Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Could use advice on programmable thermostat
Gr8_White_North #428181 01/09/18 04:07 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
honestly other than the ability to control with my phone it offers no improvement over a 60 dollar programmable stat from canadian tire. Also because i have only a 2 wire furnace i had to add a device called a fastat that mimics a 3rd wire so the ecobee can be powered by the furnace. Not only that the instrucions were wrong about where the 3rd wire went and i only figured it out after a 45 minute online chat with a tech when he inadvertently mentioned which terminal was to be used.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #428183 01/09/18 04:32 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
That is truly sad to hear. I purchased a Rona 7-day programmable 8 years ago for $16 on sale. It has swing settings and it's been very reliable. I would have preferred hysteresis settings but it works well enough.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Gr8_White_North #428185 01/09/18 04:46 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
i have been trying different settings ,it came set to .5 degree setting so i did that for a month but it was a real cold month,the next month i tried 1.5 degrees and raised the temp by .5 degree but it still a little chilly before the furnace comes on and i did that for a month. i am trying 1 degree see how the comfort part goes. so hard to tell fuel wise because the weather is so inconsistent. personally i think 1 degree is a good compromise.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #428368 01/22/18 02:41 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
You'd be better off getting a Tekmar boiler control. Just get simple two temp t-stats for evening set back temp. The Tekmar will moderate boiler water temp off outdoor temp. Great for reducing fuel usage.

Gr8_White_North #429158 03/25/18 02:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I used to use a Nest. I had a two wire thermostat at my old home. The nest would "vampire" the furnace. Pulsing it rapidly, too fast for the furnace to engage, just long enough to get some electricity for the nest battery. It worked fine.
I moved into a new home last year. Two wire thermostat. Installed the nest and was unlucky to receive a huge electricity bill. The nest did not play nice with the new furnace and caused it run too often(without heat coming on).
I ran a new 3 wire thermostat cable, but now my nest would not work at all. I dealt with customer support and found out that it had failed. I seemed to be a common problem with my generation nest.
If you are new to thermostats, with three wires, on wire is switched power for the furnace and the other is constant power for the thermostat to operate.

I bought the simplest Honeywell non programmable thermostat I could find and have been quite happy with it. I did not want to spend the money again on the nest. I had too many other things I needed for my new house. 68 degrees when we are home, 65 at night or if we are away working. If I forget to turn it down to 65, I don't worry too much about it.

Last edited by Lampshade; 03/25/18 02:05 PM.

M3 and
M80
Gr8_White_North #429159 03/25/18 06:30 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
In retrospect i should have just got another cheap thermostat from Canadian Tire to replace my wonky one. This one is working fine but it was a lot of expense with no real savings since i dont use the smart features one might use with a family coming and going. The real savings is in only heating the house when your home and awake. I keep it on the cool side of things and try to only heat the room im in. The nest and ecobee are just gimmicks imho.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #429161 03/25/18 08:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I used to have one of the Honeywell programmable thermostats from ~20 years ago, and it was still the best I have seen or used. The UI was nothing special, but the feature set (eg ability to program blower-only periods to mix the air without having the blower running all the time, PROPER support for 2-stage furnace) was exceptional. It used more wires between thermostat & furnace in order to communicate things like low/high heat & blower control.

The main thing I liked about it was that it learned response times & profiles for your house and used that information to properly manage the low/high heat options on a 2-stage furnace. Most houses show a temperature drop at first when the heat comes on as cold air from the periphery gets mixed with the warmer air near the center, and modern thermostats seem to interpret that as "hey it's getting colder I must need to switch the furnace to loud immediately".

These days I have a Bryant Evolution thermostat that apparently uses some kind of serial data link between furnace and thermostat. Seems to work well** but I miss the features of the Honeywell, and I seem to be stuck with timer-based 2-stage operation which can be pretty annoying (furnace switches to high with a mighty roar 30 seconds before thermostat decides that temperature has reached the set point and shuts it off) - the only real solution I found was to set the timer for long enough that high heat was never used except for the occasional bitterly cold day when low heat was not able to keep up.

The problem is that it's really hard to get a straight answer on feature set with modern thermostats - lots of info on how colourful the GUI is, lots of info on how the thermostat will revolutionize your lifestyle, but hardly anything on what it actually does frown

** actually it doesn't work all that well - furnace shuts down occasionally with a "configuration" error code, apparently caused by a firmware mismatch between thermostat and furnace boards... I'm going to get one or both ends updated next time the furnace guy comes around and see if that helps - it's not good if your furnace shuts down randomly in the middle of winter when you are away for a few days

Last edited by bridgman; 03/25/18 08:26 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Gr8_White_North #429164 03/25/18 10:02 PM
M
M
I am into simplifying my life nowadays. I yanked the thermo off the wall and installed a single pole single throw switch. When it's cold, I switch it on. When it's hot, I switch it off.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Gr8_White_North #429165 03/25/18 11:52 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I suppose due to my lowly income status and the kinds of houses i own or rent the furnaces have always been a simple 2 wire affair. I used some modern wizardry to get this stat to work since it needs power from the furnace. I am hoping that when i upgrade this furnace i can use the full potential of the thermostat as bridgeman mentioned. I would like the idea of being able to cycle the fan since from March on i get a lot of sun in through my large south facing window and it keeps the house warm mostly but it keeps the furnace off and the temp upstairs around 20 to 21 degrees. For now i have to put in a replacement tooth so thats 5g's slated for the furnace i dont have this year.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Mojo #429171 03/26/18 06:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Mojo
I am into simplifying my life nowadays. I yanked the thermo off the wall and installed a single pole single throw switch. When it's cold, I switch it on. When it's hot, I switch it off.

LOL !

I have thought about doing that more than once... but on the really cold nights it would be too much like living in a cabin and having to get up every couple of hours to refill the wood stove.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617