherwise.

Many thanks btw for your input all. Appreciated! smile

AAAA #403139 04/15/14 11:44 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You guys.

I give up.

You're so far ahead of where I'll ever be, that I'm considering just watching everything on my phone and listening through earbuds from now on.

So, so cool.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
AAAA #403143 04/16/14 12:27 AM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Is there a dip switch or something on the lutron units to give them different IR codes. Ie command individually? 3 gang box sounds like where I'll end up. Sconces, ropes and overheads/pots controlled individually.

The soffit will be "8" shaped to conceal a beam in the center if the room. The front of the soffit will be behind the screen wall when done. I will likely go with a yellow or warm light if I can find some dimmable leds that dont need a transformer for every 20' or so. Maybe incandescent otherwise.

Many thanks btw for your input all. Appreciated! smile

None of that I know of.. I have two lutron switches because of the 2 pot lights banks.. they are controlled simultaneously from the harmony remote, when I turn on an activity they come all on then go to the fav preset of the lutron switch... one is set on half dim and the other off.. so I belive it would work for the application you are looking for... the only problem I have is to have the lights turn on when I ask the harmony to turn everything off..

AAAA #403148 04/16/14 01:32 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, if your remote send a "full on" signal to one, then they all get it. If you send the "preset" signal, then they all go to their preset (which CAN be set different per switch), but not independently controlled.

I can't remember if it was Lutron or another brand, but someone makes an additional unit that allows you to set up a number of "scenes" and you can connect multiple dimmers to it.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
AAAA #403149 04/16/14 01:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
OK. Found it. Leviton Vizia RF+ or possibly even better is the Z Wave...

I found this on the Z Wave (also mentions some other products too):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469044/multiple-dimmer-switch-remote-control

Just don't yell at me if you don't like the price.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
AAAA #403151 04/16/14 03:54 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
I could stand the overheads on a manual dimmer for entry/exit and general use. 2 lutron units could be used as scene lighting during movies as you have mentioned with preset dim levels. Pretty slick and user friendly.

Also

There will be a smart relay controlling a room exhaust fan off of my AVR trigger, so likely I can program it to open the main overhead lighting when BD input is selected. Makeshift automation, but works.

So, come in room, turn on main light switch.

Hit all on in harmony and sconces and ropes come on with gear.

Select watch movie (BD) and mains lights turn off (relay trigger) and lutrons dim down.

I'd set it up so "play" dims to off and "pause" or "stop" dims to preset.

Turning all off would return the relay to N/C state and main overheads would come back on. Sconces and ropes off.

This is already getting fun!

AAAA #403152 04/16/14 04:13 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
It has to be bulletproof simple for when the room is used when I'm not around.

A grafik eye would be cool, but holy expensive!

Lutron + harmony seems like the answer so far.

I checked out the z-wave stuff and it looks cool as well. Price will decide I'm sure.

Page 2 of 89 1 2 3 4 88 89

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters