Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: M100 max spl
MMM #427713 12/18/17 05:24 PM
devotee
devotee
I've heard the anthems are nice.

I know this is a topic debated as old as time but I'm of the camp that, room correction and eq settings aside, power is power. And one power source isn't going to sound better or "warmer" (or whatever catchy adjectives the industry likes to use lol).

I think having extra power on hand (headroom) makes a difference if you want it loud....but even that is debated by some. Especially with the sensitivity rating of axiom speakers. But I'm sure missing my rotel rmb-1095 I used to run frown. No service place in my small little town.

All of that being said, my quest for the m100's or something even bigger and badder ;), isn't to do with being unsatisfied with my m80's sound. On the contrary, I have been obsessing over speakers since I was 12 years old. I have been through many many pairs. High end to low end. My axiom m80s are the best speakers me ears have ever heard. Period. I fall in love with them over and and over again. The dynamics, the control, the soundstage...its all there. It's also a party speaker when I need it. It has some fucking muscle behind it's refinement.

All this talk about the m100 from me is just a desire to have the biggest and baddest lol...nothing more

In my space, the m60 would have done extrodonarily well. But I opted for the m80 because it was the flagship tower at the time.

And I got it with die cast baskets and dual inputs merely for the idea of increasing its value when I sell it (while it may be arbitrary, many average speaker heads look for this stuff). I did that because I knew I would need to upgrade to the new flagship down the road wink haha

I do realize that I will need more power for such monsters at the listening levels I wish to achieve but that will come in time. My rotel was a very nice power amp. Not as much power as an axiom amp, but I'd like to pay to fix it regardless. Perhaps to sell it and put it towards an axiom amp even smile

My most beloved power amp ever was a Bryston. And I know what I'm getting if I buy an axiom amp wink

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
AAAA #427714 12/18/17 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Chess i thought the same way and i can not explain it but when i added my Emo amp to my Denon receiver it was like a window had been opened. Was it expectation bias, i have no idea and wish i had introduced it differently with more A/B but thats no how idid it. When i went to seperates i found nirvana and honestly have no desire togo beyond my M80's though i did add qs8's a while back and that was awesome. I hope you can find your nirvana as well. My next quest will be some Mid Bass modules for the gut punch i really like but i need to get it without playing at high levels, im just not wired like i was when i was young and dont like it as loud anymore. Bass is easier on the ears.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #427718 12/18/17 06:16 PM
devotee
devotee
Yeah I would tend to agree. It's debated but I personally notice a difference when I have more power on hand. It's why I'm sad the rotel crapped out. Power amps like that aren't cheap.

So based off my experience, I think the difference you noticed is real and substantial.

My personality still needs bigger and badder lol wink

I'm pretty sure I had a discussion with someone at axiom before buying and gave them my room dimensions and layout....and they recommended me the m60. It went in one ear and out the other and I bought the m80's lol

Knowing that I'll need more power for the m100's eventually anyway, perhaps all this convo is pointing out that regardless of my plans, the priority should be more power first and then my inevitable upgrade wink

I can agree with that I suppose.

I have to do something with my monster rotel before I can focus on an axiom amp. Still debate whether I ship it to Vancouver to be fixed for an undetermined amount...or try and sell it damaged to a gear head.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
AAAA #427720 12/18/17 07:33 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I'm going M100s even though I love my 80s.

Gut punch...stay tuned! Heh heh...

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
AAAA #427723 12/18/17 10:30 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
I can say having rented a super amp (yorkville ap4k) they absolutely dont sound the same.

In fact, I could make the yorkville sound different than itself by varying its gain setting. You just learn stuff by doing. And forum knowledge/opinion can only take you so far. Rent one..... Long and Mcquade. 40$. Worth it for the bucket list. Be careful!!

