You are not logged in. [Log In]

Forums » General Discussion » Technical Questions » Help ID Axiom speaker - need a replacement woofer

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#429283 - 04/12/18 09:19 PM Help ID Axiom speaker - need a replacement woofer
ViperZ Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hi all, neighbour of mine brought over these tiny well built bookshelf speakers by Axiom.

One woofer voice coil is rubbing. Is it possible to get a replacement woofer somewhere?

The woofer is about 4-4.5" across with a model number A4208 on the back.

Thank you.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/MHp35Xq0i4aYYNAL2[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5i7BtPeFmwMpzxJ3[/img]

Not sure if the images showed up - these are links to photos in my shared album.

#429284 - 04/13/18 08:05 AM Re: Help ID Axiom speaker - need a replacement woofer [Re: ViperZ]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
Your best bet imo, would be to contact Axiom directly. Good luck!

#429286 - 04/13/18 11:05 AM Re: Help ID Axiom speaker - need a replacement woofer [Re: ViperZ]
BBIBH Online   content
connoisseur

Loc: Canada
that looks like the original AX lineup of speakers. I owned AX3's and I would suspect parts are difficult to find.

When my AX3's need replacement drivers, I ordered them from Axiom but had to perform a little cabinet surgery to make them fit.

As Adrian mentioned, call Axiom.

Mike

#429290 - 04/13/18 07:56 PM Re: Help ID Axiom speaker - need a replacement woofer [Re: ViperZ]
Gr8_White_North Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Whitehorse YT
I suspect finding a replacement driver is highly unlikely and my suggestion would to have it refoamed and when its done the voice coil will be re centered . Plenty of tutorials on you tube ,never done it myself but have had it done so you could send it to be redone.

#429293 - 04/13/18 09:55 PM Re: Help ID Axiom speaker - need a replacement woofer [Re: ViperZ]
ViperZ Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It's not the foam problem. The surround is rubber-ish and in perfect condition. One of the little wires connecting the coil to the terminals was intermittent, and looks like that fried the coil. I resoldered the wire, have good continuity on it when measuring DC resistance of the coil, but it sounds rough/rubbing. So the voice coil is shot.
I do not think they are willing to spend any decent money on the replacement, and all woofers on axiom audio site are like $80-90+. I might just drop a generic 4" driver in there and call it a day. Was hoping for a transplant if someone had one with bad tweeter or broken cabinet.

#429297 - 04/14/18 02:11 PM Re: Help ID Axiom speaker - need a replacement woofer [Re: ViperZ]
Gr8_White_North Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Whitehorse YT
Parts express sells the DATS which i happen to have one of and it measures a speakers thiele small parameters which would help you find a driver with similar properties. You could measure the one in the other speaker to help find a match. Also if you contact ian he may be able to provide the thiele small parameters, he did for me when i asked him in a PM.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,271 Registered Members
16 Forums
24,079 Topics
425,173 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters
Ken.C 18044
pmbuko 16437
SirQuack 13579