Mad_Chesser #427726 12/19/17 12:14 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi Mad_Chesser,

You are bang-on with this thinking. If you want it loud and clean you need two things. Lots of dynamic headroom and speakers that can take huge peaks of power. We tend to get overly obsessed with things like RMS power ratings and continuous max SPL from a speaker but these are not the major parts of the equation. In an amplifier things like lots of capacitance in the power supply and the ability to have voltage sag are the important parts, as they create the multiple possible for the dynamic peaks. The RMS power rating creates the base that the dynamic headroom is calculated from so it is important from that point to view. But if the multiple is 1 (like in receivers) or 1.5 you will not get loud and clean. The actual continuous power you will need is not going to be the limiting factor, it will be the dynamic peaks. A quick look at the math shows this. To have 15 dB of dynamic headroom at 100 watts of continuous power will equate to a max dynamic peak of 3200 watts; 12 dB of dynamic headroom would be 1600 watts. That is some serious power that needs to be delivered cleanly for a brief moment. This where capacitance and voltage sag become very important. The other side of this is what is the speaker going to do with these bursts of power? The 100 watts of continuous power will equate to a max SPL required of around 100 dB, which will be achievable by any decent speaker. What matters is what does the speaker do with the dynamic peaks of 16 or 32 times this much power. The M80HPs and LFR880HPs will do fine with this. The M100s and LFR1100s even better. I can say from personal experience that running LFR1100s with an ADA1500-4 or 2 x ADA1500-2 will never crap out on you. Now that is a party!

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
AAAA #427728 12/19/17 01:21 AM
M
M
I sit 14' away, on the diagonal, from my M80s. 1 Watt should result in 83 dB of SPL. For 15 dB of headroom then, all I should need is a 1 W amp with 32W of dynamic headroom, right?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Ian #427730 12/19/17 01:39 AM
devotee
devotee
Thank you for that reply. It was informative and make sense.

I'm sold.

Ada1500 and a pair of m100's it is then! Haha wink

I'll buy the amp first though.

The ep800 is still last for my priorities(and pocket book though).

Me and the future wife are trying to save for a down payment for a house (we are renters). She is not happy with me putting all the extra money towards stereo until after we are in one. Can't say I blame her.

Sigh...it feels like its going to be forever haha

I got some decent toys to keep me occupied in the meantime

Love my m80's regardless of my future plans

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #427731 12/19/17 03:14 AM
devotee
devotee
I should note;

I'm very intrigued to hear the lfr1100 one day, but never really considered it because of my listening habits

It seems like something more geared towards the hardcore 2.0 stereo guys

I have ocd and rarely sit in the "sweet spot" for long

My stereo is often playing on extended stereo and I'm filling the upper floor with loud listening levels while I have people over or while I'm motoring around. That or blu rays and getting lost in home theater.

Usually me and my father get together for some beers and music so loud we can't talk lol

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
AAAA #427732 12/19/17 03:50 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Where I think you might be missing in understanding is that the sound that you get out of your speakers has gone through a whole bunch of other electronics to get to that point.

I don't know your source material, so I can only guess. But lets for the sake of simplicity say you are listening to a CD. The CD player gets the digital signal and runs it through the DAC inside with whatever filters it wants/has and outputs that signal through your RCA cable. The back of your Pioneer has a some analog inputs but the internals of the Pioneer is all digital, so you are then running your analog back through a ADC to put it back into the digial domain, then the internal signal processing happens, it goes through any required pre-ampfication in a digital form and then back out through another DAC to the pre-out's on the back of the Pioneer. That then hits your amp and eventually the speakers.

There is a whole load of CRAP that the sound goes through inside the Pioneer before your amp sees anything. it is converted from analog to digital and then back to analog with who knows what filtering in the process. You can have a fantastic amp but if the signal you are getting out the back of your (effectively) pre-amp is corrupted from what was originally recorded, I don't care how good your amp is, you are not getting the original sound. Some pre-amps do a great job and sound fantastic. I personally found every one of my Pioneers to corrupt the sound and make it worse than what I experienced with my older Nak or my newer Anthem. Again, that just might be my experience and mine alone

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082